Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

It seems my last few posts on this thread have been far too easy, so here's a webcam image from my archives that I think will be more of a challenge. This is a port we haven't seen yet on this thread.

image.png.c8be16612a875994a04cd36c51f87849.png

This would be the Brisbane grain terminal on Fisherman Island. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Another repeat I'm afraid

Screenshot_20200929-161537.png

Oh, yes. This view of Corfu, Greece is considerably easier to identify than the first go round.

The other cruise ship in the photo next to QV is the Marella Spirit (since scrapped).

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, it would. Once again my post has turned out to be easy. But then I suppose someone from Brisbane might be able to recognize it without difficulty. Well done.

Yes, I had an unfair "home port" advantage.  But there were some good clues in the photo that narrowed the possibilities.  The truck was going clockwise through the roundabout, on the left side of the road.  And QM2 was docked near conveyor belts used for offloading bulk cargo ships.  Just out of frame of the photo, to the left of QM2, are the concrete grain silos.

The grain terminal is hardly the most scenic of locations, and Brisbane lags far behind ports like Sydney, Auckland, Vancouver, etc. that have deep water passenger cruise terminals in the centre city.  Brisbane's new cruise terminal, located at Luggage Point near the airport, is just about finished.  I went out to have a look a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately it will open to no ships.  😞

These are the last of my photos for a port we haven't already seen in this thread. Once again there's one photo of the ship in port which doesn't show anything of the port. Then there's a second photo taken from the ship which doesn't appear to show much of anything about the port either. Although it may not look like it at first, there actually is enough information in that second photo to determine what port this is.

image.thumb.png.e79f322b4f3599fd15c6f85d9a1361c8.png

image.thumb.png.bc3d5e0a7dbcef6fefd9aba447474b21.png

Hi bluemarble.  Picture number 2 is of the tug Kizkulesi, which has its registration in Turkey.  Marinetraffic.com currently shows the tug location in the Turkish port of Izmir, but I doubt that QE has ever been there.  QE has been to Istanbul many times, though.  So I'll guess Istanbul?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sfred said:

Hi bluemarble.  Picture number 2 is of the tug Kizkulesi, which has its registration in Turkey.  Marinetraffic.com currently shows the tug location in the Turkish port of Izmir, but I doubt that QE has ever been there.  QE has been to Istanbul many times, though.  So I'll guess Istanbul?

You solved the puzzle as I intended by locating the tug Kizkulesi in Izmir. That's where QE was when those photos were taken on November 19, 2012. She was originally scheduled to be in Kusadasi that day, but about five months prior to departure we received this notification: "Due to operational reasons the call to Kusadasi on Monday 19 November has been replaced by a full day call to Izmir on the same day."

For the record, the itineraries I have also show QE was scheduled to call at Izmir on September 27, 2013. So QE has probably called at Izmir twice. I'll accept your original analysis of Izmir even though you talked yourself out of it by not realizing QE has ever called at Izmir.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So Host Hattie and I were both very close.  I hadn't realised that QE had been to Izmir.  But having now looked it up in Wikipedia, I learned that it is Turkey's third largest city after Istanbul and Ankara, with a population of nearly 3million.  From the photos on google, it looks like it would have been a very interesting port day.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sfred said:

So Host Hattie and I were both very close.  I hadn't realised that QE had been to Izmir.  But having now looked it up in Wikipedia, I learned that it is Turkey's third largest city after Istanbul and Ankara, with a population of nearly 3million.  From the photos on google, it looks like it would have been a very interesting port day.

As it happened, we didn't spend much time in Izmir since we had booked a shore excursion to Ephesus. As it turned out, the call at Izmir meant we just ended up with a bit longer bus ride to get to Ephesus. Here's a shot of mine of the famous Library of Celsus in Ephesus taken during that excursion.

image.thumb.png.cc2b536a32e022ec37f42fce47feecb0.png

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 11:29 AM, carlmm said:

One more for the classic question: Where in the world?

quest4ba.png

As this one is unsolved so far and talking about Turkey ….

… maybe time for another hint:

The cruise (one of those you were able to book as one week, two weeks, three weeks cruises… ) was original schedulded to go to Turkey more than once. Yet all Turkish ports were cancelled when it became to dangerous for many people to travel there.

Our final itinerary had little resemblance to the first published one, the port above was among the new ones. It might even have been a maiden call but I am not sure about that.