Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

5 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Well, I know where Queen Victoria is, but you asked, "Where am I?"

My initial thought was that you were in front of Sydney Opera House but the angle isn't quite right. Second thought is that you were at Mrs Macquaries Point.

Obviously a few years ago as QV still has her original sloping stern.

Very impressive. You are indeed correct.  It is Mrs M's point!  Taken in 2009.  It's only taken us 13 years to actually sail on her.

On 11/23/2022 at 12:25 AM, sogne said:

not the usual departure from this port  this route was taken to avoid hurricane to the south

18 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I don't know about anyone else, but you've stumped me.

No idea here, either.  I tried to think of which port departures in tropical-storm prone places would be westbound into a setting sun, but the potential list was way too long for the limited terrain clues in the photo.

7 minutes ago, sfred said:

No idea here, either.  I tried to think of which port departures in tropical-storm prone places would be westbound into a setting sun, but the potential list was way too long for the limited terrain clues in the photo.

Belle Isle Strait just after leaving Humber Arm and Corner Brook NF. Very vivid sky that night right across from south west to north west. Captain Wells told us next midday that extra watch was kept for icebergs. In 2019 QM2 enroute from Iceland had to abort this strait due to ice much further south than normal.Approached Corner Brook via Cape Race from the south.

4 hours ago, sogne said:

Belle Isle Strait just after leaving Humber Arm and Corner Brook NF. Very vivid sky that night right across from south west to north west. Captain Wells told us next midday that extra watch was kept for icebergs. In 2019 QM2 enroute from Iceland had to abort this strait due to ice much further south than normal.Approached Corner Brook via Cape Race from the south.

Thanks @sogne.  I never would have guessed.  Thinking "hurricane", I had somewhere in the Caribbean or Central America in mind.  But of course hurricanes and their remnants can impact the US northeast, Canada, and northern Europe also. 

We missed having Captain Wells on our recent QM2 journey.  He was one of our favourite captains.  I hope he is enjoying whatever has come next for him.

Hi @bluemarble.  Hope you are having a great Caribbean voyage.

When you have a chance, we need referee decisions on whether three recent @sognecontributions are new seen ports for the list.  If so, these would be ports 598, 599, and the significant milestone of 600.

598  Bosporus, Turkey  (post 4293)

599  Ailsa Craig, Scotland, UK  (post 4308)

600  Belle Isle Strait, Newfoundland Canada  (post 4326)

39 minutes ago, sfred said:

Hi @bluemarble.  Hope you are having a great Caribbean voyage.

When you have a chance, we need referee decisions on whether three recent @sognecontributions are new seen ports for the list.  If so, these would be ports 598, 599, and the significant milestone of 600.

598  Bosporus, Turkey  (post 4293)

599  Ailsa Craig, Scotland, UK  (post 4308)

600  Belle Isle Strait, Newfoundland Canada  (post 4326)

That works for me. I was trying to keep track myself without the benefit of my spreadsheets at home and was thinking we had reached 700 with @sogne's latest contribution. Well done everyone for all the contributions that allowed us to reach that milestone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

That works for me. I was trying to keep track myself without the benefit of my spreadsheets at home and was thinking we had reached 700 with @sogne's latest contribution. Well done everyone for all the contributions that allowed us to reach that milestone.

Sorry for the typo/faulty memory of mine in my last reply. Of course we are now indeed at 600 Cunard ports/cruise-by locations seen on this thread. Congratulations to everyone who has helped us reach that milestone. Not likely we will reach 700, but never say never I suppose. I never imagined until recently we would reach 600.

To add to the list, I do have a webcam image saved on my desktop back home showing a Cunard ship at a cruise-by location we haven't seen yet and which is not on our unseen ports list. I'll have to leave that as a tease for now until we get back from the current QM2 Caribbean cruise.

• Like 1

My thanks to all game participants also.  And best wishes for Thanksgiving to those from the US.

With the milestone of 600 ports and cruise-bys, I thought I would post an update to the graphic outputs from the seen-ports text analytics model.

Europe still dominates the world region by a significant margin:  North America is a distant second.  There are 132 unique countries.

image.png.1021800c3a0495e747f943a3a57b0710.png

The top 10 countries have changed somewhat.  The US and UK are now tied for first place at 55 ports each.  There are still a few US ports remaining on the unseen list, including several Alaska cruise-bys, Wilmington NC, and Galveston TX.  Norway has a very respectable 37 ports already seen, with ample potential for more.  Canada has inched ahead of Brazil for 9th place.

image.png.1a6b38d8355eda820bcf06b7500c1bdc.png

While most ports are in the northern hemisphere, our southern lands are at a fairly respectable 102 ports.

image.png.73aa5e5ce4113f678b116d20f2d539fe.png

The letters P and S are the most frequent first initials of all seen ports.  P is popular partially due to all the Port/Puerto locations.  S due to San/Santa/Saint combinations.  All letters of the alphabet are represented.

image.png.bb7421e2e5dbf558f7883a6526056ace.png

182 ports and cruise-bys are located in places that were formerly part of the British Empire.

image.png.5d2b79e8efddc0a197a41761a3124caf.png

English is the most frequent primary language, and there are 54 unique primary languages.

image.png.c2118e08e41124d1c1c1fe9b30becb05.png

And finally, Alaska is the most frequent state within the US, with Florida a distant second.

image.png.2e8b08e4cacefe3b3d791ba02780fc56.png

As always, if you have questions or suggestions for additional analytics, please let me know and if I can I'm happy to give it a go.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 7:59 PM, babs135 said:

Trying really hard to find a photo that will stump people for at least a few hours!  Having a go with this photo. Like most people, my photos are of the recognisable tourist spots.

Well, unfortunately I'm stumped.  I tried various searches for port lumber yards, timber yards, etc., but no matches.  It appears that the road traffic is driving on the right, but that doesn't narrow it down too far.

2 hours ago, sfred said:

Well, unfortunately I'm stumped.  I tried various searches for port lumber yards, timber yards, etc., but no matches.  It appears that the road traffic is driving on the right, but that doesn't narrow it down too far.

Yay, I'm making you work !!  A clue is that it's not a recent photo so what you can see will not necessarily be what you would see now.   However what I will say is it is a popular seasonal port.

On 11/26/2022 at 9:59 AM, babs135 said:

Trying really hard to find a photo that will stump people for at least a few hours!  Having a go with this photo. Like most people, my photos are of the recognisable tourist spots.

somewhere3.JPG

I think you have us stumped with this one.

You are right.  Took the ferry to Vancouver Island but decided to fly back.  Never been in a seaplane before, no door into the flight deck and as we are sitting right at the front we could see exactly what the pilot could see.  Fantastic experience.

11 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a port we've already seen. This time name the port and both of the Cunard ships in the photo.

1819041542_WhereintheWorld(122).thumb.jpg.4c85e1ba058c21cb2a1c94aea0cdb883.jpg

The Port of Bridgetown, Barbados. 

SeaDream l formerly Sea Goddess l and Queen Mary 2.

• Like 1