Frecce Train to Venice on Embarkation Day

HunahpuXbalanque

Does anyone have any experience taking a Frecce train to Venice on embarkation day, and if so what was your experience? 

My husband and I are cruising from Venice on the Norwegian Jade this fall.  I've seen it repeatedly recommended to get to port a day early, but we will be staying in Rome a few days before the cruise.  We originally planned on taking one of the Frecce trains to Venice on embarkation day, but are now wondering if that is risky in terms of missing the boat.  The Frecce trains look reliable, but we would only have 6 hours prior to sail away and 3-4 hours prior to the required time to be on board.  Is that cutting it too close?  

We can certainly get a hotel in Venice the night before embarkation, but we'd much rather have a longer stay in Rome if possible.  I've never cruised before and never been to Italy either, so this is new territory.  Advice and experiences are much appreciated.

In general the Frecce trains are very reliable. But... it is not a short journey from Rome to Venice, and you would have few alternatives should you run into either a strike (rare, but they do occur) or a mechanical issue with your specific train. The latter could potentially be overcome by ensuring there is at least one more train after the one you plan to take that would still get you to Venice before your boarding time. The former, well, I travel often in Italy via train and have never yet been impacted by a strike -- but I still probably wouldn't feel comfortable arriving in Venice on the day of your departure.

Strikes ARE announced in advance, and you can check periodically for them here, if you can read a little Italian and remember that the date is listed first, then the month. 

(Sometimes announced strikes are called off, and rarely, strikes are only announced a few days in advance.)

All things being equal, although I would ALMOST always suggest more time in Rome, I think the stress of doing your travel on the day of your cruise would be high, and you'd be better off arriving in Venice the prior evening. You can take a later train, giving you at least another partial day in Rome, if you wish....

Also agree with Cruisemom.  While unannounced strikes are rare they do happen (it has only happened to us in France) but we have also experienced one scheduled stoppage (in Italy) when a large fire near the tracks shut down an entire line for many hours.   I would not chance a Rome to Venice train transfer on a cruise day.   We might make an exception if we felt comfortable knowing we could catch up to the ship the following day (a test we use in these situations).   I would add that we do enjoy staying in Venice so this would not be a negative for us.  There is much to like about Venice if one avoids the over touristy neighborhoods.  

Hank

Thank you all for your insights and advice.  It sounds like I'd be best off arriving in Venice early.  I love the idea of a half day in Rome and arriving in Venice the evening before embarkation.  Venice looks like a wonderful city as well, but there's a few things on my bucket list in Rome, hence my preference to spend as much time as possible there.  Thank you all for your help!

Venice is magical especially in the evening,  worth it for that reason alone.   We have been impacted by strikes in Italy,  a fire in the Rome airport....so advise always you need a backup.  Just go a day ahead and then you have room to adjust if anything goes sideways.  

• 2 months later...

Another thing to consider is the possibility of a change of embarkation port as the government of Italy and City of Venice plan for restricting cruise ships at Venice to 1,000 GRT.  River cruise size.  Several cruise lines are already using alternate ports to include Ravenna and Trieste.  

Another story out of Italy regarding cruise ships in Venice.

Cruise ships to be kept away from St Mark's Square in Venice | World news | The Guardian

and:

Italy Agrees to Divert Cruise Ships from Venice to Industrial Port (maritime-executive.com)

This particular story does not mention a specific size vessel for the ban.

This story again ignores the logistical problem of moving thousands of passengers between the mainland and Venice.  There is no infrastructure to support such a movement of people and it will be a challenge for both the cruise lines and their passengers.

Hank

On 3/28/2021 at 9:53 AM, HunahpuXbalanque said:

Thank you for the information.  This is an old thread and our particular cruise has already been cancelled, but I'm sure it will be great information for others browsing!

The thread is somewhat timely since many want to cruise in/out of Venice and the situation has been changing over the past few months.  After more then a decade of push and pull it does seem that the large cruise ship ban has actually happened.  DW and I have cruised all over the world (6 continents) and cruising in/out of Venice via the Giudecca Canal is an amazing experience.   Folks need to keep in mind that there will still be cruises on that Canal but it will only happen on smaller vessels.  If they stick with the 100,000 ton limit there will be many options.  If they move the limit down to a lower number there will be fewer options...many of them with the more expensive (and luxurious) luxury lines.  But Venice should be on most folk's bucket list since it is a very unique place and also a lot of fun (especially for those that enjoy walking).

Hank

• Like 2