Success getting 'extra' furniture for balcony?

msmayor

Strongly considering booking on Nieuw Statendam, stateroom 4154...the balcony is huge, but I've read that only the standard chair/footrest and small table are available.  Has anyone had success requesting loungers and/or a larger table for that space?  I'll happily reward my steward if they can arrange it....

Edited by msmayor

We had that cabin on the Koningsdam a few years ago.  At that time we didn't have any luck getting extra seats, but we didn't push the issue either. As I recall there were a lot of problems with crew on that cruise, so you may have better luck.

On subsequent cruises we've had a lot of success in getting extra furniture/changing to loungers for other ships/cabins.  It all depends on the crew and how eager they are to please.  

The OP has the right attitude :).  Treat your steward right and that steward/stewardness might return the favor.  But keep in mind that cruise ships do not necessarily have all kinds of extra furniture in storage so your ability to get something depends on availability and the willingness of your steward.   We also cannot fathom (a great nautical term) what impact COVID will have on special requests.  The cruise lines are going to implement new cleaning protocols which could (I emphasize "could") make it impossible to get extra furniture,  Moving furniture might involve all kinds of cleaning and sanitizing procedures that are so onerous as to make the requests unreasonable.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

The OP has the right attitude :).  Treat your steward right and that steward/stewardness might return the favor.  But keep in mind that cruise ships do not necessarily have all kinds of extra furniture in storage so your ability to get something depends on availability and the willingness of your steward.   We also cannot fathom (a great nautical term) what impact COVID will have on special requests.  The cruise lines are going to implement new cleaning protocols which could (I emphasize "could") make it impossible to get extra furniture,  Moving furniture might involve all kinds of cleaning and sanitizing procedures that are so onerous as to make the requests unreasonable.

Hank

My husband and I definitely try to keep things simple for our stateroom attendants...they work so hard (as does everyone on the ship) and we're always appreciative of any kindness they are able to extend.

The cruise we're looking at is spring 2022, so really hoping that they have this whole COVID thing figured out.  

Thank you to everyone who responded.  I think we'll still try for that stateroom - just having all that space will feel great and, if anything, give us more airflow with the walls further apart in the warm Caribbean

• Like 1