Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

There's a Cunard Queen there somewhere

20151108_122046.jpg

To get back to the ship spotting portion of the game (and go for those extra points 🙂), the Cunard ship looks like Queen Victoria (pre-2017 refit) based on what's visible of the aft profile.

The ship in front of QV appears to be one of Pullmantur's Sovereign-class ships, either the Sovereign or Monarch. Sadly, both of those ships have been scrapped recently.

The ship to the right of the photo is one of Trasmediterránea's ferries, either the current Ciudad Autónoma Melilla or Ciudad De Granada. Prior to 2019, those ferries went by the names Fortuny and Sorolla, respectively.

Sorry, there's not quite enough to go on for me to be able to identify the other two ships in the distance beyond QV.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I finally found it. This is the Filipstadkaia area of Oslo, Norway.

This may be an interesting tidbit, especially for those of you in the UK. I just checked my work using google street view and discovered that Filipstadkaia berth in Oslo occupied by the Royal Navy's light aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious (R06). Wikipedia says that ship was decommissioned in 2014. Google street view says that particular image of theirs was captured in June 2009.

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I finally found it. This is the Filipstadkaia area of Oslo, Norway.

Oslo taken from top of Homekollen Ski Lift

this is a departure from a very popular port many will have been to but a most unusual departure route past the city airport runways. Tide and weather conditions have to be just right. Usually the route is much longer  to the next port.As it was  part of a special occasion many of you may have been onboard. The next port was cancelled for unexplained reasons but the cruise ended in  a memorable  fashion with our last port call.

jst.JPG

43 minutes ago, sogne said:

Oslo taken from top of Homekollen Ski Lift

this is a departure from a very popular port many will have been to but a most unusual departure route past the city airport runways. Tide and weather conditions have to be just right. Usually the route is much longer  to the next port.As it was  part of a special occasion many of you may have been onboard. The next port was cancelled for unexplained reasons but the cruise ended in  a memorable  fashion with our last port call.

jst.JPG

Looks like Copenhagen?

9 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Another opportunity for extra points

FB_IMG_1598563175139.jpg

Would I be on the right track if I said this photo was taken on Christmas Eve? 😉

I think the rightmost ship blocking our view of QM2 is MSC Poesia. I haven't been able to work out the others just yet. The funnels of the two ships furthest left are distinctive enough, but I don't happen to recognize them off hand.

23 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The funnels of the two ships furthest left are distinctive enough, but I don't happen to recognize them off hand.

I thought the red one might be a Disney ship.

I was wondering if the port might be in Florida or the Caribbean?

1 minute ago, Ray66 said:

I thought the red one might be a Disney ship.

I was wondering if the port might be in Florida or the Caribbean?

My first thought was that red funnel on the far right was from a Disney ship as well. But I think all the Disney ships have two funnels. Now maybe the front funnel is completely hidden by the other ships, but that didn't look too likely to me. So that's why I discounted it being a Disney ship, but that might be a mistake.

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

A help with some of the other ships ...

Oh, good. We now know the leftmost ship in your original photo with the red funnel is the Pullmantur Pacific Dream, which is now the Horizon with an entirely new paint scheme. She originally operated for Celebrity which explains the "X" on her funnel in that photo from 2009.

And obviously the ship directly behind QM2 is the Regent Seven Seas Voyager. I really should have recognized that funnel shape as being Regent.

I don't think I have quite enough yet to work out that other ship in front of Pacific Dream and next to QM2, although there is a fair amount of detail to work with for a really good ship spotter.

FB_IMG_1598563175139.jpg.12da99046dea35a

This rank amateur ship spotter just might be getting a little bit better at it. It actually didn't take too long to determine from @Host Hattie's additional photos that the middle ship in this St Maarten photo is a Royal Caribbean Freedom-class ship (Freedom, Liberty or Independence). It appears all three were doing Caribbean itineraries during the 2009 season. The clincher to identifying the specific ship was discovering the Cruise Critic roll call for Freedom's 2009 Christmas cruise mentioned they would be in St Maarten on Christmas Eve.

Here's my final list of the five ships in this photo (from left to right):

Pullmantur Pacific Dream

Regent Seven Seas Voyager

Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas

Cunard Queen Mary 2

MSC Poesia

• Like 1