Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

To wrap up the details for my previous posts, my photo from yesterday was taken from the NYC Ferry on its way to drop us off at the Red Hook landing for the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. My photo from today was taken at the NYC Ferry's Wall Street/Pier 11 landing.

My apologies if I misled anyone by saying "I don't think we've seen QM2 docked at this port yet." I remembered Germancruiser's contribution showing QM2 underway with the Manhattan skyline in the background. But I had forgotten we also had this photo from IB2 taken from the ship docked at Brooklyn where we were asked to identify the dog breed. I think that detail is still unresolved if anyone would like to take up that challenge at this point.

On 8/29/2020 at 1:02 PM, IB2 said:

I’m going to post this one. The location is obvious, but the catch is that you also have to correctly identify the breed of the dog...

5C1556B8-B28E-4E75-AAD8-9B98E3DE9549.jpeg

On 9/13/2020 at 10:35 AM, carlmm said:

More clues wanted?

Here is a photo taken when leaving at lunch time.

quest2.JPG

I've finally figured this one out. It's Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The date is March 17, 2020. This was the last port of call for QV on her 2020 World Voyage before returning to Southampton without boarding any new passengers there and cancelling the subsequent scheduled call at the Azores.

Edit to add: I should have figured this out sooner from that clue about leaving at lunch time. I posted at the time that I had I just watched QV's departure on the Port Everglades webcam. That post was at 1:24pm Florida time.

Edited by bluemarble

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

And now my new contribution for today. Once again there's not a lot to go on, but let's give it a try anyway without any further hints at this point, including whether we have or have not seen this port before.

image.thumb.png.53dc942d7ff33dd220c3e374d81ae99e.png

Hi @bluemarble.  That would be Halifax.  I have a photo of the wife and I taken from approximately the same spot, with QM2 in the background, during the 175th voyage Southampton-Liverpool-Halifax-Boston-NY.  A memorable trip which remains our favourite Cunard experience.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sfred said:

Hi @bluemarble.  That would be Halifax.  I have a photo of the wife and I taken from approximately the same spot, with QM2 in the background, during the 175th voyage Southampton-Liverpool-Halifax-Boston-NY.  A memorable trip which remains our favourite Cunard experience.

That is correct and well done. I thought it might be recognizable without any further clues. Unlike my previous posts showing Brooklyn, this one from along the waterfront was not taken from an unusual viewpoint.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:35 AM, carlmm said:

More clues wanted?

Here is a photo taken when leaving at lunch time.

quest2.JPG

I'm also going to claim the ship spotting points for this one. The other ship in this photo is the Celebrity Reflection. I submit as evidence this capture from the PTZtv Port Everglades webcam I found in my archives from that day.

image.thumb.png.f4a7ef5dec71cf432fb2a3849fc40c72.png

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I've finally figured this one out. It's Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The date is March 17, 2020. This was the last port of call for QV on her 2020 World Voyage before returning to Southampton without boarding any new passengers there and cancelling the subsequent scheduled call at the Azores.

Edit to add: I should have figured this out sooner from that clue about leaving at lunch time. I posted at the time that I had I just watched QV's departure on the Port Everglades webcam. That post was at 1:24pm Florida time.

Most perfect!

Indeed I hoped the lunch time remark might help.

Not only that no new passengers were boarding, absolutely nobody, who steped ashore, was allowed back. This meant no excursions and even no passport controls which is very unusal for an American port. Also no new staff and no new entertainers were boarding thus there was a lot of improvisation during the last days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'm also going to claim the ship spotting points for this one. The other ship in this photo is the Celebrity Reflection. I submit as evidence this capture from the PTZtv Port Everglades webcam I found in my archives from that day.

image.thumb.png.f4a7ef5dec71cf432fb2a3849fc40c72.png

Perfect again, and thank you for the photo. I had not seen a picture of the Queen Victoria in the port from the outside before.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Perfect again, and thank you for the photo. I had not seen a picture of the Queen Victoria in the port from the outside before.

You might also enjoy this other capture I have from the PTZtv Port Everglades webcam showing QV's departure on that day. I probably should have posted this at the time, but better late than never I suppose.

image.thumb.png.2e22fa2e204b9cffd77c223ea4a015be.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

That is correct and well done. I thought it might be recognizable without any further clues. Unlike my previous posts showing Brooklyn, this one from along the waterfront was not taken from an unusual viewpoint.

It helped me a lot that I have a near-identical photo taken on 10 July 2015 during the Halifax port call on the 175th anniversary crossing.  I dug it out of my backup drive.  Even the same white boat in the foreground, refuelling barge at left, and weather conditions.  Is your photo also from the 175th trip, or a different voyage?

image.thumb.png.697bd391d7b95c4c6d1b3b17f9d0dc61.png

Edited by sfred

1 hour ago, sogne said:

it seems a clue is needed :  island in the eastern Med, also maiden call

I think I've found it with that hint. This looks like Souda, Crete with a view to the Souda/Suda Bay Allied War Cemetery which is visible from the cruise pier there. The itinerary I have says QV called at Souda on Oct 6, 2017.

Edited by bluemarble

2 hours ago, sfred said:

It helped me a lot that I have a near-identical photo taken on 10 July 2015 during the Halifax port call on the 175th anniversary crossing.  I dug it out of my backup drive.  Even the same white boat in the foreground, refuelling barge at left, and weather conditions.  Is your photo also from the 175th trip, or a different voyage?

image.thumb.png.697bd391d7b95c4c6d1b3b17f9d0dc61.png

Our two photos are very similar, aren't they? Mine was taken a year later though on 26 July 2016. That was during the first leg of a round trip crossing from New York for us. The return crossing from Southampton was a Blue Note Jazz at Sea voyage featuring Herbie Hancock.

I think we need another photo to work on. This one's going to be a bit different. Here we have QE entering a port that's virtually impossible to identify just from this photo alone. But I'm asking anyway to please identify these three details about this photo.

1) the port

2) the date the photo was taken

3) the other Cunard ship from which the photo was taken

Here's your clue. This was the first time since QE entered service that she met either of the other Cunard Queens in the same port.

image.thumb.png.36b44198e0eb6f95384207aba7fb505f.png

Edited by bluemarble

Is this perhaps the 13 January 2011 meeting of QE/QV/QM2 in New York?  If so, then the other ship would likely be QV.  If I recall correctly, there was some PR around the two ships sailing in "tandem" across the Atlantic.

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think I've found it with that hint. This looks like Souda, Crete with a view to the Souda/Suda Bay Allied War Cemetery which is visible from the cruise pier there. from the 2The itinerary I have says QV called at Souda on Oct 6, 2017.

correct the maim attraction is Charnia  payable bus about 2 euros   cemetery is about 40 minutes walk Interestingly there are also British and European graves dating from the 1890's when a joint European force  helped Crete gain independence from the Ottoman Empire

just down the bay is the wreck site of the cruiser HMS York

how about this  a rare  port we have been twice first time with RCI and this was the best day

wxy.JPG

Edited by sogne

4 hours ago, sfred said:

Is this perhaps the 13 January 2011 meeting of QE/QV/QM2 in New York?  If so, then the other ship would likely be QV.  If I recall correctly, there was some PR around the two ships sailing in "tandem" across the Atlantic.

That was a good try @sfred. New York on 13 January 2011 was a big event for Cunard as all three of the current queens met there for a "Royal Rendezvous" on that date. QE and QV had made a tandem crossing for that event departing Southampton together on 5 January 2011. But my photo is from an even earlier meeting of QE and just one of the other queens. Sorry if my wording might not have been entirely clear when I said this was the first time QE met "either" (rather than "both") of the other Cunard Queens in the same port.

Since I think my last post showing QE is the only item remaining to be resolved at this point (other than identifying that dog breed), and since my post was more about knowing itineraries than identifying a port from the photo, perhaps I should offer further hints now that we've reached the 12 hour mark rather than waiting a full 24 hours. Here goes.

My photo of QE arriving at port in the early morning hours was taken during QE's second voyage. That was a 14-night cruise to the Mediterranean following her maiden voyage, a 13-night Canary Islands cruise.

Here's a photo taken later that same morning showing QE docked at the port. I don't think it will be too hard to determine which port this is.

image.thumb.png.655bb212de0e2dc0939e85e4b3778ecd.png

Next, here is a photo showing a portion of the ship from which QE's photo was taken that morning. It may not be immediately obvious, but it is possible to determine which other ship this is from this photo.

image.thumb.png.18757fbd4f1333bff87bc0927a49241d.png

Given these additional hints about my original photo of QE arriving in port, let's give it another go to identify

1) the port

2) the date the photo was taken

3) the other Cunard ship from which the photo was taken