Ruby Stateroom D734 for Alaska

Ombud

I'm wondering if the room is worth it. Is there a lot of soot? I will be sailing with 2 granddaughters and 1 likes to sleep in. She's 6 / will be 7 so I don't leave her alone, hence cannot go up to Skywalkers. My thought is watching the wake off the back of the ship while having my breakfast from our balcony. The older kid will be 15 so she can watch her while I grab my latte. I'd have the rest delivered. 

23 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'm wondering if the room is worth it. Is there a lot of soot? I will be sailing with 2 granddaughters and 1 likes to sleep in. She's 6 / will be 7 so I don't leave her alone, hence cannot go up to Skywalkers. My thought is watching the wake off the back of the ship while having my breakfast from our balcony. The older kid will be 15 so she can watch her while I grab my latte. I'd have the rest delivered. 

I was looking at that room for Alaska (actually, D735) on the Ruby ... even had it booked but, it was ultimately canceled. 

Anyway, I asked the same question and from the responses, it looks to be at least half covered, almost cave like (which doesn't bother me in the very least), so very sheltered where you'd put the chairs or table in case of inclement weather in Alaska.  I understand there is a bit of vibration but soot was not an issue.  It looks to have a very nice area for lounging on the balcony, with one steel structure that narrows it quite a bit near the door ... but, it still looks like it would be a great place to hang out without the threat of soot.  This is a photo of the on cabin on the other side of that large white space, which is supposedly some output for their ventilation system.  Those metal pieces that stick out would be more of a concern ... they look like a toe catcher to me.  

32049.jpg

Here is a link to that same room on the Crown (a sister ship to the Ruby) that shows what the balcony looks like.  

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/youtube.php?id=6092

Edited by Cruise Raider

Thank you!! Nice large balcony with just 1 toe catcher. Anna & I both easily eat there while Amari sleeps in 😴 except on ziplining mornings

Clip is great but it won't go to the room. Why? 

Edited by Ombud

56 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Does the 3rd bed drop down from the ceiling or come out from the wall? I'm guessing the actual room isn't any larger than a standard balcony

3rd berth drops from the ceiling next to the closet wall. Cabin sleeps 3. Below is video. Notice no 3rd bunk against any wall.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

Unless C752 or C753 are available, they are aft on the corner - the best aft balconies - in our opinion.

IMG_2629.thumb.JPG.578043a8ca57b9e4f7ab87d74b43108d.JPG

I'm so glad you mentioned those cabins here.  When my cruise was canceled, these were available on the cruise I rebooked and nabbed one of them.  I was uncertain at first but, you confirmed I made a great choice.  I think I like being on the corner but still aft facing.  

I found a YouTube for the ship and it looked an awful lot like the grand class. How does the crown class differ? Both have Skywalkers,  IC (although he didn't know what it was .... stated frufru coffee only), Vines, Crooners, IMHO nuisance Art Gallery off Piazza ...... 😶

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I found a YouTube for the ship and it looked an awful lot like the grand class. How does the crown class differ? Both have Skywalkers,  IC (although he didn't know what it was .... stated frufru coffee only), Vines, Crooners, IMHO nuisance Art Gallery off Piazza ...... 😶

Grand Class ships and the Crown Class (super grand) are very similar. Easy to get around if you know the Grand Class.

Some differences for the Ruby

Extra passenger deck, holds 500 additional passengers.

No indoor pool. Calypso Reef pool is the MUTS pool. No MUTS at Neptune's Reef Pool. Other pools include the Lotus Spa Pool, Terrace Pool, and youth center pool.

Specialty restaurants include Crown Grill, SHARE, Salty Dog Gastropub evenings in the Wheelhouse Bar.

Salty Dog Grill and Slices Pizza are by the Lido Pools. Similar to Trident Grill & Prego Pizza but with some different menu selections which I feel are improvements. 

On deck 16 starboard aft you can find Adagio Lounge, usually a quite place. Could have some live music like jazz some evenings.

No Vista show Lounge, instead there is Club Fusion which is not really used for shows. 

Arrive 30 to 45 minutes early to see theater shows as well as comics or other events in Explorer's Lounge.

And yes, you will find the International Cafe, Vines, Crooners, all in familiar locations. 

Thank you. I don’t swim on the ship BUT a youth center pool will be really important. I think Amari will spend her days in the youth center. As a homeschooled child she relishes gymnastics, religious school, and anything with kids. Anna just wants hoops 

(Added: not that I'll intentionally 'deposit' her there but hey it's my vaca too 😎)

Edited by Ombud

Ombud- We always book aft cabins and have never really had a soot problem.

We may get a bit, but it has never bothered us. We can always ask our cabin

steward to wipe things down. The wake is FABULOUS!

A few years ago, Princess caught on that people really like the aft cabins and now

they cost more than the others.  😟

• Like 2

I'm beginning to wonder if I should shift to D619 (MD). I've never been in a mini suite before but when I took the 6yo 's stepbrothers I had connecting rooms. IMHO she's too little for that. Putting the MD on hold. I've got a boat load of FCC & gift cards that have to be used up by 5/1/22 (Pause 1)

12 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm beginning to wonder if I should shift to D619 (MD). I've never been in a mini suite before but when I took the 6yo 's stepbrothers I had connecting rooms. IMHO she's too little for that. Putting the MD on hold. I've got a boat load of FCC & gift cards that have to be used up by 5/1/22 (Pause 1)

Mini suites are a good choice. More cabin space, larger bathroom with tub which the youngest may like instead of the shower. The 3rd berth will be the convertible sofa. The balcony is 6'x9' and not covered. 

• Thanks 1