Did Norwegian Recently Shuffle Their Itineraries for Europe 2021

klfrodo

This will be our first Norwegian cruise.

Our past 10+ cruises were with Carnival or Royal

We had a 12 day scheduled with Royal out of Barcelona which got cancelled completely earlier this week.

I guess they are moving the Vision over to Puerto Rico. They didn't even offer an alternative ship, just cancelled.

Anyway, while making plans and reservations, I remained fluid just in case something like this came up.

We have moved to the Norwegian Epic out of Rome for a June 30, 2021 sailing.

What has me confused is that when I look for Roll Calls, there is nothing for June 30, and everything near it indicates the Epic is sailing out of Barcelona.

Therein lies my confusion.

Any help in clearing up this confusion is appreciated.

Kelly

Okay, I may have answered my own question.

It appears that if I go to NCL.com, I can book a 7 day cruise on the Epic departing Barcelona AND I can book a 7 day cruise departing from Rome.  I guess they debark and embark guests at both ports.

I've never run across this but is good to know.

Edited by klfrodo

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

This will be our first Norwegian cruise.

Our past 10+ cruises were with Carnival or Royal

We had a 12 day scheduled with Royal out of Barcelona which got cancelled completely earlier this week.

I guess they are moving the Vision over to Puerto Rico. They didn't even offer an alternative ship, just cancelled.

Anyway, while making plans and reservations, I remained fluid just in case something like this came up.

We have moved to the Norwegian Epic out of Rome for a June 30, 2021 sailing.

What has me confused is that when I look for Roll Calls, there is nothing for June 30, and everything near it indicates the Epic is sailing out of Barcelona.

Therein lies my confusion.

Any help in clearing up this confusion is appreciated.

Kelly

There hasn't been any "rescheduling on any line"   when the cruises have been canceled.   Simply a refund or credit for you to make another booking.    There is nothing to reschedule to.

As for the Epic,   This ship has to board in 2 locations.   Neither port can get the passenger numbers on timely.   And Barcelona essentially has maybe only a couple hundred seating capacity.      About 2/3's board in Barcelona,  and 1/3 out of Civi.    Have you boarded there before?   You do have to bus in the port,  then you go through processing and walk on the ship.      If you are arriving in Rome,  allow at least an hour transit..   I've only gotten there via,  public bus and train. -  multiple times being a cheapskate.  🙂    

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

It appears that if I go to NCL.com, I can book a 7 day cruise on the Epic departing Barcelona AND I can book a 7 day cruise departing from Rome.  I guess they debark and embark guests at both ports.

I don't think I would book anything in Europe for the next year. With the way covid is flaring up again in Europe lockdowns and more stringent travel restrictions are coming, maybe another ban on cruising. Once they get it back under control they will probably keep the restrictions in place a lot longer this time around. I suspect cruising in Europe will not be for North Americans for quite awhile.

40 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

I don't think I would book anything in Europe for the next year. With the way covid is flaring up again in Europe lockdowns and more stringent travel restrictions are coming, maybe another ban on cruising. Once they get it back under control they will probably keep the restrictions in place a lot longer this time around. I suspect cruising in Europe will not be for North Americans for quite awhile.

🙄 Don't recall asking that question or for that opinion but thank you for offering

Next

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

That's hysterical, you are worried about a flare up in Europe with your out-of-control infections, the US are barred from Europe and will remain so for the foreseeable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, klfrodo said:

This isn't anything new. You can also find the same practice on Royal Caribbean.

For the nearly identical Western Mediterranean cruises on Royal Caribbean (usually they will use an Oasis Class for this itinerary, and in 2021 this will be Harmony of the Seas), passengers can book a 7-night cruise from Barcelona to Barcelona, or a 7-night cruise from Rome to Rome. In the middle (i.e. around Day 4/5) of the cruise, you will see some other passengers disembarking because they also began the cruise earlier than you.

21 hours ago, klfrodo said:

🙄 Don't recall asking that question or for that opinion but thank you for offering

Next

Fair Enough.

From what I have been reading the cruise lines are shuffling their schedules quite a bit. Between ships being sold off, reducing schedules do to market demand, and websites constantly in flux from whatever it has got to be confusing.

21 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

That's hysterical, you are worried about a flare up in Europe with your out-of-control infections, the US are barred from Europe and will remain so for the foreseeable.

I agree.

I said in my post I suspect cruising in Europe will not be for North Americans for quite awhile.

Just last night some friends asked about getting together for an Alaskan cruise next summer. I told them I would not starting planning anything yet. Canada may well keep its border closed to the US well into next year. At least for cruising anyway.

I did this trip a few years back (full trip review with hints/tips in the signature below). I too didn't realize it was a split embarkation until well after we had booked. It 100% made getting room upgrades more challenging, because even if the cabin was available on your half of the trip it may not have been on the other half.

We got on in Rome and I found that to be much more easier/calmer than our day in Barcelona. It was a huge relief to walk right past everyone trying to get on in Barcelona, but it was definitely odd. We didn't have a safety drill until that Barcelona day and half the friends we made left us midway through our journey. Not sure I would intentionally book something like that again in the future.

9 hours ago, dexddd said:

On those trips NCL has had three ports to embark.  Barcelona is main one.  One thing I've noticed is Haven rooms not always bookable at other ports.

RCI and NCL only have two: either Barcelona or Civitavecchia.

For MSC or Costa, they can have embarking passengers at almost every ports in the Mediterranean. Other than the large ports such as Genoa / Barcelona / Civitavecchia, you will also see there are small number of passengers embarking and disembarking at Marseille / Naples / Livorno. Within a 7-night voyage, you can see luggage placed at the hallway nearly every night.