Cruisers Who Love to RV & RVers Who Love to Cruise

MamaFej

Well hi there! Great topic! We just bought our first RV a year ago as the isolation was getting to be too much… (like a lot of us!) Our young adult son is extremely vulnerable, but we are used to doing a lot of travel when it’s not cold/flu season, so we needed something we could use to play, and still keep him safe.  Even before we picked up our Redhawk (class c, 2020) we had traveled to 45 states. Now to hit them again with The Armadillo (that’s what he named it 😉).  Hubby is out with it this weekend as he was attempting an ultra run in the mountains, much nicer than his usual tent to sleep in afterwards!   We have talked about spending the summer in Alaska with it in a couple of years, hubby works from home and can work anywhere, so he could work there, and with a car the boy and I can do some exploring… (he loves wildlife , critters of all kinds, and we fell in love with the interior on the one week land tour on our cruise/land tour a few years ago… need more time!!).  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dieselmama said:

We have talked about spending the summer in Alaska with it in a couple of years, hubby works from home and can work anywhere, so he could work there, and with a car the boy and I can do some exploring… (he loves wildlife , critters of all kinds, and we fell in love with the interior on the one week land tour on our cruise/land tour a few years ago… need more time!!).  

I've had the opportunity to RV around Alaska twice: we flew up and joined my parents in their RV in 1998, and we drove ourselves in 2010. We spent three weeks getting from SoCal to AK, three weeks bopping around AK, and three weeks driving home. It was magnificent. I can recommend driving the AlCan slowly. There are so many frost heaves, and you don't see them, but you and your rig definitely feel them! We came down via Top of the World Highway, which was much better. It's about 150(?) miles of dirt road, but well-maintained dirt road, without frost heaves. We encountered them again, one we rejoined the AlCan, but it was really nice to have that long stretch of smooth road. Crossing on the ferry at Dawson's Creek was a really cool experience.

I imagine it has imporved in ten years, but Internet coverage was spotty or non-existant in many RV parks, so your hubby will want to confirm that he'd have reliable internet with good speed before trying to work. 

Thanks for joining our little group here.

Regarding the naming of RVs, we finally settled on a name for our Tiffin RED 340. RED stands for Rear Engine Diesel. Her name is Lucille, for two reasons. RED reminds of of Lucille Ball, of course. All, when your home is on wheels, it can always be a "fine time to leave."

The tow car, which gets dragged along on all our crazy adventures is Ethyl. 

• Like 1

We got in a couple short trips this spring and as we were preparing for a 2000 mile mile trip down the Oregon and California coasts our RV electrical system decided to die.  Not easy to get anyone to work on it these days.  We have a mobile mechanic scheduled for tomorrow.    

25 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

We got in a couple short trips this spring and as we were preparing for a 2000 mile mile trip down the Oregon and California coasts our RV electrical system decided to die.  Not easy to get anyone to work on it these days.  We have a mobile mechanic scheduled for tomorrow.    

Oh, dear! I hope your mobile tech gets you up and running without too much more time and expense. There are some fantastic mobile techs out there! We've heard of lots of people who dropped their coaches off for work to be done, and not gotten them back for 2-4 months! I'm glad you found someone who will come to you. 

You've probably been told this, but make sure you are running your generator and getting your engine running at least once a month when you are not actively using your rig. Do a 360 degree inspection, flush your toilet, run a bit of water down each sink, check your holding tank valves and seals, and turn on your heater and AC for a few minutes each. Exercise all the moving parts, essentially. Make sure your tires are protected from the sun. Disuse leads to cracked seals, rot, and other problems down the line. Preventative maintenance is your friend. 

Edited to add: I am in NO WAY implying that the electrical system failure is your fault! Stuff wears down over time, even in the best-maintained rigs. I was only trying to be helpful, as I know you are less experienced in RV life than some folks. 

Edited by MamaFej

10 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I imagine it has imporved in ten years, but Internet coverage was spotty or non-existant in many RV parks, so your hubby will want to confirm that he'd have reliable internet with good speed before trying to work.

We figured when we are ready for the trip (if not sooner!) we we would get ourselves some kind of satellite internet to keep us going. When we travel now we often end up using our phones as hot spots as needed, but that has the potential to be a bit pricey if we do that too often! He uses a satellite GPS for his ultra runs so I can keep track of him and he can send brief messages now, seems to work nicely when he is out in “no internet or cell phone available” country so hopefully he can find some kind of satellite system that would work to keep him in touch for work too.  

ideally we will rent a car up there rather than tow, but we have a couple of years to figure it all out. Who knows, by then maybe we will have a vehicle that can be towed and be up to towing! For now if we need a second vehicle we drive separately. We live in Idaho, so it’s a little closer for us to drive to Alaska than for some! LOL! We will have to have our son and I fly home once a month for a couple of days to “check in” in order to maintain his insurance coverage (medicaid). He can’t remain out of state more than 30 days at a time without losing it.  Frustrating, but there is now way just 2 weeks is enough times to fully explore with a week drive each way! 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I am sitting in my truck camper reading about cruising. We averaged 2-3 cruises a year before Covid. The campgrounds closest to us shut down the first year but then figured out that being outdoors is a great way to prevent spread. We have taken two cruises since it opened back up and I am in my camper this week planning my fist European cruise.

94440C28-7AC9-4FE6-8372-BBEA813207C5.jpeg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
22 minutes ago, Crashe said:

Wish some ports had oversized parking for class c’s.  Would love traveling in RV to cruise port….

You might look into RV storage lots. We considered one this year, but other factors intervened. We are now considering one in Connecticut for about a month of cruising which would end in Boston (we would fly out of Boston to Iceland, and eventually sail back to Boston). 

• 1 month later...

Not sure if the pic will upload, but this is My Happy Place.  Although it is a permanent site, my family has had this spot for 25 years.  As others have said, I started out in a "pop-up" camper, traveling to different campgrounds, unbeknownst to me, that this was all we could afford.  We very slowly graduated to a travel trailer of 20" and some years later, again to a little larger one.  It clearly was/is the HAPPIEST TIME OF MY LIFE.  This is the current trailer that I purchased in 2019.  I am at Camp when I am not on a cruise!!

My Happy Place.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2020 at 6:26 PM, MamaFej said:

I've found myself and others going off topic in multiple threads and talking about RVing, especially since we can't cruise now, and RVing is a great way to still travel while being safely distant from others. 

I wasn't sure where to put this thread, and landed on this 55+ forum, as it feels most appropriate, with so many RVers and full-time RVers in that age range. I'm not a member yet, but PapaFej is. If the mods feel there is a better place for this, I have no objection to it being moved.

Anyway, I hope that this can be a place where those of us who love both cruising and RVing can have friendly conversations.

I LOVE doing both ... Grew up camping in a 24' bumper pull and my ex-husb and I had a 45' Voltage Toy Hauler that we lived in traveling from his work project to project for 5 years. 

My first cruise was when I was 19 years old ... Boston to Bermuda on the original Carnival Mardi Gras.   I was hooked from day 1. 

• Like 2

I think I'm in cruise withdrawal!

As I have walked around RV parks lately, I've really been noticing how many names of  makes and models of RVs remind me of cruising. 

Sometimes, they call to mind names of ships like Reflection, Oasis, and Pursuit. Sometimes it's names of dining rooms or lounges  like Symphony (which I think is a ship, too), Rendezvous, or Windjammer. Sometimes it's names of places we've cruised to or visited (or have booked to visit) on trips that include cruising like Tuscany, Outback, or Sahara. 

Yup. I'm in withdrawal. 

Good thing we will soon leave on an 82 day trip with 57 nights of cruising! We have 125 nights of cruising and lots more RVing planned this year. Retirement is a good thing!

• Like 2

We were camped along Rincon Beach in Ventura County, CA last week. 

Anacapa Island reminded me of the silhouette of a cruise ship. 

Time to get back onboard!

1235889335_Anacapa.thumb.png.700a064db44d1b9aaf8b04160aacb009.png

Edited by MamaFej
photo problem
  • Like 2

We are a family of 5 plus one spoiled Dachshund named Zion (one of our favorite National Parks). We bought our first ever travel trailer in February 2021. It’s a Keystone Passport 221bh. Small but mighty. With our kids in school and hubby and I working FT  we camp on weekends and do some long weekend, or couple week trips in the summer. We live near St. Paul, MN so our camping season is basically late April to early October (if we are lucky). Since we’ve had our RV, we’ve been to 12 different states and one Canadian province.

Someday when the kids are grown up, moved out and we can retire, we dream of a 5th wheel and RVing FT.

This is “Dolly”. Our first long trip was to Pigeon Forge, TN. She’s not big or fancy, but she’s our second home. Pic taken at Myrtle Beach KOA in 2021.

375EC1F2-64AC-4398-8895-4B4841333D96.jpeg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

So true. More memories less “stuff.”

I've always said that our kids have had more experiences than things. 

They are 20, 23, and 27 now, and all very grateful for the experiences we gave them. 

We still occassionally travel with them, most recently in 2021 to celebrate our 30th anniversary, one college, and one HS graduation. We are hoping for anohter big family trip in 2025 to celebrate a 60th birthday, a 30th birthday, 2 Masters degrees, and a bachelor's. Because they are all so genuinely appreciative, Mom and Dad heavily subsidize the kids' travel costs. If they weren't, we wouldn't. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been camping since I was 15 months old. We called camping back there, as most of the places we stayed at, no power, water or sewer. Today, it is Boondocking. When I retired, I gave my self a retirement present of a cruise to the Med. I was hooked on cruising.

So, I was going to cruise one year and the next cruise with the RV. Well, it did not work out that way. So now I do both. I have completed many upgrades, over the years and have no plans on buying a newer model. So, I will be rolling this one until the tires fly off.

Believe it or not, my rig is 17 years old this year. I will be rolling on a 2-month journey after I get back from my cruise.IMG_0167.thumb.jpg.cfdbbdd9d8f24a0a4fd4dcb0ce771021.jpg

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We knew we wouldn't be using it much when the pandemic wound down.  So we ended up selling our little travel trailer when things opened back up.  We miss it from time to time, but I just don't like having something like this if I won't be using it a lot.  And, I already have a boat I use on fresh water lakes when we aren't otherwise traveling.  Just one too many toys I guess.  Haha. 

Trtr.thumb.jpeg.583bf17bb5a3f9c44b201c3a8ce544fe.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2023 at 7:28 PM, ldubs said:

We knew we wouldn't be using it much when the pandemic wound down.  So we ended up selling our little travel trailer when things opened back up.  We miss it from time to time, but I just don't like having something like this if I won't be using it a lot.  And, I already have a boat I use on fresh water lakes when we aren't otherwise traveling.  Just one too many toys I guess.  Haha. 

Trtr.thumb.jpeg.583bf17bb5a3f9c44b201c3a8ce544fe.jpeg

You can always rent if you want to RV once in a while.

I hope yours was purchased by someone who will create wonderful memories in it!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have loved cruising for years. I have a membership at a camping resort in Virginia Beach and keep our Expedition motorhome there all summer. I love being able to just kick back on the water and fishing with family and friends five-minute drive to the oceanfront. I try to cruise once or twice a year and think it would be so much fun to camp at Port Canaveral and then park in the lot and hop on the ship. Camping...Fishlips...then cruising...what more can you ask for.

• Like 1