The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

25 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

@ljandgb, our guide in Cologne mentioned that the black on the cathedral is due to pollution, but the soft stone would be damaged by any attempts to remove it by powerwashing, etc.  

Frankly the dark color adds to its "German-ess"!

I was there in 1999 in May and they were cleaning the Cathedral.  Really looked good!  They do clean it every so often--maybe 100 years?

4 hours ago, Ritabob said:

Fran, just to clarify, the memorial is actually called the Ypres Peace memorial because that is where it was made and then they moved it...acording to Mr. Google 😊

It is striking and a very emotional thing to see. 

Looking forward to Newcruiser's puzzler.  

RB 

Thanks...  I did not know the actual name of the structure - just that it was in Langemark by the entrance to the German Cemetery.  You had the name of the structure - so, technically - you should be posting the next photo?  Or, did you want to leave it for NewCruiser?  You both had parts of the answer.

And, yes - it is a very striking and emotional site.   I found the entire trip very thought provoking...  so glad we went.

Fran

Bake Apple - You are right. The photo is of a Janet Echelman sculpture in Porto, Portugal. We saw it on a bus tour of Porto during our Douro river cruise. The bus driver was kind enough to stop by the side of the roundabout and let us take pictures.

The sculpture is called She Changes. You can read more about it at https://www.echelman.com/project/she-changes.  If you go to Porto in Google maps, you can see additional pictures of the sculpture if you put "rotunda da anémona" in the search box.

Your turn.

• Like 1

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

This may be an easy one but it is one of my favorite medieval towns that I thought it deserved a little attention.   😁 Photo is from the Square and we visited on an excursion from our river cruise in June 2019.  Hopefully I got the attachment right.  This is such a great thread and thanks to all who are participating.

photo.jpg

Edited by Bake apple
mis typed the year.
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bake apple said:

Photo is from the Square and we visited on an excursion from our river cruise in June 2019. 

Definitely on the market square, as the two buildings say so. :classic_smile: But which one I have no idea. German language, hmm. I guess you imply this is not on a navigable river but a popular excursion. So I guess Main river.

notamermaid

It could be called "Hotchpotch Castle" the way it has been built. 😉 Round tower, square tower, hexagonal tower, ruined round tower... But I think the builders just learned to apply the latest fortification techniques. It does not look German. Perhaps the Seine?

notamermaid

6 hours ago, Bake apple said:

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

This may be an easy one but it is one of my favorite medieval towns that I thought it deserved a little attention.   😁 Photo is from the Square and we visited on an excursion from our river cruise in June 2019.  Hopefully I got the attachment right.  This is such a great thread and thanks to all who are participating.

photo.jpg

Maybe my favorite place in Germany!

• Like 1