Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

On 6/19/2021 at 1:00 AM, cnd crsr said:

Hi Ellie,

Just joined in again and will try my hand at the questions:

1. I think London is further north???

4. Ecuador own the Galapagos Islands.

5. Schubert's String Quartet 14 is called Death and the Maid.

Hope I win, I need a trip, not  sure where I will return yet!

Lovely to see you back again, and joining in with the Trivia.

You absolutely HAVE won! Well done, you are correct. 

Your super upgraded mini Tardis will be winging its way to you! Hope you enjoy revisiting a wonderful previous cruise. Now, all you need to do is decide which one you choose first. 😉

On 6/19/2021 at 1:10 AM, cnd crsr said:

My choice this afternoon will be the concert with Annie Lennox and afternoon tea before heading up to get dressed for formal night.

And the only U.S. royal palace is in Honolulu.

The progressive trivia questions were difficult!  I didn't do too well/

Gail

Sounds like you made some good choices there, Gail.

And you are right, the only Royal Palace in the US is in Honolulu. 👏

Yes, those Progressive Trivia were really tough and we scored abysmally. Wouldn’t have been so bad if we’d been able to find out how the rest of the teams did. 

Edited by ellie1145

On 6/19/2021 at 1:29 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

City with a royal palace is Honolulu, Hawaii.

Absolutely right, and an upgraded mini Tardis will be winging its way to you via Amazon (the river, of course!) 👏

Just now, ellie1145 said:

Absolutely right, and an upgraded mini Tardis will be winging its way to you via Amazon (the river, of course!) 👏

Iolani Palace to be correct

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 3:14 AM, dickinson said:

2. Denmark

6. Aerosmith

Well done, dickinson, you are absolutely correct, and an upgraded mini Tardis will be winging its way to you via Amazon (the river, of course!) 👏

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

Iolani Palace to be correct

Hi, AF-1 Nice to hear from you again. Hope you and the family are well. 

Thank you for that extra information. Have you seen the palace?

Of course, an upgraded mini Tardis will be winging its way to you via Amazon (the river, of course!) 👍

On 6/12/2021 at 10:27 PM, ellie1145 said:

1. Which city is furthest north, Quebec or London? LONDON

2. Which is the southernmost country in Scandinavia? DENMARK

3. Who is Frederick Austerlitz better known as? FRED ASTAIRE

4. Who do the Galápagos Islands belong to? ECUADOR

5. What is Schubert’s String Quartet No 14 in D minor known as? DEATH AND THE MAIDEN

6. What Veteran Rock Band released ‘Just Push Play’? AEROSMITH

These are the answers to the Trivia questions. Thank you to all of those who took part!

1. Which city in the USA has a royal palace? HAWAII

2. What is pentheraphobia? FEAR OF YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW

3. Which 1965 Beatles song is the most covered song of all time? YESTERDAY

4. Who is the fastest man on earth? USAIN BOLT 

He ran 100 metres in 9.58 seconds in Berlin in 2009.

However, it is believed that an Indian by the name of Srinivas Gouda may well smash this record in due course. 

12 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Hi, AF-1 Nice to hear from you again. Hope you and the family are well. 

Thank you for that extra information. Have you seen the palace?

Of course, an upgraded mini Tardis will be winging its way to you via Amazon (the river, of course!) 👍

Have I seen the palace?  I was stationed in Hawaii for five years.  Anytime a family member visited me; I would take them downtown Honolulu to the palace, 5-0 Headquarters, and Bishops Museum. Then we head up to the Punchbowl.  From there we go up the Pali Highway and thru tunnel towards the northeast shore.  That was just one day of fun.  Just got back from Hawaii with the family.  We spent the entire time on Waikiki Beach.  We sailed on Catamaran, snorkeled and went to Japanese Temple.  Fun times.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

These are the answers to the Trivia questions. Thank you to all of those who took part!

1. Which city in the USA has a royal palace? HAWAII

2. What is pentheraphobia? FEAR OF YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW

3. Which 1965 Beatles song is the most covered song of all time? YESTERDAY

4. Who is the fastest man on earth? USAIN BOLT 

He ran 100 metres in 9.58 seconds in Berlin in 2009.

However, it is believed that an Indian by the name of Srinivas Gouda may well smash this record in due course. 

Usain Bolt just had another baby added to his family today.  FYI.  He's from Jamaica if that gets me any extra credit.

• Like 1

Iolani Palace Trivia

Only palace in United States.

First property to get electric lights.

Home of King Kalakaua

His sister, Queen Liliuokalani, was imprisoned in a room.  She was brought food and gifts wrapped in newspaper...that is how her loyal natives kept her informed. 

There was one stair case going up to the family quarters.  Unfortunately, there was no "privacy" for the residents who slept in different bedrooms....if they chose to cross over to the other side.

Fast Forward:  When Hawaii became a state, the legislature took over the Palace.  My brother was a State Representative then.  The new capitol was built and everyone moved over.  He was a Senator by then.

Restoration began on the Palace, they found hidden walls, beautiful scrolling ceilings, etc that were covered up.  LOTS of damage.  They found a scrap of the throne room rug and recreated the entire rug.  Piece by piece were returned to the Palace.  Much is stored in the archival basement or at the Bishop Museum.

A must see movie:  Princess Kauilani

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185344/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Formal Night, the end to a perfect day….

After the show we just have time to pop outside on the Promenade deck to take a final look at the sea, just before the sun sets.

D4DAE9AC-3DCE-405D-A67E-84E3D9118CDD.thumb.jpeg.a1e5f9c352af3734d94fab5f2ca41858.jpeg

EE0A2968-F994-4D91-B4F4-04C28A5276CB.thumb.jpeg.48b011dc612262ecab47b318998782b7.jpeg

3D46B9FA-147E-466C-93FE-1E35364FB8C3.thumb.jpeg.8b17172e9ab16375620e728d522c5498.jpeg

7696478F-D905-4E1A-A464-7386F1E55E96.thumb.jpeg.abf3a0cf9d8d7eaba7e7341e0183173f.jpeg

Then it’s down to the dining room for dinner, and best of all, a Chocolate Journey dessert as it’s Formal Night …..yes, I can see you all salivating - and tonight it’s my favourite! 

90D23C75-52F8-4E5D-AA13-CA6489D5FA97.thumb.jpeg.4b9c0502f816026e6dc2da44dcec500a.jpeg

How beautiful the table looks. I love the way Princess still has flowers on the table. And there is plenty of butter, too! 

9EFBBF21-1AA5-4CAC-A7C6-F52E49FE9D46.thumb.jpeg.9c5bada91119a2bcb4cb536f4fe29e60.jpeg

Now this is DH’s starter. Yes, it’s pretty underwhelming. As far as we can tell it’s a slice of pineapple surrounded by dollops of something. And yes, it tastes as underwhelming as it looks. 

C86AB971-6876-4AED-ABA4-89E3C860D8FA.thumb.jpeg.9cd11d4bd5a35d68dde605140eb74d04.jpeg

Now this is DH’s entree. Glad it wasn’t mine! 🤣

Now this was right up my street…. And it was as delicious as it looks!

CC130F31-B9E1-4CD3-A831-924F15BCBE63.thumb.jpeg.63b1abbde385c65506baf032564474ca.jpeg

And the piece de la resistance? 

28DDAF0A-AC9E-42B1-9FD9-90C82EA77767.thumb.jpeg.a035db9583c94d0fdf81775f22f05200.jpeg

How could I possibly resist the Chocolate Hazelnut Bar with Citrus Cream? Mouth watering………

EBE12ED8-2EDC-4E40-B150-949D8B3516C6.thumb.jpeg.246f3c53760b4c8c872a9c7f7e734592.jpeg

DH chooses the Sugar Free Buttermilk Crepes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling. He says it is delicious, but nothing could compare with my dessert. I’m almost tempted to be an absolute pig and ask for another, but I restrain myself. 

48D6488C-6F77-401F-A69E-5E086ADE4AEE.thumb.jpeg.0304dea50205bcb5b2d40f456a14cb61.jpeg

We make a hasty departure from the dining room, forgoing our coffee (DH) and my pot of tea, and dash up to the Explorer’s Lounge to see the Marriage Match Gameshow, one of our favourites. You need to get there early to ensure you have a seat and we get one with a great view. As usual it is really funny and we enjoy it immensely. Perhaps one day we might even be persuaded to audition! Maybe when we get to 50 years of marriage (not too long to wait!).

Although there is still plenty going on with Voice of the Ocean Final Auditions, Jazz, Music and Dancing, Best of the 60’s and 70’s, Tommy McPhee in Crooners, and the Disc Jockey in Skywalkers, we are tired, and after a final cup of decaffeinated tea in the buffet we wend our weary way back to our cabin. 

Night night, sleep tight, see you in the morning! 

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Usain Bolt just had another baby added to his family today.  FYI.  He's from Jamaica if that gets me any extra credit.

He did, AF-1 

Actually it was twins, called of course, Thunder Bolt (what else could he be?) and Saint Leo Bolt. They join his little daughter, Olympia Lightning. 

I guess they still have time to produce Lightning Bolt. 

And of course you will get extra credit and a twin mini Tardis will be winging its way to you so both you and your wife can revisit your favourite cruises! 😉

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Have I seen the palace?  I was stationed in Hawaii for five years.  Anytime a family member visited me; I would take them downtown Honolulu to the palace, 5-0 Headquarters, and Bishops Museum. Then we head up to the Punchbowl.  From there we go up the Pali Highway and thru tunnel towards the northeast shore.  That was just one day of fun.  Just got back from Hawaii with the family.  We spent the entire time on Waikiki Beach.  We sailed on Catamaran, snorkeled and went to Japanese Temple.  Fun times.  

Oh no, I am so envious! How fantastic to be able to visit Hawaii. What a wonderful time you must have had. I don’t suppose you have a photo of the palace for us poor cruising adventurers stuck at home?

Here in the UK we are in the middle of yet another spell of cold, miserable, rainy and windy weather. It’s June, and we have had the heating on again! 

Heaven knows what it will be like on our cruise to nowhere. I am beginning to panic at the thought of spending time in the English Channel and the Irish Sea, both of which can be treacherous. But my overwhelming desire to try cruising again made me forget my common sense. 🤢🤮

• Like 1

I am salivating just looking at the delicious Chocolate Journeys dessert.  That and the pistachio dome are my favorites!

We have done the Princess British Isles cruise.  Didn't know the English Channel and Irish Sea can be treacherous.  We did not have any rough seas.  Went in May (2015).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Iolani Palace Trivia

Only palace in United States.

First property to get electric lights.

Home of King Kalakaua

His sister, Queen Liliuokalani, was imprisoned in a room.  She was brought food and gifts wrapped in newspaper...that is how her loyal natives kept her informed. 

There was one stair case going up to the family quarters.  Unfortunately, there was no "privacy" for the residents who slept in different bedrooms....if they chose to cross over to the other side.

Fast Forward:  When Hawaii became a state, the legislature took over the Palace.  My brother was a State Representative then.  The new capitol was built and everyone moved over.  He was a Senator by then.

Restoration began on the Palace, they found hidden walls, beautiful scrolling ceilings, etc that were covered up.  LOTS of damage.  They found a scrap of the throne room rug and recreated the entire rug.  Piece by piece were returned to the Palace.  Much is stored in the archival basement or at the Bishop Museum.

A must see movie:  Princess Kauilani

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185344/

Wonderful information, as always. Thank you cr8tiv1. Lots more reasons for us to cruise to Hawaii again one day. 

How wonderful that the palace has been restored. Would love to see it one day. 

9 hours ago, dickinson said:

I am salivating just looking at the delicious Chocolate Journeys dessert.  That and the pistachio dome are my favorites!

We have done the Princess British Isles cruise.  Didn't know the English Channel and Irish Sea can be treacherous.  We did not have any rough seas.  Went in May (2015).

Yes, I’m afraid chocolate is my downfall. They are such beautiful desserts bearing in mind the huge number of dishes they have to prepare each night. Very talented pastry chefs. 

Glad you didn’t experienced rough weather on your British Isles cruise. We used to cross the Irish Sea to visit relatives in Dublin, and oh boy could it be rocky! 

I guess people are surprised that the Channel can be treacherous, but we experienced a force 11 gale as we sailed round the Isle of Wight on a cruise to the Mediterranean one Easter. The ship struggled against the stormy seas and then hit more bad weather across the Bay of Biscay (which can actually be as calm as a millpond if you are lucky). We ended up missing our day in Gibraltar as it took so long to get there due to the weather.

But luckily the return journey was fine, and calm. You just never can tell! 😉

But we’ve got everything crossed for August. The weather here is so bad at the moment that we just hope summer will eventually arrive by August.

8 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Here are a couple of photos of the outside of the Iolani Palace.

B48471A3730F4893A2C041B4E8C354B5.jpg.ffdfa8c0217a4f485c21b46aa1afa34e.jpg

52ADAC93C4114D3794A273D41CB9F1C7.jpg.d7859d4153047230b28e453bcc68df10.jpg

When I visited you were not allowed to take photos inside the palace so this is a photo of a postcard I bought of the State Dining Room. 

IMG_20210622_121837.thumb.jpg.a65828e33e96c385a47e49d9753e116a.jpg

Thank you so much Purple Traveller for posting those wonderful photos. It looks a stunning building. We would love to visit it one day. 

• Like 1

Thursday April 18th At Sea

We are sailing across the Pacific on a north easterly heading en route to Ensenada, Mexico.

There is a northeasterly wind at 15 knots and it’s going to be partly cloudy today with a temperature of between 20 -22 C, 69-71F.

As I draw back the curtains I see that the ocean is fairly calm and although it is cloudy, it’s a bright start to the day.

A11A8C07-C5AF-4102-BC22-47F756889BB8.thumb.jpeg.b5cee1a0a3f967e9a19cc840330c3cc3.jpeg

I am delighted to see that Captain Speaking has cleaned our window! 

We wash and dress and take a leisurely walk down to the dining room for breakfast. We are shown to a table for 2 and sit back and relax. There is no rush this morning. Our daily meet up with our trivia mates is not until 10.30 so we can take our time.

We start with oatmeal, but the huge bowls defeat us both. DH orders scrambled eggs whilst I indulge in bacon and eggs. Then it’s a fruit plate to follow and a lovely pot of tea.

Now I am sure I must be boring you to tears with our repeated trivia sessions, but after breakfast we take a walk round the deck and then join our lovely team for a natter and a chance to expand our knowledge.

Now if you are not a trivia addict there is plenty to do, including Speed Soduko, Zumba Express, a Free Stretch and Release Class in the Aerobics Studio, Line Dancing, and a Goofy Golf Putting Challenge. There is also a Morning Movie - ‘Johnny English Strikes Again.’

At 10.00 am Dr Michael Tribe presents an Enrichment Lecture on ‘Los Angeles, 1932,’ whilst there is Hawaiian Ribbon Lei Making in the Conference Room on Deck 6. This clashes with a Champagne Ring Toss Challenge and Spanish at Sea for Beginners.

Whilst we are busy giving our brains a workout I’m afraid that I miss the Tighten and Contour Your Skin with Thermage, as well as the Secrets to a Flatter Stomach. But there is some good news as apparently “sit ups and crunches only make your stomach bigger” so I am decidedly thankful that I have never done these, although I do sit up in bed when DH brings me a cup of tea in the morning, and I certainly do love to crunch some biscuits (cookies)……..

In the Piazza there is a Pasta Party with the Maitre’D and the Executive Chef demonstrating how to cook pasta. There is also an Enrichment Lecture with Mark Harris on ‘Oceanography and Climate Change.’

I wonder what you will choose?

So let’s give your brains a workout, with a few of this morning’s trivia questions:

1.   What 1953 film did Frank Sinatra star in which was based in Hawaii?

2,   Men take part in a Decathlon. What do women compete in?

3.   What problem did Leonardo da Vinci and Winston Churchill suffer from?

4.  What is Horology?

5.  Who invented celluloid?

6.  Where would you have seen the Blue Meanies?

7.  What is the largest capital city in Africa?

8.  What is the name of the 18th century opera house in Milan?

Now of course, the lucky winners will receive a newly updated, mini Tardis, so I hope you will try your luck with these questions, and if all fails, ask Mr Google! 😉

Edited by ellie1145

2 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Thursday April 18th At Sea

We are sailing across the Pacific on a north easterly heading en route to Ensenada, Mexico.

There is a northeasterly wind at 15 knots and it’s going to be partly cloudy today with a temperature of between 20 -22 C, 69-71F.

As I draw back the curtains I see that the ocean is fairly calm and although it is cloudy, it’s a bright start to the day.

A11A8C07-C5AF-4102-BC22-47F756889BB8.thumb.jpeg.b5cee1a0a3f967e9a19cc840330c3cc3.jpeg

I am delighted to see that Captain Speaking has cleaned our window! 

We wash and dress and take a leisurely walk down to the dining room for breakfast. We are shown to a table for 2 and sit back and relax. There is no rush this morning. Our daily meet up with our trivia mates is not until 10.30 so we can take our time.

We start with oatmeal, but the huge bowls defeat us both. DH orders scrambled eggs whilst I indulge in bacon and eggs. Then it’s a fruit plate to follow and a lovely pot of tea.

Now I am sure I must be boring you to tears with our repeated trivia sessions, but after breakfast we take a walk round the deck and then join our lovely team for a natter and a chance to expand our knowledge.

Now if you are not a trivia addict there is plenty to do, including Speed Soduko, Zumba Express, a Free Stretch and Release Class in the Aerobics Studio, Line Dancing, and a Goofy Golf Putting Challenge. There is also a Morning Movie - ‘Johnny English Strikes Again.’

At 10.00 am Dr Michael Tribe presents an Enrichment Lecture on ‘Los Angeles, 1932,’ whilst there is Hawaiian Ribbon Lei Making in the Conference Room on Deck 6. This clashes with a Champagne Ring Toss Challenge and Spanish at Sea for Beginners.

Whilst we are busy giving our brains a workout I’m afraid that I miss the Tighten and Contour Your Skin with Thermage, as well as the Secrets to a Flatter Stomach. But there is some good news as apparently “sit ups and crunches only make your stomach bigger” so I am decidedly thankful that I have never done these, although I do sit up in bed when DH brings me a cup of tea in the morning, and I certainly do love to crunch some biscuits (cookies)……..

In the Piazza there is a Pasta Party with the Maitre’D and the Executive Chef demonstrating how to cook pasta. There is also an Enrichment Lecture with Mark Harris on ‘Oceanography and Climate Change.’

I wonder what you will choose?

So let’s give your brains a workout, with a few of this morning’s trivia questions:

1.   What 1953 film did Frank Sinatra star in which was based in Hawaii?

2,   Men take part in a Decathlon. What do women compete in?

3.   What problem did Leonardo da Vinci and Winston Churchill suffer from?

4.  What is Horology?

5.  Who invented celluloid?

6.  Where would you have seen the Blue Meanies?

7.  What is the largest capital city in Africa?

8.  What is the name of the 18th century opera house in Milan?

Now of course, the lucky winners will receive a newly updated, mini Tardis, so I hope you will try your luck with these questions, and if all fails, ask Mr Google! 😉

I have NEVER done something like this, but I just had to respond.  

1).. From Here to Eternity.   I'm not sure why I knew this but it had one heck of a cast (though I think my parents were more familiar with them.  The answer just about jumped off the page for me.

This has been a great thread and helps me keep positive for our Feb Hawaii cruise.  Thanks so much!

Joe

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2021 at 1:41 AM, Redwing55 said:

I have NEVER done something like this, but I just had to respond.  

1).. From Here to Eternity.   I'm not sure why I knew this but it had one heck of a cast (though I think my parents were more familiar with them.  The answer just about jumped off the page for me.

This has been a great thread and helps me keep positive for our Feb Hawaii cruise.  Thanks so much!

Joe

Hi Joe

Thank you so much for posting. Welcome to the virtual cruise, and great to have you taking part in our trivia. 

You are, indeed, correct. It was that movie that featured that iconic beach scene with Burt Reynolds and Deborah Kerr (all rolling waves and violins! 😉)

Your upgraded, mini Tardis will be winging its way to you momentarily. 

I’m so glad you are enjoying this thread and I really hope that your February cruise takes place. We have everything crossed for next year. 🤞

• Thanks 1