Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

49 minutes ago, sogne said:

this port claims to have a perhaps dubious connection with a famous medieval explorer

tdf.JPG

I'm going with Korčula, Croatia for this one. It ties in with the reference to Marco Polo's reputed/disputed birthplace. Also, the ferry Lovor shown in this shot serves Korčula and the scenery matches pretty well with views I've found from one of its ferry docks.

Edited by bluemarble

2 hours ago, sfred said:

I concur with Host Hattie.  Hamburg, at the HafenCity terminal.  Clue is the ferris wheel behind QM2.

Yes it is the Cruise Center HafenCity in Hamburg. We've previously seen Steinwerder and Altona on this thread. Now HafenCity completes the set.

On 9/23/2020 at 4:46 PM, ExArkie said:

I feel I am somewhat limited on contributing here. We have only done transatlantic on Cunard (how hard is it to identify New York and Southampton?) and not a lot of anything else, even on other lines. It did occur to me that there was one TA that stopped a few places. This photo - apologize for the mediocre quality, it was at (or  just past)  sunset and foggy - was an unscheduled departure port for this trip. 

image.png

On 9/24/2020 at 7:23 AM, ExArkie said:

We didn't actually stop in the Azores on that trip. This photo was from the departure day in Europe, but not from the port at which we were originally scheduled to depart.

I don't think we have identified this one from @ExArkie yet either. There ought to be enough here to figure this one out, but I'm stumped. Perhaps another hint is needed for this one as well?

On 9/23/2020 at 4:46 PM, ExArkie said:

I feel I am somewhat limited on contributing here. We have only done transatlantic on Cunard (how hard is it to identify New York and Southampton?) and not a lot of anything else, even on other lines. It did occur to me that there was one TA that stopped a few places. This photo - apologize for the mediocre quality, it was at (or  just past)  sunset and foggy - was an unscheduled departure port for this trip. 

image.png

I'm getting a match to Trieste, Italy for this one. I've also found that the originally planned QV voyage from Venice to Fort Lauderdale (and beyond) in November 2011 was changed to depart from Trieste instead. So, I'm going with Trieste, Italy for this one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluemarble said:

I'm getting a match to Trieste, Italy for this one. I've also found that the originally planned QV voyage from Venice to Fort Lauderdale (and beyond) in November 2011 was changed to depart from Trieste instead. So, I'm going with Trieste, Italy for this one.

I apologize - had a work project blow up that took all my time for a couple of days, so I never got back here. Honestly, don't you hate it when work interferes with reading Cruise Critic?

Trieste is correct. The November 2011 trip got rather screwed up from the beginning. I'd needed to be in Geneva a week or so before the start, so my wife and I decided to make the return trip on QV, which was our first time on her. On the train from Geneva to Venice on embarkation day, I got an e-mail that said the port of Venice was fogged in and all cruises were being rerouted from Trieste. At that point, we weren't able to change our train tickets to go there, so we boarded buses in Venice for a lengthy ride around the top of the Adriatic in a blanket of fog. I remember it being around 2.5 hours on the bus. No one's luggage was delivered in time to change for dinner, so the dress code was (almost) totally abandoned for the first night. There were several ships in the Trieste port that night, when it is really only designed to accommodate one at a time.

We went back to Trieste a few years later and stayed for several days. Great place to visit.

• Like 1