First ship of the season arrives at Lyttelton's new cruise berth

I checked the Port of Lyttleton webcams and could not see the ship until I enlarged the screen and spotted her .Forgot shewas so small .However the cam gives us an idea of what we will see when the big cruise ships return .One point of interest, you can see the new road access to the ship which will keep passengers and containers separate.

332D55D9-2604-4B80-8C20-48B8E6D4AD08.thumb.jpeg.ce6986184a8c34e637c2bb435e5bb705.jpeg

Thanks David for the photos.

Not as scenic on one side of the harbour as Akaroa but as least cruise passengers have a much faster run into Christchurch.

I haven't done a tour to Christchurch so looking foward to this reopened port.

22 minutes ago, sewgood said:

Thanks David for the photos.

Not as scenic on one side of the harbour as Akaroa but as least cruise passengers have a much faster run into Christchurch.

I haven't done a tour to Christchurch so looking foward to this reopened port.

Christchurch should be an exciting port of call now as you will be able to see the rebuild taking place .as a new ,modern and vibrant city emerges .

That is the Russian expedition ship someone on here from NZ is going on, is it not?. Kiwis only and sailing only in NZ Waters. I suppose it will hopefully be a positive start. Good luck to Heritage and other Tour Operators involved.

Edited by NSWP

Just now, NSWP said:

That is the Russian expedition ship someone on here from NZ is going on, is it not. Kiwis only and sailing only in NZ Waters. I suppose it is a start.

Yes.  However, they plan to cruise further than NZ Waters later on.  The company has been cruising from NZ for years on that Russian ship. 

The vessel is called Spirit of Enderby & is chartered by Heritage Expeditions with a Russian crew.

One of 10 Polar research ships built for Russia in Finland from 1982.  One has been scrapped but the other 9 are in various rolls including one with the Swedish Navy.

They have ice strengthened hulls & a Russian ice certificate but no Polar Code rating.

HMS Trosso  Swedish Navy.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Thank you, David, for the interesting newspaper article on the official opening of the new cruise terminal.  $67 million is a big investment. It will be wonderful when cruise ships once again visit Lyttelton.