Holiday Inn- Port of Miami Downtown

IMKTDQT810

I have been reading up on different hotels and I haven't seen this one really mentioned. It states they offer a shuttle to the port for $6 per person. I'm guessing we can take a taxi for the ride over from the airport to the hotel. It also looks like a quick walk across Biscayne Blvd would give us something to do the day we arrive. I have never been to Miami so was just wondering. Thanks!  

Very popular with cruisers, some rooms offer a view of the port.  As you mentioned, shopping and dining options within walking distance.  A taxi from there to the port used to be under $10 for the cab, so not sure I would want to pay more to share a hotel van.  Taxi from MIA to the hotel will run about $30+ or you can use Uber or Lyft for about $20.  

Several other hotels nearby (intercontinental, Doubletree, Marriott, etc.), as well as Hampton Inn and others in the Mary Brickell area - very popular with cruisers for the multitude of local dining and shopping options.  Good luck with your search. 😎

• Thanks 1

We loved this hotel for a quick stay before our cruise. Easily walkable to the mall across the street. We grabbed muffins at the Starbucks for a quick breakfast the night before and took them back to our room. It was perfect for us. We had dinner the night before there and walked around a bit too. It was fun. I would 100% book there again. As far as cruise transportation, we didn’t plan that and we were able to easily grab a taxi outside of the hotel the morning of our cruise for an extremely short trip and drop off right at the terminal. 
We flew into FLL and used SAS airport transportation shuttle service that dropped us off right at the hotel. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kelkel2 said:

We loved this hotel for a quick stay before our cruise. Easily walkable to the mall across the street. We grabbed muffins at the Starbucks for a quick breakfast the night before and took them back to our room. It was perfect for us. We had dinner the night before there and walked around a bit too. It was fun. I would 100% book there again. As far as cruise transportation, we didn’t plan that and we were able to easily grab a taxi outside of the hotel the morning of our cruise for an extremely short trip and drop off right at the terminal. 
We flew into FLL and used SAS airport transportation shuttle service that dropped us off right at the hotel. 

Just curious, how much was the SAS airport shuttle from FLL to the hotel. And did you do a cruiseline transfer afterwards to get back to FLL? I think it will depend on the flight difference from home to MIA vs. FLL when the time comes to decide. But no matter what want to stay in the Miami area so we are "there" the next day! Thanks!

31 minutes ago, IMKTDQT810 said:

Just curious, how much was the SAS airport shuttle from FLL to the hotel. And did you do a cruiseline transfer afterwards to get back to FLL? I think it will depend on the flight difference from home to MIA vs. FLL when the time comes to decide. But no matter what want to stay in the Miami area so we are "there" the next day! Thanks!

I can’t remember cost, but it was very reasonable IMO. We did SAS on the way back too, they’re so incredibly organized and timely! I would use them every single time we cruised out of Miami.

If you fly into FLL, which for us is almost always cheaper because of southwest airlines, you have to get to Miami own way or another. None of the hotels in Miami are going to shuttle you from FLL, so that leaves you with a taxi or Uber/Lyft . You could certainly use those options too, but Incan guarantee they’ll cost you more. We had SAS booked and our flight was delayed and right after landing they noticed our plane had arrived and they called with directions on where to go and how to find them! 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

This hotel used to be really popular with cruisers however, since the building has been sold and set to be demo'd, the hotel isn't being taken care of.

Honestly I'd pick another hotel.

Good to know - thanks! 😉

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the comments, suggestions and information. After much more research on ships and ports I have decided to book the Magic out of Norfolk, but still glad I able able to ask and post about this location since it looks like it benefited others as well. 

Have a Happy Holiday!  

On 12/21/2020 at 10:10 AM, IMKTDQT810 said:

After much more research on ships and ports I have decided to book the Magic out of Norfolk,

I think you will enjoy sailing from Norfolk.  You will sail by Naval Base Norfolk and through the Bay-Bridge Tunnel complex to the Atlantic as well as other scenic sites around Cape Henry.  Try to plan some time to experience some of the other highlights that the Tidewater area offers:  Williamsburg, Jamestown, excellent seafood, She-Crab Soup, the General Douglas MacArthur Museum, and the ambiance of Virginia Beach.  It's a great tourist friendly area.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We just stayed here a couple weeks ago (for the second time). The location is great and there is a lot to do/eat at Bayside Market across the street. The beds are very comfy...the only downside of this past trip was the traffic on Biscayne BLVD the night we stayed...We heard all of it...especially the motorcycles revving their engines at al hours of the night....I still loved the hotel...and we were given an upgrade to a suite upon arrival which was nice.....

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, imola said:

Can you please share which hotel you are referring to  Thank you

This thread is focused on the Holiday Inn very close to POM - it is located across the street from Bayside Markek.

On 12/20/2020 at 4:11 PM, BlueHerons said:

This hotel used to be really popular with cruisers however, since the building has been sold and set to be demo'd, the hotel isn't being taken care of.

Honestly I'd pick another hotel.

I was wondering when the Holiday Inn was going to meet its demise.  I would never stay there myself just because of where it is but people from out of town don't know the area.  I wonder if the 'Vitas' building on 2nd Ave & Biscayne Blvd, across from the Intercontinental Hotel, is still set for demolition.  I used to work there.  There were plans for a 95 story condo/office complex but that got stalled because of push back from FAA on flight interferences from MIA.