Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

On 12/21/2022 at 12:26 PM, bluemarble said:

Following @sogne's lead, here's a Christmas tree photo I can contribute from a port we've already seen.

1238917754_WhereintheWorld(126).thumb.jpg.8901e9455b4d1c63455d5af80edc6137.jpg

Feliz Navidad! Here's another photo with a Christmas theme taken in a prominent church at the same location as that Christmas tree.

2111197732_WhereintheWorld(126a).thumb.jpg.ba981e3d82e720a809f52147886bb414.jpg

Edited by bluemarble

Just now, DaisyDancer said:

This place has probably been posted before and it's an easy one to guess but I'm posting it anyway because I like the photo!20221212_150058.thumb.jpg.20c274d5ed57ba4056ec1231427159ac.jpg

Looks suspiciously like the aft view from the ship about a week ago, on the Christmas Market trip…

Edited: Sorry, I missed the post that says it was indeed from that trip. Definitely the coldest I have ever been in the Netherlands. 

Edited by ExArkie

On 12/22/2022 at 4:26 AM, bluemarble said:

Following @sogne's lead, here's a Christmas tree photo I can contribute from a port we've already seen.

I think I'm in a slump lately on port identifications.  I assumed, probably incorrectly, that the tree was located in one of @bluemarble's recent QM2 Caribbean ports: 

Charlotte Amalie St Thomas

Basseterre St Kitts

Castries St Lucia

Bridgetown Barbados

Roseau Dominica

Philipsburg St Maarten

But I can't find a match to any of these.  I also tried a more basic "Caribbean Christmas tree" search, but that is too general to come up with any matches. 

21 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Feliz Navidad! Here's another photo with a Christmas theme taken in a prominent church at the same location as that Christmas tree.

2111197732_WhereintheWorld(126a).thumb.jpg.ba981e3d82e720a809f52147886bb414.jpg

It would have been interesting if we had been able to visit this church a few weeks earlier for the festivities leading up to December 12th.

34 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

It would have been interesting if we had been able to visit this church a few weeks earlier for the festivities leading up to December 12th.

Ok. I'm going to take a stab at Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and the church is Our Lady of Guadalupe? December 12th is when they celebrate the Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe.

Edited by North West Newbie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, North West Newbie said:

Ok. I'm going to take a stab at Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and the church is Our Lady of Guadalupe Church? December 12th is when they celebrate the Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe.

Yes, that's it. The Christmas tree was along the Malecón in Puerto Vallarta and the church interior is indeed from Our Lady of Guadalupe Church there.

Sorry, @sfred, those photos weren't from our recent QM2 cruise to the Caribbean where you had been concentrating your investigation. Rather they were taken during our cruise to the Mexican Riviera on Viking Orion over last Christmas and New Year.

22 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Sorry, @sfred, those photos weren't from our recent QM2 cruise to the Caribbean where you had been concentrating your investigation. Rather they were taken during our cruise to the Mexican Riviera on Viking Orion over last Christmas and New Year.

No worries!  My research on the islands from your 2022 trip turned up a lot of great Christmas pictures.  Mrs. sfred and I will have to get to that part of the world, at this time of year, one of these days.  We had been scheduled to do Caribbean Christmas 2020 on QM2, but covid cancelled that plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @sogne.  There aren't too many clues available for a definite ID, but I'll take a guess and say Basseterre St. Kitts.  St. Kitts has a finger pier with cruise ships docked either side, and a rocky breakwater just to the west of the pier, which might be a match.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

The other ship in @sogne's photo is Norwegian Epic. By cross-referencing itineraries for QM2 and Norwegian Epic, there are two possibilities for a recent QM2 cruise @sogne was on where Norwegian Epic was also in port: Grenada and St Kitts. By concentrating on those ports I had started coming to the conclusion the photo is indeed Basseterre, St Kitts. You beat me to this one, @sfred. Well done.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The other ship in @sogne's photo is Norwegian Epic. By cross-referencing itineraries for QM2 and Norwegian Epic, there are two possibilities for a recent QM2 cruise @sogne was on where Norwegian Epic was also in port: Grenada and St Kitts. By concentrating on those ports I had started coming to the conclusion the photo is indeed Basseterre, St Kitts. You beat me to this one, @sfred. Well done.

correct St Kitts 

this photo was taken at max range so it not exactly brilliant but here goes

mnb.JPG

2 hours ago, sogne said:

correct St Kitts 

this photo was taken at max range so it not exactly brilliant but here goes

mnb.JPG

You managed to confused me with the angle of this photo for a while. I recognized that green and white building at the left as being along the waterfront near the cruise ship berth in Roseau, Dominica. My research tells me that's the Garraway Hotel in Roseau. But then I was expecting the cruise ship berth to be well off the left side of this photo so I was doubting my identification.

Was QM2 at Woodbridge Bay further to the north? It looks like that's an alternative cruise ship berth for Roseau if there was another ship in port with you that day. I think that would explain the angle as well as the need for a long telephoto shot.

Edited by bluemarble

21 hours ago, bluemarble said:

You managed to confused me with the angle of this photo for a while. I recognized that green and white building at the left as being along the waterfront near the cruise ship berth in Roseau, Dominica. My research tells me that's the Garraway Hotel in Roseau. But then I was expecting the cruise ship berth to be well off the left side of this photo so I was doubting my identification.

Was QM2 at Woodbridge Bay further to the north? It looks like that's an alternative cruise ship berth for Roseau if there was another ship in port with you that day. I think that would explain the angle as well as the need for a long telephoto shot.

Grandeur of the Seas was in as well as shown here.

Dominica south (12).JPG

Dominica south (46).JPG

• Thanks 1

Looks like La Spezia, Italy.  The webcam resolution doesn't enable me to tell whether QV or QE.  QV tends to spend a bit more time in the Med these days, so I'll play the odds and guess QV?

Google maps shows several restaurants, lookouts, and hotels on the SP370 road in the hills to the southwest of the city.  I'll guess the webcam is at one of those locations?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sfred said:

Looks like La Spezia, Italy.  The webcam resolution doesn't enable me to tell whether QV or QE.  QV tends to spend a bit more time in the Med these days, so I'll play the odds and guess QV?

Google maps shows several restaurants, lookouts, and hotels on the SP370 road in the hills to the southwest of the city.  I'll guess the webcam is at one of those locations?

La Spezia is correct. The Cunard ship happens to be QE though. That image was captured 22 April 2022. QE was originally scheduled to call at Genoa that day but the itinerary was changed to La Spezia a few months before departure.

I forgot to record the name of the Costa ship in that view. There are several possibilities for Costa ships with that profile and I haven't been able to find Costa itineraries for April 2022.

I don't know the precise location of the webcam although it does indeed have to be somewhere in the hills to the southwest of the city. It's simply called "La Spezia: Panorama" where I believe I found it originally on windy.com. Upon further investigation It looks like the source camera is hosted by a site called lalizzameteo.it, so it may be located at a weather station.

23 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Let's try this one. Here is another image from my webcam collection showing just a bit of a Cunard ship. This is a port we've seen before.

507103881_WhereintheWorld(128).thumb.jpg.22f1c1649488fffa6bf5b1e0b43d7183.jpg

Here's another view from a different webcam that day at the same port as my previous post. No Cunard ship in this view but plenty of port facilities and other structures to work with here.

208233063_WhereintheWorld(128a).thumb.jpg.790dfdf2fe1c7c60b33c47953a6c7d2b.jpg

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Here's another view from a different webcam that day at the same port as my previous post. No Cunard ship in this view but plenty of port facilities and other structures to work with here.

208233063_WhereintheWorld(128a).thumb.jpg.790dfdf2fe1c7c60b33c47953a6c7d2b.jpg

Port of Le Harve, France.

• Like 1