Canada - Greenland cruise

zahav1

9 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Greenland is a former colony of Denmark and prior to that Norway.  It is still under the protection of Denmark and as such the currency is the Danish Krone (DKK).  

Do they accept US dollars? Is there any shopping in the three ports that I would need DKK's? Thanks for sharing the information.

47 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Do they accept US dollars? Is there any shopping in the three ports that I would need DKK's? Thanks for sharing the information.

I have not been to Greenland yet but will be going in 2022 when the cruise restarts.  We were suppose to be on the cruise last August but the pandemic killed it.  From what I have read about the three ports is that they are very small and any shopping is severely limited. Maybe someone else can comment on whether they accept USD.  

6 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

Perhaps foolish question - but we love MUTS and have only cruised summer or warm water (Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii) - Does MUTS still play on cold arctic nights?  I would get bundled up to watch a good flick.

Yes. And Princess supplies blankets to help you keep warm.

21 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I have not been to Greenland yet but will be going in 2022 when the cruise restarts.  We were suppose to be on the cruise last August but the pandemic killed it.  From what I have read about the three ports is that they are very small and any shopping is severely limited. Maybe someone else can comment on whether they accept USD.  

I'm rebooked on the August 15 2022 cruise too. It sounds like there's nothing to buy so maybe I'll not get any DKK's. I can always use a credit card if necessary.  I saw we are both on the roll call. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

• 1 year later...
31 minutes ago, worldtraveller said:

Pompeii, do you recall if Princess offered a shuttle from the port into town?  From what I understand the ship docks in an industrial part of Nuuk so wondering what the options were to get into town if you didn't want to walk the 30-45 minutes?

I dug this out from the paperwork I kept from the cruise.  IIRC, the boat operator we used in Nuuk was close to where we docked so we didn't need to walk into town.  And afterward at our request, he dropped us off in town so we walked around then made our way back to the ship. I don't remember how long the walk was, pretty sure it was less than a half hour.

Regarding currency, we didn't get DKK and just used USD.  Businesses all took plastic and we used dollars for the things we purchased from local people.  I'm sure we overpaid a little but no big deal.  I remember walking by the bank in Nuuk to get some DKK but it was closed or something so I didn't worry about it. 

image.thumb.png.b06dc5778effe3c5df68446a3f95317d.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 10:17 PM, cruzsnooze said:

I'm rebooked on the August 15 2022 cruise too. It sounds like there's nothing to buy so maybe I'll not get any DKK's. I can always use a credit card if necessary.  I saw we are both on the roll call. 

Where's the roll call?  We are also on this sailing and I couldn't find one and started one myself.

Although we are long time Princess cruisers (been Elite for decades) our worst Princess experience happened when we dared to take a Caribbean Princess cruise that included 3 Greenland Ports.  DW and I had previously been to Greenland (twice) on relatively small ships (less than 1500 Passenger) and enjoyed our visits.  But two of those Greenland ports are tender ports with awful tender docking facilities (one port could only handle one boat at a time).  It took over 5 hours to get most folks ashore (many on our ship gave up and never got ashore) at Nanatalik.  That port only had room for a single tender and they used that same pier to launch boats for some local water tours.  Some cruisers found themselves bobbing in the bay for 1 1/2 hours waiting their turn to dock while others waited 4-5 hours on the ship.  DW and I were able to get ashore since we had tender priority and went ashore on one of the first tenders.

My only advice to anyone going to those ports on Princess is get a very start and get to the proper lounge very early.  My next best advice is visit Greenland on a much smaller ship such as with Oceania, Seabourn, etc.  

I would also rate the Caribbean Princess as my least favorite cruise ship.  When they enlarged the original Grand Class design (i.e. Caribbean Princess) they simply increased the passenger capacity by 500 persons (added another passenger deck)  without enlarging many of the public spaces.  If the CP is anywhere near capacity, getting into the Production Shows can be an awful experience (either arrive 40 min early or get an awful or no seat).  Consider that the CP carries about 500 more passengers then the original Grand Class design and they need to cram those folks into the same public spaces as the slightly smaller cousins.

Hank

Hank

Hank

Hank

On 2/7/2022 at 7:29 AM, worldtraveller said:

Pompeii, do you recall if Princess offered a shuttle from the port into town?  From what I understand the ship docks in an industrial part of Nuuk so wondering what the options were to get into town if you didn't want to walk the 30-45 minutes?

I was reading details on the brewery excursion and it said something like ... after the tour, short walk to the center of town where you can stay or take the shuttle back to the ship...

I'm counting on the shuttle too