more cancellations from Windstar, is O next?

susiesan

This message was just sent yesterday to people booked on Windstar cruises. it is not updated on their web site yet.

Today, we are making another tough decision to further cancel our cruises due to rising COVID cases around the world. I know you will be disappointed, and we are too, but our spirits are buoyed by the good news on the vaccine front and the possibilities it opens up for worldwide travel again. We are now canceling all cruises in March and April and into May, depending on the itinerary. Our first yacht to set sail will be the newly transformed Star Legend on May 1 out of Athens on the new 10-day Greece, Israel and Egypt: Footsteps of Faith in the Holy Lands cruise.

Regarding Europe cruises for the spring, is Oceania going to be the next to start cancelling their Europe cruises? Windstar has also cancelled all of their 2021 Alaska cruises due to the longer than 7 day itineraries. I suspect O will do the same.

I believe that FDR spoke of a seven to nine month window before cruising would regularly restart. That was late last month. I would guess that any cruises anywhere in the world on Oceania before next August is highly suspect of being cancelled. According to one of his direct comments on Alaska, it is doubtful any of the Alaska cruises will sail. 

Here’s a question for the OP. If, all workers must be vaccinated, what is the time frame for young healthy Filipino cabin stewards and Indian Butlers to be vaccinated? Will they be vaccinated by established priorities in their individual home countries? If the ships aren’t sailing in US waters, I doubt the US will give up tight supplies for them. 

Black market supplies for the cruise lines so to return to sailing?

4 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Here’s a question for the OP. If, all workers must be vaccinated, what is the time frame for young healthy Filipino cabin stewards and Indian Butlers to be vaccinated? Will they be vaccinated by established priorities in their individual home countries? If the ships aren’t sailing in US waters, I doubt the US will give up tight supplies for them. 

Black market supplies for the cruise lines so to return to sailing?

My guess is the CEO's of major cruise lines will somehow find a way to get their hands on vaccines for their crews and staff so they can resume operations.  Unlike in the US where we would never use a foreign made vaccine, they will turn to the Chinese made vaccines for their Asian employees. I suspect the Chinese have already manufactured far more doses than they are letting on to the rest of the world.

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

When will I get mine?  Eventually, I hope.

I too wonder about the same thing. I know they have defined the priority of categories (health care workers. Nursing homes, etc) but if there is no place to sign up how would they know to call me? What if I am over 65 and have 3 co-morbidities with that - who at CVS or Walgreen’s would know that?

It seems like the first 2 categories are easy - just vaccinate all hospital health providers and nursing home residents/employees. What about after that?

Who is going to call me that it’s my turn?

It seems like in the UK they sent out individual notifications (from their NH data base?)

Edited by Paulchili

We operated the Berlin Airlift 70 years ago.

We put  man on the moon 50 years ago.

I know this is probably the  largest global logistical challenge we have faced in many decades, but surely it can be managed with some sense of order.

Spare a thought for countries with less developed logistical structures in place, and further down on a vaccine delivery schedule.

That is what is going to put pause to significant travel next year.

Good practise for Covid-29 though.

Edited by Tranquility Base

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I too wonder about the same thing. I know they have defined the priority of categories (health care workers. Nursing homes, etc) but if there is no place to sign up how would they know to call me? What if I am over 65 and have 3 co-morbidities with that - who at CVS or Walgreen’s would know that?

It seems like the first 2 categories are easy - just vaccinate all hospital health providers and nursing home residents/employees. What about after that?

Who is going to call me that it’s my turn?

It seems like in the UK they sent out individual notifications (from their NH data base?)

Here is a quote from an article in the local news today. The person (Williams) they are referring to and quoting is our state health director. Read the last paragraph, I'm sure that's going to work out well. 

Once health care and long-term care facilities are vaccinated, the next phase includes those at high risk of getting very sick if they’re infected, including people over 65 and those with chronic conditions like heart disease.

Emergency responders, teachers, agriculture workers, truckers and others deemed part of “critical infrastructure” will also be next in line, followed by others at increased risk such as homeless people and prison inmates.

Groups disproportionately affected by the disease, such as Black citizens, will also be given priority in that second phase.

After that, the vaccines will be offered to anyone who wants one.

Throughout each phase, there won’t be an approved list of people who are eligible to receive them. Williams said it will be an “honor system” where folks identify themselves as a part of each group and receive the immunization from their provider.

25 minutes ago, ORV said:

Williams said it will be an “honor system” where folks identify themselves as a part of each group and receive the immunization from their provider.

Pardon my pessimism but good luck with that 😀