Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Exactly right. We were on QM2 that had docked a short time earlier at the QEII terminal in Southampton at the completion of our transatlantic crossing from New York. In that original photo, QE was passing by our position on her way to the Mayflower terminal. It was quite a wake-up call or us that morning when we heard the loud exchange of whistle blasts between the two ships to mark the occasion.

I hope I wasn't being too tricky by saying that photo of QE's arrival was taken during a 14-night Mediterranean cruise and people weren't trying too hard to match that port photo to a port in the Mediterranean. Of course while she's in the process of arriving in Southampton, she's still technically on that Mediterranean cruise.

The trick to telling that "Q" is from QM2 is to observe the fairly prominent seam running through the surface behind the letter about 2/3 of the way down from the top of the letter. That "Q" is of course part of the name displayed near the funnel. I think if you study the name displayed near the funnel on QV you won't find that same seam behind the lettering there. OK, that one was definitely a bit tricky.

Edit to add: When I just looked more closely at a picture of the lettering on QV, I do see a seam behind the lettering. That seam doesn't appear to be quite as prominent on QV though and it's positioned a bit higher as it runs behind the lettering on QV. But yeah, that was way too tricky to try to use that as a way to distinguish that "Q" as being from QM2. Sorry about that.

12 hours later QE passing QM2 beautifully quiet evening  starlit sky but a different morning awaiting 

QE 9 Deck (6).jpg

Southampton Departure (6).jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

It is, can you name the ships ?

bluemarble is back on the case. The closest ship on the far left in your Barcelona photo is one of the MSC Fantasia-class ships and it is easy to narrow it down from there to either the Fantasia or Splendida. Those two ships are virtually identical.

Recent pictures I've been examining of Splendida show two additional smaller domes forward near the base of the mast that I'm not seeing in any pictures of Fantasia or in your photo. Older pictures of Splendida I'm seeing do not show those two additional smaller domes. Perhaps those were added to Splendida during her November 2017 refit.

So that may or may not be useful to differentiate between those two ships depending on when your photo was taken. If that photo was taken at the conclusion of your 2018 QV Mediterranean cruise, then I'll go with that ship being MSC Fantasia. And if your photo was taken then, obviously the Cunard ship in that photo would also have to be QV.

How's that for thoroughly over-analyzing a photo? 🙂

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

It's definitely Queen Victoria but I think it could be November 2016 (I'm away from home at the moment so I can't double check). 

OK, if that photo is from 2016, then the ship on the far left of your Barcelona photo ought to be the MSC Splendida. A roll call I found here places Splendida in Barcelona the same day you were there, November 9, 2016.

After further examination of the photo, the ship second from the left, in front of QV, is a good match to the Regent Seven Seas Voyager. That would be the same ship we saw previously in your photos from St Maarten. And what do you know, a roll call I found here also places Voyager in Barcelona on November 9, 2016.

I don't think there's much hope of identifying the ship(s) behind QV based on what's in the photo. That leaves one more cruise ship furthest away at the center of the photo. Not much detail there, but at least that's a side view of the ship with some clues to work with. But I think I'll take a break from ship spotting for a while and return to trying to identify ports instead.

14 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Or this one

FB_IMG_1599572931880.jpg

I think I've found this one. It's Santa Cruz de La Palma, La Palma, Canary Islands. What I think we're seeing here is the view from the cruise pier across to a container terminal situated beneath a rock formation known as Risco de La Concepción.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think I've found this one. It's Santa Cruz de La Palma, La Palma, Canary Islands. What I think we're seeing here is the view from the cruise pier across to a container terminal situated beneath a rock formation known as Risco de La Concepción.

That's correct

54 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

I wasn't going to post any more, but have given in to the temptation. This is a Canadian port. I can give a further clue if necessary.

P1030229.JPG

I'm going to say this one is Gaspé, Quebec. That's a tender port for QM2 in Canada and I've found a news report from her call at Gaspé in 2016 where the details in the background match up pretty well with what we see here. It's a close enough match that I'm reasonably confident this is Gaspé.

Edited by bluemarble

Just now, l2luv2cruise said:

That is the USS Iowa in San Pedro, Los Angeles, California.

That's correct. And that's a battleship for which I feel a certain affinity since I'm from Iowa. There's a wonderful large detailed model of the USS Iowa in our State Capitol building in Des Moines.

On 9/16/2020 at 4:29 AM, Host Hattie said:

I don't think I have posted this one yet, mainly because it's a terrible photograph !

DSC02570.JPG

I'm back on the case to identify that furthest cruise ship in the distance at the center of this photo. The more I study it, the more it also looks like an MSC Fantansia-class ship with either Fantasia or Splendida being the best matches.

Then I found an online MSC brochure for 2016 with itineraries that place both Fantasia and Splendida in Barcelona on November 9, 2016.

So here's my rundown of the four cruise ships I think I can identify in this photo, especially if it was taken on November 9, 2016.

MSC Fantasia

MSC Splendida

Queen Victoria

Regent Seven Seas Voyager

Now back to puzzling over the remaining port photos yet to be identified.

• Like 1