Global Suspension Notices Log

Xrayal

Hi everyone,

I hope you're doing ok and finding ways to stay positive during this tumultuous year.

Like us all I had two cruises cancelled this year, although made the decision to cancel before the final payment dates.  I have rebooked cruises for 2021 but am concerned about their viability as they're both over 7 days duration.  In Europe we're experiencing a significant second wave of COVID-19 cases and in the UK we've just entered our second period of stay at home orders with non-essential businesses closing for a month.  It currently feels that cruising next year is slipping through our fingers, despite positive news about vaccinations being announced yesterday. 

To try and make some sense of the decisions that CLIA and Celebrity are making I've put together a simple log of the Global Suspension Notices.  I've been frustrated that CLIA have issued updates to notices but with no long term plan disclosed.  I understand there's commercial sensitivities and the industry is not generating revenue at the moment but it isn't supportive for those of us who plan in the longer term.

The log is here Global Suspension Notice Log.xlsx I hope you might find it interesting or useful.

I'm studying for an MBA at University, constructive feedback on how I've presented the data would also be appreciated.

Here's to a more prosperous 2021...

Is this a school project? Just curious...

An ambitious effort but  the log is not anything I would use for updates.. Not a  spreadsheet fan...

Maybe CC would want to use it as a sticky if others  do find it useful.??

When I tried to open your link, it says IOS Office is only suitable for iPhone and I am using an iPad. 
BTW my grandson is a Project Manager for a company in UK who are investigating a vaccine. He seems to think that we will be ‘back to normal’ second half of 2021.

While I would like the vaccine sooner, I realise that I will have to wait until it is available on my health needs and not for cruising.

5 hours ago, upwarduk said:

When I tried to open your link, it says IOS Office is only suitable for iPhone and I am using an iPad. 
BTW my grandson is a Project Manager for a company in UK who are investigating a vaccine. He seems to think that we will be ‘back to normal’ second half of 2021.

While I would like the vaccine sooner, I realise that I will have to wait until it is available on my health needs and not for cruising.

That timeline seems too ambitious. The vaccine is a 2 shot process with 21 days in between shots. The logistics to vaccinate the global population until basic covid avoidance measures are no longer needed will last well into next Summer and Fall. So in my mind back to normal would not occur until January, 2022.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Xrayal said:

The log is here Global Suspension Notice Log.xlsx I hope you might find it interesting or useful.

Hi Xrayal,

Thank-you for taking the time to capture cruise suspensions. I think it’s an excellent idea.

This said, I am not sure about the process and the use of an Excel Spreadsheet to ensure that the data is always updated.

For example, in your spreadsheet, it is indicated for Canada, a cruise suspension until Dec 31, 2020. However, on October 30, the Canadian Government announced cruise suspension until Feb. 28, 2021. (Note: This is not very critical taking in consideration our Canadian winter, however, it shows that the new spreadsheet is already, at least, partially outdated.

So, although the intent to provide cruisers a one stop shop to get information regarding cruise suspension is excellent; If the validity of the data cannot be guaranteed, my concern is that the spreadsheet could end up adding confusion rather than helping cruisers making factual and timely decisions which may end up having significant financial ramifications.

For your consideration! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I’m using an ipad and it opened without asking for a password.

On my MacBook Pro in Safari, Microsoft keeps asking me to sign in to view the document. When I tried Chrome, it opened without difficulty.

9 hours ago, Xrayal said:

To try and make some sense of the decisions that CLIA and Celebrity are making I've put together a simple log of the Global Suspension Notices.  I've been frustrated that CLIA have issued updates to notices but with no long term plan disclosed.

OP, it's a well designed spreadsheet, but quite honestly, I fail to understand its utility. Your concern seems to be over the lack of a long term plan from the CLIA, but I don't see how the spreadsheet helps to resolve the issue.