Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

And @sfred, I think you misspelled his name in your reply by including that second "e" where you would normally expect it to be.

Good catch, thanks.  Sorry @Underwatr.  I selected the wrong name from the autocomplete list that the message board suggests as likely usernames.

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

If I'm not mistaken, Cunard's most northerly stop.

010.jpg

I've matched this photo to Magdalenefjorden on Spitsbergen, Svalbard. I suppose the port (the northernmost port that I am aware of on any of the past itineraries for the current Cunard fleet) would be Ny-Ålesund. I figure the location of this photo is about 50 NM north of Ny-Ålesund.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:30 AM, exlondoner said:

I spotted myself in the picture of Visby - luckily in the far background with my back to the camera. Who else has found themselves in one of this splendid collection of photos?

I haven't but I could have been in some of the photos of the 3 Queen's in Liverpool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I've matched this photo to Magdalenefjorden on Spitsbergen, Svalbard. I suppose the port (the northernmost port that I am aware of on any of the past itineraries for the current Cunard fleet) would be Ny-Ålesund. I figure the location of this photo is about 50 NM north of Ny-Ålesund.

It is Magdalenefjorden. As is obvious this isn’t one of the current fleet. it was Caronia in 2002 and this WAS our port. We all tendered ashore where “The Most Northerly Bar In The World” had been set up and had a barbecue lunch on the beach.

I’ll see if I can upload the video to the Cruise Video thread. I think it’s still on VHS.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

It is Magdalenefjorden. As is obvious this isn’t one of the current fleet. it was Caronia in 2002 and this WAS our port. We all tendered ashore where “The Most Northerly Bar In The World” had been set up and had a barbecue lunch on the beach.

I’ll see if I can upload the video to the Cruise Video thread. I think it’s still on VHS.

Excellent! Great to learn about different experiences such as this from cruises on the former Cunard ships. I've managed to find Caronia itineraries from 2003-4, but not earlier. Magdalenefjorden definitely qualifies as a new port to add to my list. And now I know the true northernmost Cunard port. Thanks for posting that photo.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm finding evidence indicating that smaller craft operates out of Katakolon, Greece. That is a new port for this thread to add to my list.

correct

we might have had before but never mind

qed.JPG

19 hours ago, bluemarble said:

OK, that would be the pilot boat in Hamburg. Confirmed by marinetraffic showing pilot boat Lotse 2 currently in Hamburg.

there are 3 pilot transfers out of the Elbe, the harbour pilot here, river pilot disembarks at Brunsbuttel (Kiel Canal port) and sea pilot       

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I should have recognized this one sooner. I think this one is Jamestown, Saint Helena.

And I now understand your hint "The other ship is a good clue." After trying unsuccessfully to figure out which "Saga" ship that was, it finally dawned on me that the other ship is "RMS St Helena".

• Like 1