Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

On 10/12/2022 at 4:18 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

WITW085.JPG

I'm going to go out on a limb to try and identify this photo. I can't get the hills in the background to work at all from available online images so I have my doubts, but the rest of the scene looks like it might be the town of Portnahaven (left center) and the Rinns/Rhinns of Islay lighthouse (far right) on the Isle of Islay, Scotland. How did I do with this one?

Now that we are several pages further along this thread since I last posted the port lists and the latest photos have been identified, here are updated lists. We have now seen 588 different Cunard ports/cruise-bys according to my count. There are still plenty of opportunities to post photos you may have of any Cunard ports/cruise-bys we haven't seen yet. Also feel free to post photos offering different views of any of the ports we have already seen.

Where in the World 2022-10-13.txt   Cunard ports not seen yet 2022-10-13.txt

Another (potentially) interesting statistic is that the Cunard seen ports and cruise-bys list consists of 75 unique countries.  The top 10 countries represent only 50.7% of the 588 total ports.  Cunard certainly gets around in the world.  

Edited by sfred

Apologies, there was an error in my formula that calculated the number of unique seen countries.  The correct number is more impressive - 133 countries.  Considering that there are only approximately 195 countries in total in the world, that means that we've "seen" approximately 68 percent of the world's countries here in this topic.  Cunard's current and former ships, and her passengers here on Cruise Critic, certainly are well-traveled.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Apologies, there was an error in my formula that calculated the number of unique seen countries.  The correct number is more impressive - 133 countries.  Considering that there are only approximately 195 countries in total in the world, that means that we've "seen" approximately 68 percent of the world's countries here in this topic.  Cunard's current and former ships, and her passengers here on Cruise Critic, certainly are well-traveled.

And presumably a fair number of the 62 unseen are landlocked and therefore impossible, unless Cunard takes to river cruising.

3 hours ago, sfred said:

... Considering that there are only approximately 195 countries in total in the world, that means that we've "seen" approximately 68 percent of the world's countries here in this topic.  Cunard's current and former ships, and her passengers here on Cruise Critic, certainly are well-traveled.

Which set me thinking. How many have I visited? First count came out at exactly 50. Then I realised I hadn't included the UK 😳. So, a grand total of 51.

I have no doubt that a number of you will beat that.

8 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Which set me thinking. How many have I visited? First count came out at exactly 50. Then I realised I hadn't included the UK 😳. So, a grand total of 51.

I’m at 75,  so far only 5 landlocked.  Some were parts of a larger federation when I visited, but I now count them separately.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

7 hours ago, sogne said:

have we had this ?    Now official sail by

123.JPG

No, we haven't had this one. It isn't listed as a cruise-by call on our unseen ports list but it should have been. We've seen the port of Messina a few miles down the coast on the opposite shore (including one of your photos). But when the ships don't call there, Cunard lists this location on their itineraries as "Transit Messina Strait, Italy (Cruise-by)".

If I've identified this photo correctly, I'll added Messina Strait, Italy to the list of Cunard ports we've seen on this thread.

This brings up a couple more similar cruise-by "straits" listed on Cunard itineraries we haven't seen yet and aren't on our unseen ports list. Here are two more suggestions for cruise-by photo contributions. I'll add them to our unseen ports list.

Magellan Straits, Chile

Dardanelles Strait, Turkey

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

My numbers are much more modest.  42 total countries, 39 of which are on our seen list (the difference being Austria, Switzerland, and Czech Republic where Cunard is unlikely to visit).  However, only 20 of the 39 have been by Cunard ship.  That number will become 21 next month with the addition of Norway to the Cunard total, but I clearly have a long way to go --  time, funds, and border closure regulations permitting!

Edited by sfred

4 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

No, we haven't had this one. It isn't listed as a cruise-by call on our unseen ports list but it should have been. We've seen the port of Messina a few miles down the coast on the opposite shore (including one of your photos). But when the ships don't call there, Cunard lists this location on their itineraries as "Transit Messina Strait, Italy (Cruise-by)".

If I've identified this photo correctly, I'll added Messina Strait, Italy to the list of Cunard ports we've seen on this thread.

This brings up a couple more similar cruise-by "straits" listed on Cunard itineraries we haven't seen yet and aren't on our unseen ports list. Here are two more suggestions for cruise-by photo contributions. I'll add them to our unseen ports list.

Magellan Straits, Chile

Dardanelles Strait, Turkey

Well spotted and good thinking, @bluemarble.  I wasn't getting close with my research.  I tried several google searches for "electricity pylon near ocean" and variations thereof.  The closest match that came up for the pylon shape in @sogne's photo was in China, but I knew that was way off given the remainder of the photo clues.  Now that you've identified it, I do recall seeing this location during our QV trip from Civitavecchia to Venice in 2016.

28 minutes ago, sogne said:

a new one i think

Thanks @sogne.   This is the Helles Memorial in Gallipoli Turkey overlooking the Dardanelles Straight

Anzac day, on 25 April each year, is a very important day here in Australia, honoring the members of the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps from WW1, and all service men and women.  Mrs sfred and I go to the dawn service each year if we're in Australia on the day.

What is the history of your photo?  Was it taken on a Cunard voyage?

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Thanks @sogne.   This is the Helles Memorial in Gallipoli Turkey overlooking the Dardanelles Straight

Anzac day, on 25 April each year, is a very important day here in Australia, honoring the members of the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps from WW1, and all service men and women.  Mrs sfred and I go to the dawn service each year if we're in Australia on the day.

What is the history of your photo?  Was it taken on a Cunard voyage?

QV Black Sea 2013

• Like 1