Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Perhaps a missed Norwegian port. But I can remember what they were. Alesund?

Close.  I think it is Andalsnes, Norway.   There are matching buildings on a street called Vollan between Strandgata and Jernbanegata.

If correct that implies the ship is QV.  Perhaps the recent voyage that @photosg was on? Although I think that voyage departed Andalsnes after dark so perhaps this @bluemarble webcam was taken on a summer voyage.

QM2 was southbound offshore of Alesund and Andalsnes earlier today but the forecast high winds and sea state did in fact result in a rather bleak day and missed port.  So near but so far.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sfred said:

Close.  I think it is Andalsnes, Norway.   There are matching buildings on a street called Vollan between Strandgata and Jernbanegata.

If correct that implies the ship is QV.  Perhaps the recent voyage that @photosg was on.  Although I think that voyage departed Andalsnes after dark so perhaps this @bluemarble webcam was taken on a summer voyage.

1 minute ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Beat me to it. 

Having been there here earlier this year I thought I recognised that little plaza in the foreground.

Correct. That is Andalsnes and that image was captured during QV's most recent departure on 14 October 2022 at 17:42. I'm glad to hear the image is recognizable on it's own, @Colin_Cameron. I figured it might take some investigation into the location of the "Rauma Hotel". That image is courtesy of the folks at the Bakgården Thai restaurant in Andalsnes where the webcam is located.

7 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

I'm thinking Trondheim

That's correct, it is Trondheim. Well done.

Now would anyone like to identify the ship on the far right of the image? Hint: this is a very recent webcam capture and that ship on the far right is a relatively new ship.

1434135430_WhereintheWorld(121).jpg.479a

15 hours ago, bluemarble said:

That's correct, it is Trondheim. Well done.

Now would anyone like to identify the ship on the far right of the image? Hint: this is a very recent webcam capture and that ship on the far right is a relatively new ship.

1434135430_WhereintheWorld(121).jpg.479a

We're finally back home after the long flights from London.

I noticed AIDAbella also in Trondheim on the day that QM2 was there, 9 November, but AIDAbella was moored at the opposite end of town to the west of QM2, and is a very different colour and shape.

I didn't notice the ship in the webcam.  I've looked through my photos from the day but I don't have anything that covered that pier.  So at a rough guess based on the the hull colours I'll say one of the Hurtigruten ships?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sfred said:

We're finally back home after the long flights from London.

I noticed AIDAbella also in Trondheim on the day that QM2 was there, 9 November, but AIDAbella was moored at the opposite end of town to the west of QM2, and is a very different colour and shape.

I didn't notice the ship in the webcam.  I've looked through my photos from the day but I don't have anything that covered that pier.  So at a rough guess based on the the hull colours I'll say one of the Hurtigruten ships?

That is indeed a webcam capture from your recent visit to Trondheim on 9 November. That's a good guess the other ship is a Hurtigruten ship. That's what I thought at first too but the livery doesn't quite match Hurtigruten. I hadn't bothered to record the name of that other ship at the time so it took some detective work of my own yesterday to figure it out. It's a ship for a relatively new cruise line also operating Norwegian coastal itineraries similar to Hurtigruten.

58 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

That is indeed a webcam capture from your recent visit to Trondheim on 9 November. That's a good guess the other ship is a Hurtigruten ship. That's what I thought at first too but the livery doesn't quite match Hurtigruten. I hadn't bothered to record the name of that other ship at the time so it took some detective work of my own yesterday to figure it out. It's a ship for a relatively new cruise line also operating Norwegian coastal itineraries similar to Hurtigruten.

Havila? I had a flyer from them the other day. Can’t remember the name of the ship.

Edited by exlondoner

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Havila? I had a flyer from them the other day. Can’t remember the name of the ship.

That's correct. It happens to be Havila Capella although it could just as well have been her sister ship Havila Castor based on the evidence in the image. They both operate Bergen-Kirkenes itineraries.

12 hours ago, sogne said:

dont think we have had this a strait in all but name accessed partly by passaging another strait

123.JPG

I'm on the way to New York to join QM2 on Sunday for a Caribbean cruise. But that won't stop me from trying to identify a new “Where in the World?” photo from my hotel room.

I think this one is the Bosporus (Bosphorus). Turkey. I'm getting a pretty good match to Hidiv Kasri (aka Khedive's Palace) for that tower on the hill.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm on the way to New York to join QM2 on Sunday for a Caribbean cruise. But that won't stop me from trying to identify a new “Where in the World?” photo from my hotel room.

I think this one is the Bosporus (Bosphorus). Turkey. I'm getting a pretty good match to Hidiv Kasri (aka Khedive's Palace) for that tower on the hill.

Correct, enjoy your cruise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1