Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

7 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Perhaps @D&N can identify this one for us now since it's gone unidentified for a couple days. I think it's in his part of the world.

Thanks to that mega hint, I’ve just identified it. Can I say?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Thanks to that mega hint, I’ve just identified it. Can I say?

Go on. I've never been there. Passed about 19 km from it on the motorway in 1996.

I'll post a screen print. Now since you have got it. But Google lens found it. It has similar look to oodles of towns along our coast.

2024-07-22.thumb.png.d4635de5a6612a494f6cfb4cca4e35b7.png

Edited by D&N

2 minutes ago, D&N said:

Go on. I've never been there. Passed about 19 km from it on the motorway in 1996.

I'll post a screen print. Now since you have got it. But Google lens found it. It has similar look to oodles of towns along our coast.

2024-07-22.thumb.png.d4635de5a6612a494f6cfb4cca4e35b7.png

Well, that isn’t a bad thing. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 2:27 PM, sogne said:

an official scenic cruise destination inthe future but we had an early preview

ccc.JPG

I'm not convinced I've figured this one out. The photo evidence I've found is less than compelling. There's one image in a photo archive showing a pretty good match to the profile of that hill just to the left of center, but the rest of the hills in the background aren't quite right.

Oh well, what the heck, I'll give this a try anyway. There's a cruise-by location on our unseen ports list which is a future maiden call for QM2 during 2025. So that fits in with the provided clue.

Is this Hardangerfjord, Norway?

2 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'm not convinced I've figured this one out. The photo evidence I've found is less than compelling. There's one image in a photo archive showing a pretty good match to the profile of that hill just to the left of center, but the rest of the hills in the background aren't quite right.

Oh well, what the heck, I'll give this a try anyway. There's a cruise-by location on our unseen ports list which is a future maiden call for QM2 during 2025. So that fits in with the provided clue.

Is this Hardangerfjord, Norway?

Correct subbed for Haugesund 

• Like 1

Two great new ports!  According to my dataset -

Number 663 Collioure, France.

Number 664 Hardangerfjord, Norway

They are our 41st port/cruiseby in Norway (third in the top 10 behind only US and UK), and 26th in France (8th in the top 10).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

To celebrate this thread's fourth birthday, I'm posting this reply exactly four years to the minute from when @Host Hattie created the thread. I believe her intention was to provide an entertaining diversion during the shutdown in operations. Little did any of us know at the time that this thread would last so long and have so many contributions. It's clearly been a very interesting and entertaining thread for me over these past four years!

I submit for your consideration these two webcam captures, both from the same webcam.

This first image shows a Cunard ship arriving at a port we've seen before. The port itself is only a couple miles away off to the right.

WhereintheWorld(182a).thumb.jpg.31f94d0d46d240bfdb2652f5254c80df.jpg

This second image shows the same Cunard ship departing from the same port. This image shows a location a couple miles further away from the port as the camera panned to the left from the location shown in the first image.

WhereintheWorld(182b).thumb.jpg.eca98440e05605f4b75231bd99fa994e.jpg

I'm expecting this to be a challenge but I won't be surprised at all if you prove me wrong with a quick identification. Which port is this ship arriving and departing in these webcam images?

• Like 4

Will ponder for a bit, but happy fourth birthday to the Thread, which has been both fascinating and informative. And isn’t it pleasing how quickly things went back to normal? There were those who said cruising as we knew it would never again be possible.

• Like 1

My thanks as well, @bluemarble.  This thread has been a great (and addictive!) pastime.  Much appreciated to all who have been contributors and participants.

I'm going to submit a guess that the ship is QE, and the port is Victoria BC Canada.  There's some matches in the photos to the Ross Bay Pebbles Beach, Clover Point Park, and the Trial Islands Lighthouse.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, sfred said:

My thanks as well, @bluemarble.  This thread has been a great (and addictive!) pastime.  Much appreciated to all who have been contributors and participants.

I'm going to submit a guess that the ship is QE, and the port is Victoria BC Canada.  There's some matches in the photos to the Ross Bay Pebbles Beach, Clover Point Park, and the Trial Islands Lighthouse.

That's correct. Those images were captured from the Ross Bay Live Webcam offering views of Clover Point to the west (in the first image) and the Trials Islands Lighthouse to the east (in the second image). I had been searching quite a while for a webcam showing QE at Victoria and finally found this one. It doesn't quite show the port of Victoria but it's close by and is an excellent webcam to watch ships arriving and departing Victoria.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

This first image shows a Cunard ship arriving at a port we've seen before. The port itself is only a couple miles away off to the right.

WhereintheWorld(182a).thumb.jpg.31f94d0d46d240bfdb2652f5254c80df.jpg

We sat in that bay for about 4 hours, one day, as the marine conditions weren’t conducive to entering the outer harbour.  The Captain did make a couple of valiant attempts to get through the mouth but had to abandon them.  I was disappointed because I love Victoria but I love not crashing into sea walls more. lol 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Thank you @bluemarble, @Host Hattie and all the fellow riddle creators and hopeful solvers.

This thread was a pleasure.

Thank you @carlmm for your excellent contributions over the years. As I think back, one of the most perplexing yet rewarding challenges was your picture of San Andrés Island. That took a lot of work involving finding old itineraries for Caronia to cross reference with the various hints you provided along the way.

I've been collecting a variety webcam images of Cunard ships this year. They are all of ports we've already seen on this thread and unfortunately most of them are instantly recognizable using Google Lens. I have one or two that might pose a bit of a challenge or are significant enough to post anyway. Watch this space for a few future contributions from me in the weeks to come.

And as always, I encourage others to post your own photos of Cunard ports even if those photos don't happen to show a Cunard ship. It's always good to be challenged with new perspectives of ports even if we've seen other views of those ports before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

And as always, I encourage others to post your own photos of Cunard ports even if those photos don't happen to show a Cunard ship. It's always good to be challenged with new perspectives of ports even if we've seen other views of those ports before.

Thank you!  You have encouraged me to post this one.  It was taken as we made our way into port.

IMG_3523.thumb.jpeg.6c074deee8b4de2d03255caad888ad34.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Thank you!  You have encouraged me to post this one.  It was taken as we made our way into port.

Thanks @Miss G.  I hope that's an automated lighthouse in your photo.  If not, I'd hate to be the light keeper.  Not much rock there for a decent walk.

I think I lost about half my eyesight to this thread searching for cargo cranes.  The other half will probably go to lighthouses.  😎  I don't have any matches so far, but will keep looking.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks @Miss G.  I hope that's an automated lighthouse in your photo.  If not, I'd hate to be the light keeper.  Not much rock there for a decent walk.

I think I lost about half my eyesight to this thread searching for cargo cranes.  The other half will probably go to lighthouses.  😎  I don't have any matches so far, but will keep looking.

If it helps at all, that is a fog bank in the background. Here we are, just two minutes later, heading straight into it.  I would hate to be those fishermen!

IMG_0179.thumb.jpeg.6ca790e876cab431e650d60784847eb3.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*
Too much of a clue!

15 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

IMG_3523.thumb.jpeg.6c074deee8b4de2d03255caad888ad34.jpeg

I'll take a wild guess at this one, because it looks very similar to a photo I took from Land's End in Cornwall (UK) in 2022. Mine was taken from land near the milepost marker, using a bit more zoom:

image.thumb.jpeg.6838ab4c2156615afcbe8a63cda81c3b.jpeg

The rock profiles don't quite match, but the lighthouses are reasonably close.

As to the port one would be approaching, if it is Land's End in Cornwall, my guess would be sailing into Falmouth.

Edited by ExArkie
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

I'll take a wild guess at this one, because it looks very similar to a photo I took from Land's End in Cornwall (UK) in 2022. Mine was taken from land near the milepost marker, using a bit more zoom:

image.thumb.jpeg.6838ab4c2156615afcbe8a63cda81c3b.jpeg

The rock profiles don't quite match, but the lighthouses are reasonably close.

As to the port one would be approaching, if it is Land's End in Cornwall, my guess would be sailing into Falmouth.

Close, but no cigar!