Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

16 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

This is another view of the area not far from my two ship photo above.

FB_IMG_1598636952226.jpg

That's for the hint. That helps a lot. For those still working on it, I used exlondoner's technique from the La Coruña photo and noted there is a Spanish flag or two on ship masts in Host Hattie's original photo. For a while I was thinking that was a red herring because I couldn't find any Spanish port that fit. But now I have found what looks like a match using this second photo. I'll give it another hour until I reveal my guess.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 1:17 PM, carlmm said:

It's Kiel. Germany 😉

Absolutely right.

If nobody had gotten it I was thinking of a possible clue.  Kiel is the home of one of QE2's original propellers, I believe removed during the refit from steam to diesel.

qe2prop.jpg

It actually is quite an attractive city, but the cruise terminal is about a mile north of the center of the city and my view of QE was near my hotel, looking along pretty much a commercial waterfront.

Roy

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

How about this one ?

FB_IMG_1598563005938.jpg

OK, I think this one is Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands. Not the Spanish mainland, but a Spanish port nonetheless.

How old is this photo? I wasn't able to match this either yesterday or even now looking at online photos of the Arrecife port. I wonder if the cruise port has been upgraded since this photo. Or else I just haven't found the right angle which is entirely possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

This one took longer than I expected it would since there is so much detail in the photo to work with. I was way off in the wrong part of the world for most of my searches. Finally found it in the far east. Those surrounding hills played a roll in the level of destruction the area suffered 75 years ago this month.

This one is Nagasaki, Japan.

Correct, bluemarble!  The photo was taken from Mt. Inasayama observatory on the western side of the harbour looking down on the city, on a QM2 voyage in March 2017.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

You're both correct, Arrecife in December 2014 & Queen Elizabeth sailing from Lisbon taken from Queen Victoria.

I was stymied by the angle of QE in the river.  Was she sailing from the terminal close to the bridge?

Roy

3 hours ago, Ray66 said:

One from me. Easy this one.

P1040272.JPG

Looks like Bergen Norway from the Granbakken?  I haven't been there in several decades, and unfortunately not by ship.  I was doing a project in Oslo and went to Bergen on a weekend.  I think I recognise Johanneskirken on the sight line to QV's bow?

sf

Edited by sfred

10 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Two Cunard ships. QM2 (obviously) and Cunard Crown Dynasty ( now Fred Olsen’s Braemar)

Thanks, I hadn't realised that when I took the photograph. I've only been on Braemar since she was owned by Fred Olsen.

6 hours ago, sfred said:

Looks like Bergen Norway from the Granbakken?  I haven't been there in several decades, and unfortunately not by ship.  I was doing a project in Oslo and went to Bergen on a weekend.  I think I recognise Johanneskirken on the sight line to QV's bow?

sf

Never heard of the Granbakken. But it was taken when we went on the Floibanen funicular railway in Bergen.

On 8/26/2020 at 9:24 PM, DaisyDancer said:

The first one is probably far too easy. Hopefully the second photo will be more challenging - there is a ship there in the distance!

20190106_075559.jpg

DSCN1609.thumb.jpeg.588e366ccb93523a5f906299f338f8c1.jpeg

Looking back towards your hotel.  3rd November last year.

• Like 1