Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

23 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

@sogne I just realized you've been giving clues to the locations of your photos in the attachment file names. I won't give away the location of this last one to let it run its course if someone wants to guess without resulting to checking the file name. I spotted that when I opened your latest attachment in my browser and looked at the URL. But the attachment file names are visible within the posts in the Cruise Critic "Forums" and "Tapatalk" smartphone apps. Best to rename your files before attaching them in the future.

I changed file name but have posted original said it was easy  how about this another maiden call and  not repeated I think

xyz.jpg

30 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Are people attaching their photos in different ways I wonder? So which is the easiest and quickest?

The way I have been attaching files for this thread to avoid this issue is via Copy/Paste from my photo editing program directly into the reply within my browser on my PC. That way the attachment file name is auto-generated. The attachments I do that way all end up as "image.png" for the file name.

If you use the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." function in a post, the name of the file you attach that way will be preserved in the attachment file name.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think that bridge is the Köhlbrandbrücke. I had to look it up, but that's the name I came up with. Apparently the Köhlbrand is a branch of the Elbe in Hamburg. I think we could use @Germancruiser to check my work, though.

Correct,  it is said bridge. It connects the A7 ( Autobahn) with a little Island in the river Elbe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Ray66, your latest photos are from Copenhagen, Denmark. I didn't recognize the location at first because the one time we have cruised into Copenhagen we docked further out at one of the newer Ocean Quay Terminals. But your photos were taken at what I believe is called the Langelinie pier closer to the city center. I was able to come up with a very close match to your first photo (showing a different cruise ship, the Emerald Princess) using google street view.

• Like 1

Here's my contribution for today. It may look like there's not a lot to go on in this photo, but it was taken from a popular scenic overlook. It is possible to find other photos online taken from this spot showing these points of land in the context of a wider view of this port.

image.thumb.png.c2171fa7b44ae0fb0fb8ef755399c129.png

16 hours ago, sogne said:

I changed file name but have posted original said it was easy  how about this another maiden call and  not repeated I think

xyz.jpg

I think I've got it. That's Newport, Rhode Island, US. That's the Claiborne Pell Newport Bridge in the distance with Rose Island and its lighthouse closer in.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:
17 hours ago, sogne said:

xyz.jpg

I think I've got it. That's Newport, Rhode Island, US. That's the Claiborne Pell Newport Bridge in the distance with Rose Island and its lighthouse closer in.

I'd been checking suspension bridge photos but missed this one, great shot & spot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

correct 2011 QE 

this is a a rare port call

ABC.jpg

Edited by sogne

7 hours ago, DaisyDancer said:

I'm running out of port photos! I think this one will be too easy. 

Is it Cartagena (Spain)? But I don't recognise the big building in the background. If not, Bluemarble says he knows.

23 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Is it Cartagena (Spain)? But I don't recognise the big building in the background. If not, Bluemarble says he knows.

You're going to kick yourself on this one @Ray66. I'm pretty sure it's Cherbourg.

To help with the angle and the comparison, I think the "big building" I've circled below in red in my previous shot and in @DaisyDancer's shot are the same building.

image.thumb.png.1e548936a55b4c8aebdc80aa12f3e7ce.png

image.thumb.png.78aa875300ec535372e2fb27b408e344.png

Edited by bluemarble

31 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Heading for the same port - 12 years later. Round Britain cruises but we weren't on either.

Oh yeah (hopefully not giving too much away) we discussed this here a while back, didn't we? Looking back, I see Host Hattie was in on that discussion, too.

5 hours ago, sogne said:

correct 2011 QE 

this is a a rare port call

ABC.jpg

I think that's Honningsvåg, Norway.

Of course one of the ships is Queen Victoria. The other is Fred. Olsen's Black Prince.

Since Black Prince was retired by Fred. Olsen in October 2009, that means this photo would have been taken on 15 June 2008, 12 July 2008 or 28 June 2009. Those are the three dates Queen Victoria was in Honningsvåg prior to October 2009.

How did I do?

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

You're going to kick yourself on this one @Ray66. I'm pretty sure it's Cherbourg.

To help with the angle and the comparison, I think the "big building" I've circled below in red in my previous shot and in @DaisyDancer's shot are the same building.

I would never have got that. I only really remember the old ticket hall and the submarine.

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I think that's the Tyne

Yes, both on their way to North Shields for Newcastle. 2007 and 2019.

• Like 1