New vaccine

hollyjess

8 hours ago, Bazrat said:Talking from experience the flu jab system works extremely well or at least in my area, it is the general public that lets it down

Totally agree flu jab system works well, we usually get a message in early September from GP explaining process and where we are in the queue. This year more of a challenge had patients coming in front door and leaving from emergency door at back of one of 3 surgery’s they run. For 6 weeks that surgery effectively became flu jab central for most patients. 

We know the practice manager quite well and she said take up had been higher than normal this year, caused a few logistical issues with getting vaccine in at right time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I am in the 65s and over group and would like to think that we will get it before  May when we have cruise booked but I won't be holding my breathe.  

Of course, having the vaccine only means that you will not suffer symptoms. So even if you have the vaccine, that in itself means nothing as far as transmission of the virus is concerned.  

Personally, I can't see any May cruise, as scheduled,  going ahead.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Of course, having the vaccine only means that you will not suffer symptoms. So even if you have the vaccine, that in itself means nothing as far as transmission of the virus is concerned.  

Now that it seems we will be issued with a free NHS vaccination record card cruise lines could insist on proof of vaccination for all passengers. Then all dates could change.

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You keep saying this, but that's not actually what's been said. They just don't know yet. From the scientists that I've seen talking about it, they've said they'll be very surprised if it doesn't have some effect on the transmission of the virus. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Now that it seems we will be issued with a free NHS vaccination record card cruise lines could insist on proof of vaccination for all passengers. Then all dates could change.

I'm still not sure what good any card will do. Yes, it shows you have been vaccinated,  but it doesn't show that you can't transmit the disease to those that haven't been vaccinated.

So, you only let vaccinated people on board,  including the crew. CV19 will still be prevalent, so no one can go ashore unless in a bubble. Doesn't seem like much fun.

2 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

They just don't know yet.

Which is my point. Vaccines protect the individual, but at present we don't know if transmission will be curtailed, which is why I think it unrealistic to think that cruising around Europe in the first half of 2021 is feasible.

Just now, wowzz said:

Which is my point. Vaccines protect the individual, but at present we don't know if transmission will be curtailed, which is why I think it unrealistic to think that cruising around Europe in the first half of 2021 is feasible.

Maybe it's best to say that it's unclear rather try and make people believe that there's evidence that the vaccine doesn't stop transmission. At this critical point, misinformation will only slow done the vaccination process. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm still not sure what good any card will do. Yes, it shows you have been vaccinated,  but it doesn't show that you can't transmit the disease to those that haven't been vaccinated.

So, you only let vaccinated people on board,  including the crew. CV19 will still be prevalent, so no one can go ashore unless in a bubble. Doesn't seem like much fun.

If all on the cruise are vaccinated you can't pass it on, or have I missed the whole purpose of vaccinating folk. As for going ashore , who knows what restrictions will be in place at ports of call in a few months. I kind of give up on any positive news, or developments being met with....Ah, but what if. The what if is that we don't know. 2 weeks to the med with 5/6 ports?.If that means 5/6 P&O organised excursions, that'll do. Not Ideal, but I could always stay home and go nowhere. Good news I think. If others don't think that, their choice.

1 minute ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Maybe it's best to say that it's unclear rather try and make people believe that there's evidence that the vaccine doesn't stop transmission. At this critical point, misinformation will only slow done the vaccination process. 

I am in no way anti-vaxxing.  Everyone should have the vaccine. But, at present no one can say if transmission will be reduced by mass vaccination, and it is disingenuous to pretend otherwise. 

The worst case scenario is that we will all get an annual CV19 jab along with our normal flu jab. No problem with that, but I still don't see holidays abroad happening soon.

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If all on the cruise are vaccinated you can't pass it on, or have I missed the whole purpose of vaccinating folk.

Yes, you can pass it on. The vaccine just protects the individual that has been inoculated. 

Transmission from vaccinated individuals is yet to be determined. 

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I am in no way anti-vaxxing.  Everyone should have the vaccine. But, at present no one can say if transmission will be reduced by mass vaccination, and it is disingenuous to pretend otherwise. 

The worst case scenario is that we will all get an annual CV19 jab along with our normal flu jab. No problem with that, but I still don't see holidays abroad happening soon.

Exactly, no one can say either way. But I've seen numerous posts from you stating that it doesn't stop transmission. But we don't know that yet. 

• Like 2

Just now, wowzz said:

Yes, you can pass it on. The vaccine just protects the individual that has been inoculated. 

Sorry , but that is the point. If everyone is vaccinated on a ship they are all protected. You may not be antivax, but sure do a good impression.😁

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sorry , but that is the point. If everyone is vaccinated on a ship they are all protected. You may not be antivax, but sure do a good impression.😁

Yes, they are protected, but can still give CV19 to those that are not vaccinated  - so no going off the ship.

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Which is exactly what I said. 

You said "yes, you can pass it on" when talking about vaccinated people. That is the bit that we don't know. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

You said "yes, you can pass it on" when talking about vaccinated people. That is the bit that we don't know. 

Ah but if we did know, we could make up something else. I think we need to accept that it may be just us in the cruise.,🤣

• Haha 1

OK - just to settle things down.

Vaccination is a good thing, and everyone that can, should be vaccinated. 

If you are vaccinated,  you will still get CV19,  but will not get ill.

If you are vaccinated, no one knows at the moment if you will pass on the disease if you have it.

So, yes, a cruise where every one is vaccinated will be fine.

However, will countries that have not fully vaccinated their population allow cruise passengers ashore?

Is that a fair summation of the current situation?  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

If you are vaccinated, no one knows at the moment if you will pass on the disease if you have it.

However, will countries that have not fully vaccinated their population allow cruise passengers ashore?

As I understand it , yes.  Not forgetting the crew as well.  Sadly, I think its likely that poorer countries will allow cruises in as they will be so desperate for the income. I don't think its likely any country will have a totally vaccinated population.

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Seems a fair summary, on the basis of the knowledge we have now, though that assumes a vaccine efficacy of 100%, which is not quite in line with current results.

It may well be that vaccination will prevent transmission, which would be excellent news, but until we know that I can't imagine countries that haven't achieved herd immunity via vaccination programmes allowing passengers ashore.  

All a matter of time and money.

41 minutes ago, dorsetlad said:

There is an awful lot of speculation and guesswork on this post, when the truth is that nobody really knows, and it just serves to confuse people. Why not just wait and see. Prepares for incoming.

Because if we all wait and see there will be no need for this thread and it will spoil our fun.😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bobstheboy said:

I am being positive and believe the vaccine will be a major contributor to bringing this disease under control. If it means people vaccinated can't pass it on great, if it doesn't and I am vaccinated, it still gives me 95% protection.

I agree that the vaccine will be a major contributor, vaccinated people can pass on a virus, the best vaccine is mooted to be 95% effective so 5% are still unprotected and can still spread the virus, this will fall over time, typically once vaccinated people or people with natural immunity form the required antibodies they should not be able to transmit the virus to others, this can take several weeks. It also depends how/if the vaccine mutates. People can still move the virus around by touch even if they are vaccinated. There is still along way to go but the sooner more vaccine is approved and we can get it the sooner we get back cruising.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

they should not be able to transmit the virus to others,

That is the sticking point. As yet no one knows with any certainty if a vaccination programme in itself, will stop the transmission of the virus.