Transatlantic in April

lindylooellalouise

It will be flat calm or lumpy; sunny or foggy; wet or dry, after all , it's the Atlantic Ocean.

We've crossed about a dozen times at various times of the year. It is impossible to predict the weather. For example, we've sat outside in beautiful sunshine in November and experienced storms in spring.

However, you will be on QM2 where the outside weather is of no consequence. You won't know what the weather is doing unless you look out the window. You certainly won't feel it.

1 hour ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi all we are booked on the QM transatlantic round trip on  19th April departing from Southampton what is the general opinion about whether this will be going ahead or not ?

I think they seem hopeful at the UK end that they might have got a lot of the target population vaccinated by then, suppressing the virus, which means cruises should be starting up. Much harder to know about NY though, isn't it?

Edited by exlondoner
Misspelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi all we are booked on the QM transatlantic round trip on  19th April departing from Southampton what is the general opinion about whether this will be going ahead or not ?

It depends how quick the vaccines roll through. I suspect the identical trip in 2022 will go ahead without any problems but this year the timeline might be a bit too tight. And also the travel ban has not been lifted yet.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I think they seem hopeful at the UK end that they might have got a lot of the target population vaccinated by then, suppressing the virus, which means cruises should be starting up. Much harder to know about NY though, isn't it?

A fair point but what you have failed to consider is the crew for the ship. That will be the big problem. Most of them come from countries who may struggle to vaccinate quickly. And also the travel ban has not been lifted yet and there is no suggestion as to when it may happen or if will happen for all countries.

Edited by ace2542

28 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

A fair point but what you have failed to consider is the crew for the ship. That will be the big problem. Most of them come from countries who may struggle to vaccinate quickly. And also the travel ban has not been lifted yet and there is no suggestion as to when it may happen or if will happen for all countries.

What travel ban? There are many requirements about quarantine and self-isolation. And advice against various forms of travel like cruising. But I didn't think UK citizens were actually banned from travel abroad.

As to the crew, they are of course essential, and would have to obey whatever quarantine rules there may be on arrival in the U.K. But few of them are in a high risk age group at any rate.

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

What travel ban? There are many requirements about quarantine and self-isolation. And advice against various forms of travel like cruising. But I didn't think UK citizens were actually banned from travel abroad.

As to the crew, they are of course essential, and would have to obey whatever quarantine rules there may be on arrival in the U.K. But few of them are in a high risk age group at any rate.

My understanding is there is a travel restriction in place in England until 2 December. Whilst there are permitted exceptions, going on holiday is not one of them. See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus#:~:text=Print this page-,COVID-19 travel guidance,rules that apply to you.

Edited by North West Newbie

I suspect the real problem will be in New York, especially given the historic insistence on all passengers disembarking and then reboarding.  Once one sets foot on US soil, then it is not clear to me what will happen; but it probably won't be good.  Currently the CDC restrictions on cruises make no reference to transit passengers.  I am sure Cunard (and Carnival) are trying to resolve this, but, right now, I'd say that is a considerable obstacle.  The odds are probably against the voyage taking place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, North West Newbie said:

My understanding is there is a travel restriction in place in England until 2 December. Whilst there are permitted exceptions, going on holiday is not one of them. See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus#:~:text=Print this page-,COVID-19 travel guidance,rules that apply to you.

But if it's being (probably) lifted on Dec 2nd, how can it possibly be relevant to,a cruise in April??  Of course some of the quarantine rules may well still be in place.

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But if it's being (probably) lifted on Dec 2nd, how can it possibly be relevant to,a cruise in April??  Of course some of the quarantine rules may well still be in place.

I was responding to your ‘belief’ that “.... you [I] didn’t think UK citizens were actually banned from travel abroadwhich, in England, we presently are save for a limited number of legally permitted reasons.

There will have to be some substantial benchmark of improvement for sailings to take place in April.  One could be a rapid and widespread distribution of vaccine;  another, less likely, would be a spontaneous waning of infections.   At this point, with infections on the upturn in the US (and possibly in the UK as well), and the winter predicted to be a time of continued risk - the real decision for an April sailing is likely to be made some time around February/March -  which does not leave much time.

Unless things really start looking better in February ....

Just now, North West Newbie said:

I was responding to your ‘belief’ that “.... you [I] didn’t think UK citizens were actually banned from travel abroadwhich, in England, we presently are save for a limited number of legally permitted reasons.

Yes, I see, though the exceptions seem very wide ranging. I suppose my point was that, other than under lockdown, which shouldn't be in operation in April, there is not a ban as such, just a tremendous amount of tediousness. And the signs are that that should be reduced by April in the U.K., if we are lucky. 😀

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

This .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2020/11/25/us-traveltrump-possibly-at-the-point-of-revoking-eu-travel-ban/?sh=32a8ac015a9b

It might be being lifted really soon. It has been in place since at least March. Though whether this will happen and whether Biden reinstates it until the vaccine gets into the general population.

We're on the April 26th sailing from NY to Soton.  I haven't cancelled yet but penalties begin around Christmas so I have to decide by then.  

If I were sure we were going I would be putting the final touches on our European vacation and making hotel reservations and I haven't started either job.  April might be just a little too early to restart things given the unknown rollout schedule for the vaccines.

We have to remember when we see all these huge vaccine dosage numbers that everyone needs two doses so when you see that 20 million doses may be available by the end of the year, that means 10 million people.  It sounds like a lot but it's really just a drop in the bucket.

5 minutes ago, Cruise NH said:

We're on the April 26th sailing from NY to Soton.  I haven't cancelled yet but penalties begin around Christmas so I have to decide by then.  

If I were sure we were going I would be putting the final touches on our European vacation and making hotel reservations and I haven't started either job.  April might be just a little too early to restart things given the unknown rollout schedule for the vaccines.

We have to remember when we see all these huge vaccine dosage numbers that everyone needs two doses so when you see that 20 million doses may be available by the end of the year, that means 10 million people.  It sounds like a lot but it's really just a drop in the bucket.

But surely if Cunard cancels it for you, you will be ok and won't get any penalties? Ours is November so we have some time yet, till about August.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

But surely if Cunard cancels it for you, you will be ok and won't get any penalties? Ours is November so we have some time yet, till about August.

Your correct of course, we could wait until they cancel but that might not be for awhile. Our plan was to spend about a month traveling around Europe.  I would hate to go through all that planning and making all those reservations only to have our hopes dashed at the last minute.  

My husband and I are in the vaccine trial and have had the 1st shot but we may have got the placebo so we're not counting on being truly 'vaccinated' before anyone else.

Also for planning purposes people should remember that it takes 6 weeks ( 4 wks after 1st shot until 2nd one and then 2 weeks for full antibodies) before immunity kicks in, that's a lot of time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

Your correct of course, we could wait until they cancel but that might not be for awhile. Our plan was to spend about a month traveling around Europe.  I would hate to go through all that planning and making all those reservations only to have our hopes dashed at the last minute.  

My husband and I are in the vaccine trial and have had the 1st shot but we may have got the placebo so we're not counting on being truly 'vaccinated' before anyone else.

Also for planning purposes people should remember that it takes 6 weeks ( 4 wks after 1st shot until 2nd one and then 2 weeks for full antibodies) before immunity kicks in, that's a lot of time.

Which vaccine?  Will they tell you whether you got the placebo (just curious) 

I'd hang onto the cruise until /if Cunard cancels.  Don't book anything else until a few weeks out -  unless its fully refundable. 

8 hours ago, lissie said:

Which vaccine?  Will they tell you whether you got the placebo (just curious) 

I'd hang onto the cruise until /if Cunard cancels.  Don't book anything else until a few weeks out -  unless its fully refundable. 

It's Astra Zeneca and yeah we know about their recent 'reporting' issues.  They have to straighten that out but the important thing to us is that it appears safe and hopefully effective...

This is a double-blind study but if another vaccine is approved and you are in line to get it they will 'unblind' the results at your request so that you know.  Further, if their vaccine is approved and you got the placebo they will let you know and offer you the vaccine assuming supplies are available.

• Like 3

On 11/25/2020 at 3:07 AM, lindylooellalouise said:

lindylooellalouise,

Thank you for posting. We are on the May 21st Crossing and share you same concern. Please keep us posted on whether your cruise goes forward, requirements to board and restrictions once onboard. This is a VERY fluid situation with the pandemic. Good luck, we remain optimistic.

Jack

As I mentioned earlier, my son and his partner/wife to be, are due to be on the 19 April '21 round trip crossings. They were supposed to have been married in May this year and we had booked a Fjords cruise for them. Obviously, both the wedding and cruise were cancelled.

We would be really disappointed if they were forced to delay again. Both work in the care industry so, hopefully, will be in one of the first batches of those being vaccinated.

Our usual winter cruise to the Canaries was also cancelled, so we are hoping to be aboard QE (again) on 18 May '20. This is a wee extra one as we're booked for Canaries 1 November '21.

We're all really needing our Cunard fix, so here's hoping.

Stewart

8 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

As I mentioned earlier, my son and his partner/wife to be, are due to be on the 19 April '21 round trip crossings. They were supposed to have been married in May this year and we had booked a Fjords cruise for them. Obviously, both the wedding and cruise were cancelled.

We would be really disappointed if they were forced to delay again. Both work in the care industry so, hopefully, will be in one of the first batches of those being vaccinated.

Our usual winter cruise to the Canaries was also cancelled, so we are hoping to be aboard QE (again) on 18 May '20. This is a wee extra one as we're booked for Canaries 1 November '21.

Stewart

According to what is on the RCL page. The CDC have stopped b2b sailings till Nov 1st 21 apparently. You can't get straight back onboard a ship. It still seems a bit sketchy with the details. And yes with the Astra news it will probably be cancelled by Cunard from either end.

44 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

lindylooellalouise,

Thank you for posting. We are on the May 21st Crossing and share you same concern. Please keep us posted on whether your cruise goes forward, requirements to board and restrictions once onboard. This is a VERY fluid situation with the pandemic. Good luck, we remain optimistic.

Jack

Will do we have everything  crossed this will be our first cruise in 2021 our January and  March  cruises  both cancelled likewise  if you get any info please  pass it on 

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

Stewart

Hi Bigmac so disappointing for your son and partner fingers crossed all will be ok for 2021 we are so missing our Cunard cruises last one for us was pre Christmas 2019 on QV which was fabulous as usual never been disappointed on Cunard our favourite ship is QE and cabin 8178 we love been in QG and aft staterooms the best, hopefully our QM transatlantic will go ahead can’t wait to be back onboard.