Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

13 hours ago, bluemarble said:

That was a good try @sfred. New York on 13 January 2011 was a big event for Cunard as all three of the current queens met there for a "Royal Rendezvous" on that date. QE and QV had made a tandem crossing for that event departing Southampton together on 5 January 2011. But my photo is from an even earlier meeting of QE and just one of the other queens. Sorry if my wording might not have been entirely clear when I said this was the first time QE met "either" (rather than "both") of the other Cunard Queens in the same port.

No idea where it is, but the mention of the tandem crossing brings back memories.  We were on QV when she did that tandem crossing with QE in January 2011, and met up with QM2 in New York.  There were some VERY rough days, and the only time I've ever been seasick on a Cunard ship!

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Since I think my last post showing QE is the only item remaining to be resolved at this point (other than identifying that dog breed), and since my post was more about knowing itineraries than identifying a port from the photo, perhaps I should offer further hints now that we've reached the 12 hour mark rather than waiting a full 24 hours. Here goes.

My photo of QE arriving at port in the early morning hours was taken during QE's second voyage. That was a 14-night cruise to the Mediterranean following her maiden voyage, a 13-night Canary Islands cruise.

Here's a photo taken later that same morning showing QE docked at the port. I don't think it will be too hard to determine which port this is.

Next, here is a photo showing a portion of the ship from which QE's photo was taken that morning. It may not be immediately obvious, but it is possible to determine which other ship this is from this photo.

Given these additional hints about my original photo of QE arriving in port, let's give it another go to identify

1) the port

2) the date the photo was taken

3) the other Cunard ship from which the photo was taken

Got it.  Southampton, 8 November 2010, photo taken from QM2.  Both ships arrived in SOU that morning, QM2 transatlantic from NY and QE from the Med.  QV was in the eastern med that day, so it could not have been her. 

• Like 1

I must admit, however, I can't determine how the photo of QM2's "Q" would be different from QV's "Q".  I looked, but can't find a photo of QV's name taken close enough to verify a difference.  Perhaps something to do with the fibre optic lighting system, or maybe the shape on the tail of the Q?  I can't tell for sure.

The 13 Jan 2011 Royal Rendevous of all three ships was quite an event in NY.  I wasn't fortunate enough to be on any of the ships, but I just happened to be in NY that week on a work project, and I remember seeing the Empire State Building lit in red colour, and hearing about the fireworks that evening with the ships lined up in the harbour.  In retrospect, it might not have been the precise "Cunard red", but it seemed close enough to me at the time.

A good photo is at http://www.traveltroll.info/2011/01/cunards-three-queens-meet-lady-liberty.html

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Got it.  Southampton, 8 November 2010, photo taken from QM2.  Both ships arrived in SOU that morning, QM2 transatlantic from NY and QE from the Med.  QV was in the eastern med that day, so it could not have been her. 

Exactly right. We were on QM2 that had docked a short time earlier at the QEII terminal in Southampton at the completion of our transatlantic crossing from New York. In that original photo, QE was passing by our position on her way to the Mayflower terminal. It was quite a wake-up call or us that morning when we heard the loud exchange of whistle blasts between the two ships to mark the occasion.

I hope I wasn't being too tricky by saying that photo of QE's arrival was taken during a 14-night Mediterranean cruise and people weren't trying too hard to match that port photo to a port in the Mediterranean. Of course while she's in the process of arriving in Southampton, she's still technically on that Mediterranean cruise.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

I must admit, however, I can't determine how the photo of QM2's "Q" would be different from QV's "Q".  I looked, but can't find a photo of QV's name taken close enough to verify a difference.  Perhaps something to do with the fibre optic lighting system, or maybe the shape on the tail of the Q?  I can't tell for sure.

The trick to telling that "Q" is from QM2 is to observe the fairly prominent seam running through the surface behind the letter about 2/3 of the way down from the top of the letter. That "Q" is of course part of the name displayed near the funnel. I think if you study the name displayed near the funnel on QV you won't find that same seam behind the lettering there. OK, that one was definitely a bit tricky.

Edit to add: When I just looked more closely at a picture of the lettering on QV, I do see a seam behind the lettering. That seam doesn't appear to be quite as prominent on QV though and it's positioned a bit higher as it runs behind the lettering on QV. But yeah, that was way too tricky to try to use that as a way to distinguish that "Q" as being from QM2. Sorry about that.

Edited by bluemarble

OK, I'm running rather low on images of Cunard ships in port. I suppose some of the other contributors to this thread may be in a similar situation. But I have managed to find this photo to add today. This may not quite qualify as "easy peasy", but I don't think it will take very long to identify this port either.

image.thumb.png.6bc8b55b8db5318c6abb896ffcd35754.png

21 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

OK, I'm running rather low on images of Cunard ships in port. I suppose some of the other contributors to this thread may be in a similar situation. But I have managed to find this photo to add today. This may not quite qualify as "easy peasy", but I don't think it will take very long to identify this port either.

image.thumb.png.6bc8b55b8db5318c6abb896ffcd35754.png

Flam

• Like 1

@sogne beat me by a few minutes.  A significant clue is the Kjosfossen on the glass in front of the railroad carriage.

I'm running low on new pictures also, but here are two from me for today.  There's a big clue within the first image of QV arriving at dawn.  The second picture is also QV, at a separate port later on in the same voyage.

image.thumb.png.c502d8283d63e317ded2c607d7937d73.png

image.thumb.png.1547f3445ce559e976c2849e2b963ec5.png

55 minutes ago, sfred said:

@sogne beat me by a few minutes.  A significant clue is the Kjosfossen on the glass in front of the railroad carriage.

I'm running low on new pictures also, but here are two from me for today.  There's a big clue within the first image of QV arriving at dawn.  The second picture is also QV, at a separate port later on in the same voyage.

image.thumb.png.c502d8283d63e317ded2c607d7937d73.png

image.thumb.png.1547f3445ce559e976c2849e2b963ec5.png

The first one is Sydney - thanks to the Opera House.

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

The first one is Sydney - thanks to the Opera House.

Correct!  As you say, the clue is the sail of the Sydney Opera House, rising like a shark fin from QV's deck 9 pool.

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

And the second one is Hobart, I would say.

Also correct!  Hobart was the next port call on the voyage.

18 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

It is, can you name the ships ?

I'd love to give it a go later today, but I really should get back to bed since it's still pretty early here and I have a busy morning ahead of me. I just happened to be up and noticed all the activity this morning so of course I had to jump right in and answer a few. Much as I'd love to continue to investigate the ships in your Barcelona photo, your second photo, and carlmm's photo, I'll have to leave the port investigation to the rest of you until later today. I'm really glad to see this thread is still going strong once again after a slow day yesterday.

• Like 1