Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm going to say this one is Gaspé, Quebec. That's a tender port for QM2 in Canada and I've found a news report from her call at Gaspé in 2016 where the details in the background match up pretty well with what we see here. It's a close enough match that I'm reasonably confident this is Gaspé.

Gaspé it is. It was the first and only time the QM2 has called there. It was supposed to call there in October 2017 as well, but we received information just two weeks before boarding in Québec  that the call was switched to Sept. Iles. The Canadian government imposed speed restrictions  in the St. Lawrence River due to many right whales being killed in collisions with ships.

This would have been my second clue, had it been necessary. Cruise ships use the VIA Rail station as a terminal building.

P1030235.JPG

On 9/16/2020 at 5:16 PM, Lanky Lad said:

Here is my next offering.  The shelters on the dockside could be a clue to this port.

qv where.jpg

Well, I don't know why it took me so long to figure this one out. It's a port we've been to on another line (and I'm pretty sure our shore excursion group met under one of those shelters). This one is Nassau, Bahamas.

Edited by bluemarble

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Well, I don't know why it took me so long to figure this one out. It's a port we've been to on another line (and I'm pretty sure our shore excursion group met under one of those shelters). This one is Nassau, Bahamas.

Yes you are correct, it's Nassau.

18 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Rhodes?

That's correct, it is Rhodes. And somewhat coincidentally, my photo shows exactly the same two ships in port as this earlier photo of Rhodes that @Host Hattie posted near the beginning of this thread (Queen Elizabeth and Oceania Nautica). My photo was taken not quite a year earlier on November 20, 2012.

On 8/23/2020 at 10:33 AM, Host Hattie said:

How about this ? Bonus points for getting both ships

10202277476249173.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

... My photo was taken not quite a year earlier on November 20, 2012. ...

Just in case anyone is puzzled by that date I gave for my Rhodes photo (that was supposed to be a sea day for QE), Rhodes was another one of the replacement ports on our "Holy Land Explorer" cruise when the calls to Israel and Egypt were canceled.

• Like 1

Here's another one from my webcam archives. This isn't showing QM2 in port but underway heading out to sea at the estuary for a frequently visited the port. This webcam is no longer in operation but it used to operate at this popular location for viewing passing ships.

image.thumb.png.5fd5ee9bc3511a140a543173ee1f1110.png

As an extra bonus question, can you identify the date of this webcam image, given the position of the sun relative to where you would normally expect the sun to be when QM2 is at this point heading out to sea?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's another one from my webcam archives. This isn't showing QM2 in port but underway heading out to sea at the estuary for a frequently visited the port. This webcam is no longer in operation but it used to operate at this popular location for viewing passing ships.

image.thumb.png.5fd5ee9bc3511a140a543173ee1f1110.png

As an extra bonus question, can you identify the date of this webcam image, given the position of the sun relative to where you would normally expect the sun to be when QM2 is at this point heading out to sea?

Is it the Elbe hear Cuxhaven?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Is it the Elbe hear Cuxhaven?

Yes it is. That's the observation area in Cuxhaven, Germany at the mouth of the Elbe called "Alte Liebe" (Old Love). That image was captured from the webcam that used to be at "www.cuxhaven-webcam.de". Now I see there is another webcam at that location that can be found at "www.schiffsansagedienst-cuxhaven.de".

Now, would someone like to suggest what time of day that image was captured, based on which direction that webcam at "Alte Liebe" in Cuxhaven would have been facing to get that view of the Elbe? And then from there, suggest what is unusual about that timing for the scene in that image?