Anyone tried a New Year cruise to Hamburg

sidekick180

Hi everyone,

I am considering booking the New Year cruise for December next year, which is going to Hamburg and Belgium. I've not been on one of these before, but I have heard that they are pretty amazing with a phenomenal firework display in Hamburg. Just wondered if anyone on here had experienced one of these cruises and could give some pointers about them. Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

Hi everyone,

I am considering booking the New Year cruise for December next year, which is going to Hamburg and Belgium. I've not been on one of these before, but I have heard that they are pretty amazing with a phenomenal firework display in Hamburg. Just wondered if anyone on here had experienced one of these cruises and could give some pointers about them. Thanks in advance.

We did it last year on Ventura. 

The fireworks were a massive disappointment really as there was nothing at the port and you are too far away from the town to get the atmosphere, if that makes sense. 

They tend to go for quantity over quality, so a continual display for about an hour but no big 'reveal' at midnight. 

We enjoyed the cruise, but said we wouldn't bother again as it was just too busy and under staffed, a common issue for New Year apparently. 

Glad we did it though. 

Andy 

Edited by AndyMichelle
  • Like 2

We did the cruise the year before but on the Aurora . Andy's description is a fair account plus 

that year we had a freezing air frost /fog  that was there all day ,so the fireworks were barley 

visible unless close by .

I would say the weather and the town slowly shutting down for the New year ,kept most people 

onboard ,apart from the ships decorations the day was pretty normal .

We did book to go on the same cruise Andy went on ,hoping the weather would be a bit better and the

Ventura being a bigger ship there could be possibly more to do but as we read from Andy, s cruise ,it 

sounds like more of the same but on a bigger ship.I never got to go on the last one due to health reasons 

Don't get me wrong we enjoyed our time away and would say go for it ,if you have not been before.

• Like 1

Kind of on thread... but I feel worth mentioning for others..

Exactly the same thing just outside Amsterdam.. high buildings, smoke, nothing seen below high sky level.

Luckily, after the Captain's funny apologetic announcement everyone could see the funny side and it became quite a topic of conversation and announcements.

Now Madeira.... different story.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Kind of on thread... but I feel worth mentioning for others..

Exactly the same thing just outside Amsterdam.. high buildings, smoke, nothing seen below high sky level.

Luckily, after the Captain's funny apologetic announcement everyone could see the funny side and it became quite a topic of conversation and announcements.

Now Madeira.... different story.....

If I could go on any of our New Year Cruises again ...Madeira ,everytime ! :classic_smile:

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Let's face it, a fire work display in N Europe in December is always going to be a risky one to see.

Madeira has a good firework display at New Year and that is a more reliable bit of Europe for New Year weather.  They run four displays (from different companies on the short list for the New Year contract that year) in June for the final selection. We saw one of them when staying on the Island about three years ago, they are done on four consecutive Saturdays at about 10pm.

Edited by tring

I've never forgotten the sight of about 8 lit up cruise ships, anchored off Madeira, and the mountains lit up, noise echoing, and the Island seemingly trembling.  Never seen anything like it. 

Very emotional.

Our New Year  cruises to places like Hamburg/Amsterdam were brilliant, but for the ships and experiences, not the fireworks!

• Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone for your feedback and comments. Can't say that I am convinced to book now.

I was aiming to get a balcony cabin on Ventura for the 5 night break to Hamburg and Belgium, but at a cost of £2400, I'm not sure it would be worth it, especially if it's mega busy, under staffed and not much to see if the weather is rubbish.

I might have to look at some different options to celebrate New Year 2021.

I definitely want to do something next year, because I really don't think there will be much happening anywhere this New Years Eve.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sidekick180 said:

Thank you to everyone for your feedback and comments. Can't say that I am convinced to book now.

I was aiming to get a balcony cabin on Ventura for the 5 night break to Hamburg and Belgium, but at a cost of £2400, I'm not sure it would be worth it, especially if it's mega busy, under staffed and not much to see if the weather is rubbish.

I might have to look at some different options to celebrate New Year 2021.

I definitely want to do something next year, because I really don't think there will be much happening anywhere this New Years Eve.

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

For that price you could stay in a good hotel in Madeira and see the fireworks!

The difference is that Madeira has an official fireworks done by the city. This is not the case in Hamburg. It is just all the local people doing their own private fireworks in the gardens and on the streets everywhere and sometimes anytime around midnight. 

3 hours ago, 9is said:

To those that have done this Cruise was the New Year’s Eve Menu Haggis, neeps and tatties. My favourite, if so I may need to book.  Thanks in advance. 

I thought that was the menu for Burns' Night.

And don't forget the whiskey to pour over the neeps. Helps you forget what you are eating. 

10 hours ago, 9is said:

To those that have done this Cruise was the New Year’s Eve Menu Haggis, neeps and tatties. My favourite, if so I may need to book.  Thanks in advance. 

Nope, I think I had lamb? 

Limited choices but what we had was OK. 

Andy