How far would you drive for "day of" cruise?

bigrednole

Embarkation Day, that's what I happen to call it Embarkation Day 😎, the MOST stress that I've ever had and will experience is how I'm getting all my luggage from my hotel room to the ship without spilling my wonderful glass of Chardonnay. 

Stress I left that back at my condo 5 days earlier. 

On 12/22/2020 at 10:47 AM, bigrednole said:

I know people should not fly in on the day of their cruise. We are also not sure of flight availability and prices that far out. If our Port Everglades cruise is canceled, which I suspect it will, we will most likely have a Saturday cruise out of Port Canaveral as a replacement. We may have to drive down for it. In order to do that, we would make it down about 6 hours on Friday leaving 3 hours on Saturday morning. Most likely we will be in the Jacksonville area and on the road no later than 5AM but probably closer to 3AM. We would be in PC area very early which we can grab a bite or hit Ron Jon's. 

Just trying to gauge what people have done or managed?

This is nothing more (or less) than misguided amateur hour, a VERY crummy way to spend Embarkation morning, and a horrible way to start a cruise. 

If I had to do whatever this individual has to accomplish on Embarkation Day to get on the ship, I'd stay home and watch reruns of the Love Boat.🙄

On 1/20/2021 at 7:56 PM, LizzieB86 said:

Once I nearly missed a cruise flying in the same day.  Soooooo...now I make sure to stay overnight in the hotel closest to the port, so I can walk if need be! Call me paranoid!!

Paranoid?? No, no, no don't short yourself we call that learning and getting it right.😉

My opinion is that for some people, being able to get off work or the price of plane tickets a day ahead make it unrealistic. Some people have to save up money for 2 years or more to take family on a trip. Those trips have to come with some drawbacks like driving for 12-16 hours, interior cabins vs balcony, etc. Everyone doesn't have the same means or capabilities as others. Personally, driving I-95 early morning has never been an issue. I am not talking 7-8AM, I am talking 2-4AM. I wouldn't have a problem leaving from say Savannah GA at 3AM to get to Port Canaveral. 95% of that trip would be almost no one on the road. You'd be through Jacksonville by 5AM before any traffic whatsoever. Then a quick trot down I95 another 2 hours.

Do what is right for your family and understand the risks involved. Some people here are telling you extremes. You could even go so far as saying if you were staying at a PC hotel, a meteor could hit the hotel and you wouldn't be able to get to the port in time. I know people that drive from Orlando area to Port of Miami the morning of their cruise without any issues. They have never missed one and they have done it for 20 years. I know someone that lived near FLL that missed their cruise from Port Everglades. You have to weigh what you are willing to accept as a risk. I think driving the morning of a few hours is no issue if you are use to driving at that hour. 

I am glad that you have all the time in the world to allow for such timing to cruise. Some people have families and can only get so much time off. In my case, I can only take 5 days off work at a time and it has to be approved 2 months in advance. The cruises I try to find are Sunday to Sunday so I can fly in on Saturday. I can sympathize with people that can't and have to take a Saturday cruise. They are stuck with either very expensive Friday flights that may be cost prohibitive for a family. 

If you look at cruising from a myopic view of everyone having the resources of time, money, and schedule, it is easy. I would love to fly into a port area a week before a cruise, have a long pre-cruise vacation, and then return home a few days after the cruise. It is just not feasible for parents with school aged kids. 

Agree or disagree TTEllis, but the fact is people's situations are not as generous as your own. And if your opinion is that they should not cruise or vacation, then you can keep that opinion for yourself. I know far too many people that have the limited resources to vacation and cut the corners where they can to make it happen. It may not be your style, but it is theirs. They can assume the level of risks as they see they can.

In all my years of driving I95 when I owned a second home in Fort Lauderdale instead of living here, both day and night, including the middle of the night, I95 has never been a 'quick trot'.  

Not ever.  It's a major artery down the eastern seaboard and it is always busy.

If you've been saving for a cruise for two years, you can save another $75 and spend the night.

Also, starting  cruise after you've been up all night is not the best way to start a cruise.

• Like 2