Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

On 6/29/2021 at 4:15 AM, Westaussie said:

Like you, we are now in lockdown too, so I am thoroughly enjoying your review of Norway.  Lovely photos and so far all places we have been too (lived in Malta for 16 years - so much history there).  Sailed out of Southampton three years ago so I should find some familiar places there.

Ellie, I'm still with you but sad that this trip will be over soon!

That’s so good to hear, Westaussie.

To be honest I’m really surprised that anyone is still reading! 😉 It could only happen in a pandemic! 🤣

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2021 at 1:38 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

second the motion!!!

On 7/2/2021 at 1:33 PM, margord said:

I third the notion.

Goodness me, JF-retired RRT and margord- are you sure? 

Well, we are going on Regal Princess, all being well, to celebrate my birthday and our wedding anniversary, on a cruise to nowhere from Southampton, something I thought I’d never do. But needs must, and I just can’t wait a moment longer to get back to cruising.

However, we are cautious, as a lot can happen before then. We just hope that the preceding cruises go well, despite the Delta variant. 

So I guess there is scope for a ‘Cruise to Nowhere’ review, if you are really serious! ☺️

• Like 1

A Little Catch-up

Well, I must apologise for the delay in posting. We’ve had a busy few days, what with Father’s Day, my husband’s birthday, having our 5 year old grandson for the weekend - and getting caught up in Purple Traveller’s fantastic Norway review.

I hope all you Cruising Adventurers are still keeping fit and well. We have watched the terrible heat which many parts of the US and Canada are experiencing, and we hope that you are all ok, and not suffering too much.

I do hope azbirdmom is well as I don’t seem to have seen her around recently. Hope she hasn’t flown away….🐦

• Like 3

A Busy Afternoon

3C0E09F5-CCDE-4F06-967C-6D743651F461.thumb.jpeg.b07bf1f11c459718bde8153aa4b10c62.jpeg

Progressive Trivia is a little later today at 1.15 pm in Club Fusion, as usual, and we don’t have time to do the Poolside Music Trivia at 12.30 pm, as we cannot let our team down and arrive late.

There is a real feeling of anticipation as the quiz starts, and we are all anxious to find out how our team is doing, but once again, our quizmaster refuses to give us any idea of what everyone has scored so far. It’s pretty frustrating as we have never experienced this before. But he is adamant we cannot know. His reasons will become clear later on in the cruise…..

We miss the Ice Carving demonstration outside by Neptune’s Reef and Pool on Deck 15, but when we first started cruising we never missed the chance to see these artists at work. It always amazes one how a solid piece of ice can become an eagle in flight or a mermaid or a dolphin at the hands of an expert ice carver. What a fantastic skill it is.

There is also a ‘How it’s Made Back Stage Tour’ at 1.30 pm, which we are very sorry to miss.

But I must rush down to the Conference Room on Deck 6 for Hawaiian Orchid Lei Making at 1.45 pm. When I get there I can see a long queue already forming, but luckily I have a ‘golden ticket’ as yesterday those of us who were turned away from the Lei Making were given tickets guaranteeing us a place today.

Spot on time the doors open, and the lucky ticket holders are waved in, me included. There are muttering and murmurings from those left behind, especially by those at the front of the line who appear to think we are jumping the queue.

E7F8D318-9537-411C-8CA6-1862423E151A.thumb.jpeg.1aa1c41af6c1df1e80a4f88d54f6bcdb.jpeg

We find a seat and then we are brought some beautiful real orchids. After a quick demonstration we get on with making our leis. I have never had the opportunity to make something as beautiful as this and I really enjoy it.

99E117BC-11DB-4574-809E-0A6BD4A723D2.thumb.jpeg.a7302121f2dcd48b5098a8b94cc63683.jpeg

Then it’s time to dash upstairs to Club Fusion for Tribond with our team. Now tribond is something I had never experienced before sailing on an American ship, and I love doing it. I’m not very good at it but I’m getting better. Some of our team mates are so quick, but poor DH is totally bemused by the whole thing.

Some I get easily - Grandfather Clock, Poker Player, Height of a Horse - HANDS of course. This one is easy too, Log, Baby, Rock - it’s SLEEP! And this one, Lower Leg, Mother rhino, Mother hippo,  the answer is CALF.

I love this one - IRS when you don’t pay, creditors, letter ‘v’ - and the answer is ‘THEY ALL COME AFTER YOU ( ‘U.’)  Clever, eh?

We get 17 right which we think is quite good, but you’ve guessed it, it’s not good enough as 19 wins!

Here are the ones we miss:

Gymnast, Springboard Diver, Downhill Skier.   THEY ALL TUCK

Stag, An Arabian, Flying Camel.  MANOEUVRES  IN FIGURE SKATING

Peltate, Deltoid,Cordate. LEAF SHAPES

Tribond over, we dash down to the Botticelli Dining Room on Deck 6 to take part in the Grapevine Wine Tasting. Now, although I don’t drink wine (just don’t like the taste) it’s one of the perks of being Elite (please don’t worry about curtsying), and DH is happy to try the wine.

033845E6-2A8F-4631-BE95-22FBF088C8B5.thumb.jpeg.f1c6b14a71df18212f6380d68e62cf42.jpeg

8DA0CBF9-9FCE-4998-90ED-34EF895255BA.thumb.jpeg.8d033a2538fdb5119a663d0695dfe386.jpeg

The tables are nicely laid out with several wine glasses, and some little nibbles.

32E9482B-51CD-47EC-B0B8-E2EB42663E15.thumb.jpeg.cc22c54ec66ca3518802dac313765503.jpeg

It’s an interesting experience, but to be honest, it goes over my head. However, DH enjoys himself.

But I’d prefer a cup of tea…

And guess what? It’s time for afternoon tea!

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

Yes, the wine tasting...I go for the cheese and crackers.  If you are fortunately enough for me to join your table, you will get ALL of my red wines.  I miss the souvenir glasses.  I have a nice collection.  At least one complete set.

As for the ice sculpture....I vowed on one short cruise to do "everything".  Made it up to the Lido deck to get a great view.  Oooops....one wrong misstep and a totally different creation.  Such creative minds.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Thank you so much Purple Traveller!

I have started reading your wonderful blog and am really enjoying your fabulous photos.

It has certainly whetted my appetite for Norway, and I am so loving sitting back and enjoying Norway vicariously. 

So glad you posted the link as I doubt I would ever have found it otherwise.

Thank you so much. I'm glad you're enjoying my little review and photos. So maybe a Norway cruise may be on your horizon sometime in the future? 🚢

• Like 1

While we have been busy there has been the Afternoon Movie: Galaxy Quest with Sigourney Weaver at 2.00 pm, and SeaCrafts@Sea at 3.00 in the Conference Room on Deck 6. There is also a Concert: Young Euro Classics on Deck 16 at 4.00 pm.

After our usual delicious afternoon tea it is time for us to meet up again with our lovely quiz team for Afternoon Trivia. We enjoy their company but, alas, we are pipped at the post again. We miss out on the number of heads of Hydra, which is 9, as well as the number of verses in the Greek National Anthem which is an astonishing 158! Ah well, there is always tomorrow….

We decide to go and get ready for dinner early as we want to join in with the 6.45 pm Broadway Trivia, which unfortunately clashes with tonight’s ‘Showtime: Duncan Tuck’ who is, apparently, a musical entertainer. I really enjoy Broadway Trivia, and we do well scoring 20/25, but we needed just one more point to win.

Whilst we recognised songs from Lion King, Evita, Mamma Mia, Les Miserables, West Side Story, A Little Night Music, Hair and Phantom of the Opera, we lose out, as we don’t recognise ‘Rhythm of Life’ from Sweet Charity. Neither do we know the songs from Rent, Spamelot and Gypsy (Everything’s Coming Up Roses). But it’s been fun.

We are just in time to dash down for dinner. It is Italian night, which I have to confess I am not a great fan of.

FAC485F7-D562-4458-9B9D-61C7F3ADD975.thumb.jpeg.df2a35a0192ad2b9a237befa8ad2c4e6.jpeg

6648781A-2976-4FB6-80A3-D479063E7CB3.thumb.jpeg.da2011e88c290190a1df0e4a3a962842.jpeg

1AE7AD9D-ABD8-4478-AA15-BFDB3CDCE00B.thumb.jpeg.c00ddb96cfb245ed98765496ae79b681.jpeg

DH orders the prosciutto with melon which looks very pretty. I order a fruit plate.

425236D7-E240-4062-843D-F91E1156C7C2.thumb.jpeg.f43b7b0a3e850680eb10d11800941721.jpeg

A282107D-002C-499E-B5ED-48E22C9A323D.thumb.jpeg.3527400758ce669ba354796903d74223.jpeg

Both of us decide to order from the  Princess Favourites menu, and so I choose the Sautéed Chicken Breast and he, as usual, chooses the Grilled Salmon.

FFFBFA6E-4245-419D-84A0-42EEDC964CE1.thumb.jpeg.e5934bc22c1d229f1ffc7a164250e989.jpeg

CA6DBA34-78B4-4884-BE3B-037DD848CE82.thumb.jpeg.8bf1357e6ee419485900c788666d6bb4.jpeg

3B51A5A0-3BEC-449B-88FE-32D4053A17CC.thumb.jpeg.70f048f1b7f498bf7be3b2dc7c6014fb.jpeg

8F2F816C-BD5D-47A8-A40B-DB9BAF36FB62.thumb.jpeg.b434c5566f9d61ad883ee830cfcea60c.jpeg

DH chooses the Tiramisu, but I give dessert a miss. 

Edited by ellie1145

In your Easter bonnet,

With all the frills upon it,

You’ll be the grandest lady in the Easter parade….

Now I wonder if any of you remember which movie featured this song performed by Judy Garland and Fred Astaire in 1948?

As we make our way out of the dining room, and enter the piazza, we see a spectacular display of Easter confections, showing, once again, the skill and dedication of the chefs onboard Ruby Princess. 

8A134F64-1033-40D3-B0B9-7075061652A0.thumb.jpeg.1decbf910967cef73d861c491edc325b.jpeg

Nemo

E6745459-BEED-4C9C-AD49-8EA5DBA123AC.thumb.jpeg.efd0c53bc1eb7a9587b91f1cf608330f.jpeg

Minion

1B88589D-05D3-4A3C-875A-EA369BD234CE.thumb.jpeg.d73af21e21c3eea615ce5d5c9cb60cab.jpeg

Mickey Mouse

B70AF9C9-0066-451F-8036-63B296AB8BD0.thumb.jpeg.a92cf84312a7509af4e147574386fca6.jpeg

3BEB423A-AF58-4AE7-9826-505AF7ED1459.thumb.jpeg.04f6cc71a4715d8bab660f9d4ad5da1a.jpeg

CAE3F438-0B2A-4090-B420-E83E9E85653A.thumb.jpeg.6951805dc5da205fb7cd9d3c1aee9c86.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 11:42 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, the wine tasting...I go for the cheese and crackers.  If you are fortunately enough for me to join your table, you will get ALL of my red wines.  I miss the souvenir glasses.  I have a nice collection.  At least one complete set.

As for the ice sculpture....I vowed on one short cruise to do "everything".  Made it up to the Lido deck to get a great view.  Oooops....one wrong misstep and a totally different creation.  Such creative minds.

That’s interesting, cr8tiv1, I didn’t realise that at one time you got a souvenir glass. Do you have a photo of them? Do they have the Princess logo on them?

I chuckled at your description of the ice carving. I wonder how often a sudden slip of the chisel leads to a quick change of creation? 😉

On 7/4/2021 at 12:50 AM, PurpleTraveller said:

Thank you so much. I'm glad you're enjoying my little review and photos. So maybe a Norway cruise may be on your horizon sometime in the future? 🚢

You never know, Purple Traveller. We have always shied away from the colder climes of Norway, or indeed Alaska. But it looks amazing, and might be on the horizon at some point. 😉

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 12:52 AM, PurpleTraveller said:

Definitely! I have so enjoyed your reviews and would love to read another! 😊

Well, I will have to see what I can do…..

How are things with you in Australia? Have you been able to get the vaccinations? 

We can’t wait to visit Australia again and hope it won’t be too long before we return. 

3 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Easter Parade is the movie.

Wow, dickinson, that was quick!

You are, indeed, correct.

Your updated mini Tardis will, of course, be on it’s way to you momentarily!

We just wanted to wish all our American friends a Happy July 4th.

We hope that those of you who are experiencing very high temperatures will soon get some respite.

We have watched with great sadness the drama unfolding in Miami, and the efforts of the rescuers who have toiled, hour after hour, to try to bring closure to the families of the missing, in the terrible Champlain Towers collapse. Our thoughts are with you all. We hope that the impending Tropical Storm will pass without any further damage. 

Miami was the very first place we ever flew to in the USA, and where we boarded our first Caribbean cruise, so it holds a special place in our hearts.  

Edited by ellie1145

On 7/3/2021 at 1:33 PM, ellie1145 said:

I do hope azbirdmom is well as I don’t seem to have seen her around recently. Hope she hasn’t flown away….🐦

I'm here!  No flying away for me and I think I'm all caught up.  I think I've spent my time here lately more on the Medallion app issues and other changes in anticipation of our upcoming Alaska cruise.  But I'm finally through all of that (except the cruise of course) so your pictures of menus and descriptions of events are again getting me excited for our cruise in less than 5 weeks!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I'm here!  No flying away for me and I think I'm all caught up.  I think I've spent my time here lately more on the Medallion app issues and other changes in anticipation of our upcoming Alaska cruise.  But I'm finally through all of that (except the cruise of course) so your pictures of menus and descriptions of events are again getting me excited for our cruise in less than 5 weeks!

So glad to see you back, azbirdmom, we missed you! Hope your little bird is well.

I haven’t had time to look at anything else apart from Purple Traveller’s wonderful Norway cruise review, but I shall have to take a look at the Medallion app thread.

I have just spent an hour and a half trying to get the darn thing to work so that I could do online check-in. I think I was ready to throw my iPad out of the window with utter frustration. We are due to sail on a very short cruise in August and I don’t remember being unable to complete online check-in at this stage before. So much for technology and progress! 🥴

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Well, I will have to see what I can do…..

How are things with you in Australia? Have you been able to get the vaccinations? 

We can’t wait to visit Australia again and hope it won’t be too long before we return. 

It would be wonderful if you could!

We have been doing really well in Australia with our death toll still under 1,000 however we currently have an outbreak of the Delta variant in Sydney, caused by a Limo driver taking an overseas cargo plane crew to a hotel. Sydney is in lockdown but unfortunately many are not taking it seriously with beaches and parks packed and picnics, parties and markets all happening. It should be a full lockdown to nip this outbreak in the bud as we don't want the outbreak to get worse. 

Our vaccination rollout has been a bit messy and slow but about 40% of the adult population have had their first dose and more vaccines are becoming available. It is more difficult to get vaccinated in the country where I am and I have an appointment for my first Pfizer vaccination in mid August which I made as soon as I was eligible. 

Hopefully we can all get vaccinated as soon as possible so that Australia can reopen to the world and we can travel again and also welcome back visitors. 😊

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

So glad to see you back, azbirdmom, we missed you! Hope your little bird is well.

I haven’t had time to look at anything else apart from Purple Traveller’s wonderful Norway cruise review, but I shall have to take a look at the Medallion app thread.

I have just spent an hour and a half trying to get the darn thing to work so that I could do online check-in. I think I was ready to throw my iPad out of the window with utter frustration. We are due to sail on a very short cruise in August and I don’t remember being unable to complete online check-in at this stage before. So much for technology and progress! 🥴

Our little bird is fine.  And I guarantee that the Medallion app stuff will give you a giant headache.  My problems have all been resolved but it took sending lengthy emails including screen shots to the Medallion team.  I wouldn't have bothered had I not had a cruise upcoming in early August.  My phone is newer but they have told folks who either have older Smart devices or who have just plain given up on it that they will complete the rest of the check in information at the port for them.  Ironically we were all checked in prior to the migration of this function to the app.  But I have finally achieved "green" status and have completed all except the departure group step and the health info.  The former doesn't seem to be available yet and the latter should allow inputs 3 days prior to embarkation from what I've heard.  In any event your time is much better spent reliving a wonderful cruise rather than cursing at your Smart device - take it from me as I did plenty of the latter!

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2021 at 7:50 PM, PurpleTraveller said:

I am also reading it.  We are (hopefully) doing a Norwegian Fjord cruise next summer and throughly enjoying your review and the beautiful photos.  Thank you so much for sharing.

• Like 2

Music, Maestro, Please!

(Now I am sure none of you remembers the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra……)

As usual, there is plenty of live music around the ship tonight.

Souvenir Duo play ‘Evening Melodies’ in the Piazza at 5.30 pm and 7.15 pm, whilst the Walker Blac Duo presents ‘The Music of Fleetwood Mac’ in Explorers at 8.30 pm. They can be found in Explorers at 10.30 ‘till late for ‘Music and Dancing.’

Richard Sulek is in Crooners at 6.15 pm and 7.15 pm and can be found in the Wheelhouse Bar for ‘Piano and Cocktails’ at 8.00 pm.

Mary Simon plays ‘Guitar and Melodies’ in the Wheelhouse Bar at 7.00 pm, and again at 9.00 pm until late. She is a very talented performer and well worth seeing.

Tommy McPhee is in Crooners from 8.00 pm until 8.45 pm, as well as from 9.15 pm until late.

The Main Offenders present ‘The Music of Motown’ in Club Fusion at 9.15 pm followed by ‘Dance Music’ at 10.15 until late.

If you prefer listening to a DJ then Crowd DJ plays your favourite songs for listening and dancing in Club Fusion at 8.30 - 9.15 pm.

DJ11 presents ‘Journey Through the Decades’ in Skywalkers from 10.00 - 11.00 pm, after which he plays for you to ‘Dance All Night.’

Of course, if you prefer to make your own music then you should head down to Club Fusion for ‘Karaoke Power Hour’ at 7.30 pm.

We are in dinner when there is Crazy Trivia Fun in Explorers, called ‘Where would I lose my luggage?’ It sounds fun and I wonder what it is about. We may never know…

However, we do manage to get to the Liars’ Club Gameshow in Explorers, which is really funny. In case you have never experienced this, it is where three members of the crew describe what a word means, and then the audience has to decide which person is telling the truth. Some of the explanations are really hilarious and sometimes the most bizarre and outrageous meanings are actually true. It is great fun, and we come away chuckling.

Tonight we once again lose an hour’s sleep. It was lovely on the way to Hawaii to gain an hour or two, but it’s much more exhausting when we have to give those hours back.

So we decide to have a quick cup of decaffeinated tea in Horizon Court before wending our weary way to bed. As always, our room is beautifully prepared, with the curtains closed, the Princess Patter on the bed and a chocolate on our pillows. But best of all is that wonderfully comfortable Princess bed. It’s a pity that it won’t fit in my suitcase as I would love to take it home.

Tomorrow is our last sea day, and our wonderful cruise is rapidly coming to an end. We must start packing in preparation for our disembarkation. We have joined up with two of our fellow travellers (who we went on our trip with) to share their transport to the airport, which is great. 

But we still have 2 more days and another port to enjoy before we must say ‘auf wiedersein’ to this lovely ship, and our fellow trivia mates.

And we will also play our final Progressive Trivia and find out, at last, how we have done and who has won……or will we? 😡

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 11:19 PM, PurpleTraveller said:

It would be wonderful if you could!

We have been doing really well in Australia with our death toll still under 1,000 however we currently have an outbreak of the Delta variant in Sydney, caused by a Limo driver taking an overseas cargo plane crew to a hotel. Sydney is in lockdown but unfortunately many are not taking it seriously with beaches and parks packed and picnics, parties and markets all happening. It should be a full lockdown to nip this outbreak in the bud as we don't want the outbreak to get worse. 

Our vaccination rollout has been a bit messy and slow but about 40% of the adult population have had their first dose and more vaccines are becoming available. It is more difficult to get vaccinated in the country where I am and I have an appointment for my first Pfizer vaccination in mid August which I made as soon as I was eligible. 

Hopefully we can all get vaccinated as soon as possible so that Australia can reopen to the world and we can travel again and also welcome back visitors. 😊

I am so glad to hear that you will soon be able to have your first vaccination, Purple Traveller. You must obviously be extremely young to have to wait that long! 🤣

We hope the vaccine roll out will increase in speed so that more Australians will be protected. Australia has done very well so far, but that must have been at a cost. Isolation cannot continue forever, and unfortunately the only real way to protect the population is by vaccinating the majority. We have been lucky in the UK that, despite the terrible losses in the beginning of the pandemic, we have had an unbelievably positive response to the vaccinations,  and people have been more than willing (and actually really grateful) to receive their doses. 

I guess I have a very selfish reason for wanting Australians to be vaccinated - of course I hope that everyone will be safe, but I also can’t wait for Australia to open up its borders to us, so we can return to one of our favourite places in the world. I am sure that many Australians are also desperate to travel again, and to welcome family from other parts of the world, after not being able to see them for so long. 

• Like 2