Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

5 hours ago, sogne said:

Spot on again

Given that @sogne contributed two photos, one of Lismore lighthouse on Eilean Musdile and the other of Firth of Lorn, should we add two cruise-by locations to the seen list?  Or is Firth of Lorn the only official Cunard cruise-by and the lighhouse does not count as such?

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Given that @sogne contributed two photos, one of Lismore lighthouse on Eilean Musdile and the other of Firth of Lorn, should we add two cruise-by locations to the seen list?  Or is Firth of Lorn the only official Cunard cruise-by and the lighhouse does not count as such?

I'm was planning on only adding Firth of Lorn, Scotland to our seen ports list. I figure both photos are showing different views of that firth.

That does have me considering retroactively adding another "firth" photo to our seen ports list. I'm thinking in particular about @exlondoner's photo showing Cunard's Queen Elizabeth and HMS Queen Elizabeth in Moray Firth. At the time we counted that as being the port of Invergordon. But since that photo is actually showing us Moray Firth, I'm inclined to also add Moray Firth, Scotland as another cruise-by firth to our list of seen ports.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Not a new port but a strange view.

That's Liverpool, based on the lamppost, and the signpost showing arrows for William Jessop Way, Princes Square, and Princes Parade.  But I can't quite find the precise location of the photo.

Ah, I found the signpost.  Looks like it is on Princes Parade between the Landing Stage Terminal and Liverpool Waters?  Google street view shows the hedge, the signpost, the Road Closed Ahead / Diversion sign, and the lamp post.  I'll guess your photo was taken prior to 2018?  The lamp posts look to have changed shape from a double lamp like in your photo to a single lamp on street view images.

Edited by sfred

5 hours ago, sogne said:

we must have had this stretch of water but in case we have not  here it is now

not the usual view extra point 4 name of lighthouse

fgh.JPG

I better jump on this one because we know how good @sfred is at identifying lighthouses! 😉

Since we've started counting other stretches of water as cruise-by calls we would certainly be remiss in omitting this one since it's one of the most famous in the world. We've seen ports on either side but haven't counted this "strait" itself.

I think we are seeing the Strait of Gibraltar, Spain. I'm counting this as Spain since we are looking at the Spanish coast in this view.

My research tells me the lighthouse is the Punta de Tarifa Lighthouse. The lighthouse's location is also variously named Punta Marroquí and Isla de Las Palomas.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sfred said:

That's Liverpool, based on the lamppost, and the signpost showing arrows for William Jessop Way, Princes Square, and Princes Parade.  But I can't quite find the precise location of the photo.

You are of course, correct. That was from when the three Queens were in Liverpool.

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I better jump on this one because we know how good @sfred is at identifying lighthouses! 😉

Since we've started counting other stretches of water as cruise-by calls we would certainly be remiss in omitting this one since it's one of the most famous in the world. We've seen ports on either side but haven't counted this "strait" itself.

I think we are seeing the Strait of Gibraltar, Spain. I'm counting this as Spain since we are looking at the Spanish coast in this view.

My research tells me the lighthouse is the Punta de Tarifa Lighthouse. The lighthouse's location is also variously named Punta Marroquí and Isla de Las Palomas.

Tarifa VTS control shipping movement through the strait. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, carlmm said:

I'd say Puerto Vallarta.

That's correct. The photo is from our Viking Orion Mexican Riviera cruise last December. I suppose that other ship's current itineraries offered a pretty good clue if the photo's other features didn't on their own. Well done.

Here is a new cruise-by, courtesy of another Cruise Critic participant, @photosg.  They have very kindly given me permission to contribute the photo here in our Where in the World game.  (Thanks!!)   Apparently it had become dark by the time the Cunard ship arrived at the exact cruise-by location in the itinerary, so this was as close as they got while it was still daylight. 

B7C029D3-BBE8-4C70-AE26-82FE75415263.thumb.jpeg.4d4657725eb72596828101118b311de2.jpeg

10 hours ago, sfred said:

Here is a new cruise-by, courtesy of another Cruise Critic participant, @photosg.  They have very kindly given me permission to contribute the photo here in our Where in the World game.  (Thanks!!)   Apparently it had become dark by the time the Cunard ship arrived at the exact cruise-by location in the itinerary, so this was as close as they got while it was still daylight. 

B7C029D3-BBE8-4C70-AE26-82FE75415263.thumb.jpeg.4d4657725eb72596828101118b311de2.jpeg

I'm assuming that this is Romsdalsfjord

• Like 1

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

I'm assuming that this is Romsdalsfjord

Correct!  It was an unseen cruise-by on our list, and an itinerary location for QV's recent Norway fjords voyage. @photosg was aboard, and has contributed many great photos of their experiences in a separate thread here on Cruise Critic.  Romsdalsfjord is port/cruise-by number 597 (we're getting close to 600!), and number 37 for Norway.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here's one more in my series of webcam images for the previous location that hasn't been identified yet. Not sure how much this will help beyond what the other two images have shown, but let's give it a go.

1397328839_WhereintheWorld(119b).thumb.jpg.4d64e23896bcf9721568e744095461fb.jpg

Ijmuiden enroute 2 Amsterdam north sea ferry in dock at right been there professionally more than once

• Like 1