Cruise proposals get positive reception in White House call

geovet

I was talking to my neighbor last night  who has been in the Coast Guard for over 15 years. He said his unit is preparing for supporting cruise ships as soon as January to not supporting cruise ships at all in 2021. Sort of depressing to hear that the Coast Guard has been told to prepare for the possibility of no cruises from US ports in 2021. That puts a damper on the mostly positive news I have heard/read lately concerning the return of cruising soon. 

• Thanks 1

I get how so many people want to get back to cruising asap, I miss it so much.

For me, I'm waiting until 2023 to get back to it.

I just can't be sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting for any little bit of news about cruises starting up and booking, getting cancelled, booking and getting cancelled again and again. I've had 3 cancelled already.

That would just drive me crazy.

I don't want to worry about tests at the port and anxious about it being a false positive and being denied boarding, masks, reduced services, excursion restrictions, etc. That's not the kind of cruising experience I want, I'm happy to wait it out.

I take my RV camping at the beach and that will suffice for now.

Best of luck to all of you who have cruises booked soon!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I was talking to my neighbor last night  who has been in the Coast Guard for over 15 years. He said his unit is preparing for supporting cruise ships as soon as January to not supporting cruise ships at all in 2021. Sort of depressing to hear that the Coast Guard has been told to prepare for the possibility of no cruises from US ports in 2021. That puts a damper on the mostly positive news I have heard/read lately concerning the return of cruising soon. 

In other words, no one really knows.

8 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

That pretty much covers it. Was just surprised to hear the possibility of no cruises in 2021  

A rather scary thought, but many on these boards have said they would not consider a cruise until 2022. (And others would hop aboard right now if they could.)

14 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

That pretty much covers it. Was just surprised to hear the possibility of no cruises in 2021  

Well, I heard Florida talking about it but I am not sure whether they will be able to handle it. They might lose  a huge chunk of income due to people leaving to other states to cruise or simply moving over. Florida has to do what it takes to keep people inside and make sure that no one gets sick anymore 

18 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

I wish people would stop postings these articles....There is no news in them...It's the same every time, So unless you were at the meeting or its a official Government release can we please give it a rest??

Ditto! Stop the speculation.

On 10/11/2020 at 8:59 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not sure what "support" cruise ships get from USCG.  What branch of the CG is he/she in?  Marine Inspection?  Port State Control?  Both of those are optional operations by the USCG that would have nothing to do with stopping ships from sailing.  Port Security?  Again, the Sea Marshals are optional, not always provided.

48 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure what "support" cruise ships get from USCG.  What branch of the CG is he/she in?  Marine Inspection?  Port State Control?  Both of those are optional operations by the USCG that would have nothing to do with stopping ships from sailing.  Port Security?  Again, the Sea Marshals are optional, not always provided.

Good questions, but I don’t know the answer. I don’t know him too well, I talked to him at an impromptu street party last weekend. In hindsight he didn’t really tell me anything, since he basically covered cruises resuming at any time next year.