Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

22 hours ago, bluemarble said:

This one I recognized right away from having been at this port on another line. We were docked around the corner at pier 8 where the ship in the distance is docked in this photo. QE is at pier 7 with Karl's Pier 7 Restaurant and Gift Shop to the far right. I think you may have been standing near the slip for the ferry that crosses the river to Hohe Düne to take this photo.

This is Warnemünde, Germany.

correct

not yet identified I think

yui.JPG

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think this one is showing the port of Kralendijk, Bonaire in the Caribbean Netherlands.

That it is.

It apparently was taken on QV's westbound Fort Lauderdale-to-Los Angeles trip in 2011. I was on the return trip a couple of weeks later (but I didn't take any photos of the ship in Kralendijk).

On 10/4/2020 at 8:43 PM, bluemarble said:

Here are some interesting stats about this thread (interesting to me anyway). So far we have identified 150 different ports with at least a couple more new ones yet to be identified. I have to say I am both amazed and thrilled that this thread Host Hattie started has included so many different ports (and some ports from multiple different interesting perspectives). Unfortunately, I think I have now run out of new ports to contribute, although I can still add a few more duplicates from different perspectives.

The ports we have identified so far range from "Adelaide" to "Zeebrugge". All the letters of the alphabet are represented by the first letters of the port names except for "U" and "X". I did have to stretch a bit though to get "E" represented by using South Queensferry (for "Edinburgh") and/or Kusadasi/Izmir (for "Ephesus").

It's going to be tough to get "U" and "X" included although that is possible after looking at past itineraries. Anyone have photos of Cunard ships in Ushuaia, Argentina or in Xiamen or Xingang, China?

I spotted myself in the picture of Visby - luckily in the far background with my back to the camera. Who else has found themselves in one of this splendid collection of photos?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Is it Olden ?

It is indeed Olden. That's the "Olden Fjordhotel" I've circled.

@exlondoner, I think I see where you were headed with that "u" reference. My QM2 itineraries do list Hardangerfjord as a port of call back in 2005, but I have my doubts she would have made it all the way to Ulvik on that occasion.

• Like 1

OK, to make up for my last couple largely inscrutable webcam images (and to keep my contributions to this thread going as long as possible), here's one that might qualify as "easy peasy". It's a port we've covered here more than once, but it's a view of the departure from that port we haven't seen before. Where specifically is QE in this photo?

image.thumb.png.ddf6e519c13aa2c9d8b294a3030f07be.png

24 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

OK, to make up for my last couple largely inscrutable webcam images (and to keep my contributions to this thread going as long as possible), here's one that might qualify as "easy peasy". It's a port we've covered here more than once, but it's a view of the departure from that port we haven't seen before. Where specifically is QE in this photo?

image.thumb.png.ddf6e519c13aa2c9d8b294a3030f07be.png

Is that the Filey Oil Terminal looking at QE going around the Brambles Bank?

26 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

Is that the Filey Oil Terminal looking at QE going around the Brambles Bank?

I think you've got it, assuming you meant the Fawley oil terminal. I'm not sure we're actually seeing Bramble Bank, but rather QE passing Calshot Spit with water on either side of the spit from this angle as she was heading toward Cowes. But you may know better than I about that detail. The photo was taken from QM2 as we were passing Fawley while following QE out of Southampton.

8 minutes ago, sogne said:

I took this for the smaller craft which reminds of a previous life but I am surprised that this port has not yet featured

onm.JPG

I'm finding evidence indicating that smaller craft operates out of Katakolon, Greece. That is a new port for this thread to add to my list.

Hi @Underwater.  Pilot boat DOSE is registered in Germany, and on marinetraffic.com is currently located at the mouth of the Elbe River.  So I'll guess Hamburg?

I went astray, not trusting marinetraffic.com, on an earlier post by @bluemarble for the tug Kizkulesi in Izmir Turkey.  I won't make that mistake again!  🙂

I'm with you @sfred with a minor adjustment. The research I've been doing indicates pilot boat Döse operates out of Cuxhaven to embark/disembark pilots for the journey between the mouth of the Elbe and Brunsbüttel (at the entrance/exit of the Kiel Canal). So I'm thinking it may be more precise to say that photo of Underwatr's was taken out to sea near the mouth of the Elbe in the vicinity of Cuxhaven (in agreement with the position you saw on marinetraffic) rather than in the port of Hamburg per se.

Edited by bluemarble

2 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I'm thinking this just might be enough...

I'm quoting @Underwatr here just so he can look back and see we replied to his post above. I forgot to include an @ when I mentioned him in my reply.

And @sfred, I think you misspelled his name in your reply by including that second "e" where you would normally expect it to be.