Ships berthed in Glasgow

Wandering Words

3 hours ago, Wandering Words said:

En-route from Manchester to Loch Ness did a brief stop at King George’s dock, so sad to see the ships like this.

Sorry about the picture quality it was the best I could get through the fence 🙂

No need to apologise, showcasing Glasgow with a clear blue sky is relatively rare! 😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Wandering Words said:

En-route from Manchester to Loch Ness did a brief stop at King George’s dock, so sad to see the ships like this....

Do remember to post any photos you get of the monster! 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wandering Words said:

En-route from Manchester to Loch Ness did a brief stop at King George’s dock, so sad to see the ships like this.

Sorry about the picture quality it was the best I could get through the fence 🙂

Thanks for the photo👍  Yes, a sad sight indeed. If I was actually there I’d find it quite emotional.  Many trips on those three ships and all over the world now just tied up and waiting🙁

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 3

On 10/6/2020 at 12:26 PM, gonecroozin said:

I would love to be able to see them, although it’s sad given the awful circumstances that led them to be docked there.

And given the new restrictions in central Scotland, I hear from some onboard that the crew on board can no longer can have shore leave.  The central Scotland restrictions are in place until at least 25th October.  They are hard for us living here, but will be even worse for the crew.

3 hours ago, uktog said:

And given the new restrictions in central Scotland, I hear from some onboard that the crew on board can no longer can have shore leave.  The central Scotland restrictions are in place until at least 25th October.  They are hard for us living here, but will be even worse for the crew.

Indeed, it doesn't bear thinking about.....poor folks, our thoughts go out to them.

• Like 1

A bit of good news for Scotland:  Hebridean Island Cruises just announced that they are certified 'Good to Go' by the government for cruises starting 1st March.  I know that's still a long way away, but at least it's a date.

18 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

A bit of good news for Scotland:  Hebridean Island Cruises just announced that they are certified 'Good to Go' by the government for cruises starting 1st March.  I know that's still a long way away, but at least it's a date.

The Majestic Cruise Line has been cruising out of Oban since early September.  Their owner is a former epidemiologist so they were bound to be first out the blocks. 
However the new rules this weekend (back to 2 metre distancing in many settings) mean good to go yesterday doesn’t mean gets to go today. 
In reality not much good news in Scotland today - maybe looks like it from a distance but it’s really challenging and restricted on the ground. 
All bars and restaurants in central Scotland are now closed for at least two weeks 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

In reality not much good news in Scotland today - maybe looks like it from a distance but it’s really challenging and restricted on the ground. 
All bars and restaurants in central Scotland are now closed for at least two weeks 

No good news from parts of Canada either.  Our bars and restaurants, except for patios and take-out, have just been closed down again for 28 days, as numbers go back up.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

No good news from parts of Canada either.  Our bars and restaurants, except for patios and take-out, have just been closed down again for 28 days, as numbers go back up.

Yes and we’ve not been allowed any visits in our home for the last three weeks but that hasn’t helped 

15 minutes ago, uktog said:

Yes and we’ve not been allowed any visits in our home for the last three weeks but that hasn’t helped 

I should have said I'm talking about Ontario, and specifically Toronto.  Visits are still discretionary, but they're being strong discouraged, especially this weekend which is Thanksgiving.  We continue to be urged to "do the right thing", but the under 30's particularly get stupid.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I should have said I'm talking about Ontario, and specifically Toronto.  Visits are still discretionary, but they're being strong discouraged, especially this weekend which is Thanksgiving.  We continue to be urged to "do the right thing", but the under 30's particularly get stupid.

Given that at least a significant group of the under 30’s are, out of financial necessity, living in shared accommodations and working in service jobs in gyms, restaurants, stores etc., I’m not certain that their increasing rates of infection are largely the result of stupidity. Moreover, I do wonder if it is wise to have them living on a downtown university campus. An epidemiologist has referred to that as like having a cruise ship in that area.

Facing these new and challenging circumstances, not always clearly explained, I must confess that I am not certain that I personally always do the right thing. 

Edited by nordski
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, nordski said:

Given that at least a significant group of the under 30’s are, out of financial necessity, living in shared accommodations and working in service jobs in gyms, restaurants, stores etc., I’m not certain that their increasing rates of infection are largely the result of stupidity. Moreover, I do wonder if it is wise to have them living on a downtown university campus. An epidemiologist has referred to that as like having a cruise ship in that area.

Facing these new and challenging circumstances, not always clearly explained, I must confess that I am not certain that I personally always do the right thing. 

I do know that University of Toronto residences are open, but reduced in occupancy, with all students, at least for now, occupying single rooms only.  They also have quarantine space set aside for students.  And as of last week, the entire curriculum has gone virtual, after a few weeks of experimenting with a "hybrid" model.

I walk through the campus frequently, since it's one of the lovely green spaces we have at our disposal, and it's very empty

As for the 20's and 30-somethings, I meant I guess that when they get together in groups, and start having a few beers, they start to "party", they revel in togetherness, and the safety barriers come down.  I don't blame them for that--we all are craving that right now.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH9YfELFJAL/?igshid=cxg1erplbgsz

Depends when I’m offerer the vaccine, but once I’ve had it, I’ll be looking at the next available voyage.

Me too!  I will wait until I know what life onboard is like post-Covid. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 2