Princess cancels all cruises through March 2021. Will RCG do the same?

13 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Demographics for Princess and HAL are completely different and their customers are not chomping at the bit to resume sailing like those on the mainstream cruise lines

Princess and HAL are mainstream even though they do cater to an older demographic they are still lumped with the other mainstream cruiselines.   There is still a fair amount of crossover between Princess and HAL and the other cruiselines in terms of passengers. The mainstream US cruiselines are HAL, Princess, Carnival, RCL, X, NCL,CCL, And  Disney.  

18 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Princess and HAL are mainstream even though they do cater to an older demographic they are still lumped with the other mainstream cruiselines.   There is still a fair amount of crossover between Princess and HAL and the other cruiselines in terms of passengers. The mainstream US cruiselines are HAL, Princess, Carnival, RCL, X, NCL,CCL, And  Disney.  

Perhaps mainstream wasn’t the correct choice of words.  Mass Market would have been a better way to describe the grouping of Royal, NCL and Carnival whose Clint base is a much larger spread of demographics than Princess and Hal.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Perhaps mainstream wasn’t the correct choice of words.  Mass Market would have been a better way to describe the grouping of Royal, NCL and Carnival whose Clint base is a much larger spread of demographics than Princess and Hal.

I guess it depends on your opinion of mass market. While they are more niche than CCL, NCL, and RCL, they still cater to very similar demographics in many cases.  Especially in the off season.  HAL and Princess definitely aren’t into the 3-4 day market, but their 7 day Caribbean cruises 7 day Alaskans can garner a reasonable amount of families.  Anecdotally, one of my friends had booked his first cruise for his family of 5, which was a 7 day princess Caribbean cruise for last April despite me telling them that they would be better off with RCL,NCL, or CCL as they have young kids (as do we).  Both Princess and HAL have kids clubs, main dining rooms, buffets, main theaters, etc.

Prior to the early 2000s and the boom of the mega ships, Princess, HAL, X, RCL, CCL, NCL, Disney (I had been in all those cruiselines except HAL and Disney prior to 1999) were all very similar, with X and HAL maybe having an edge in service and food at the time and CCL being a little lagging in some areas.  NCL,RCL and Princess were nearly identical in service and food and amenities.  It wasn’t till really the mega ships (which all started with RCL in 1998 with the Voyager followed by the Grand Princess) that each cruiseline started to have their own “identity” And market to specific niches. Although, HAL and Princess always marketed to an older crowd primarily through itineraries.

Ultimately, we are arguing semantics and what is defined as “mass market” and “mainstream.”  

To me the economic demographic And general onboard amenities of pretty much any line I listed above is very similar.  It’s not until you start looking at silver seas, crystal, seaborne, and expeditions that you will see a notable shift in the economic demographics of the pax on a ship.

Edited by rimmit