Problem with HAL customer service.

whogo

7 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

May I say that I think we have all been cruiseless (is that a word?) way too long since some folks seem to have taken the original post a wee bit too seriously!! Going on a year (in four days we'll have arrived at the casa) and frankly, we are going stir crazy right now.

We're all just having some fun with it.... no worries! 😉

Hey that's a cool flashlight!  Were I you I'd call the Mariner Society phone number and see if they can replace it.  If not, perhaps an email to the new HAL president would do the trick.  Keep us posted as to your progress. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

A few weeks ago, I made a birthday cake for DW with a bunch of pillow chocolates that we had collected over the years. Needless to say, the cake was NOT a hit... she hated it. 😕

Should I contact HAL customer service and request FCC, OBC or some other compensation?

You can only request FCC if you partially paid your original base fare using your baking skills. Otherwise, I believe OBC is the correct choice.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, whogo said:

Three views of the item in question:

IMG_1182.thumb.JPG.dc9e7a1b6068644c221327151c70d62e.JPG

I have some good news for you. What you do not realize about Mag-Light is this: there is a spare lamp or bulb which is very delicate, and is stored in the rear butt of the flashlight, where you put in the batteries. it comes with the flashlight, standard mag-light issue. it is underneath the spring that you can see what screws on over the batteries. it is either in a little plastic protective sleeve or i have it seen it in a foam protective layer as well. It is a pin style bulb, and is probably burnt out. check this out. now all you need are some good batteries. good luck. 

p.s. I know that we have all had a bit of fun with this post, and with all due respect, this is not a problem with HAL customer service. I learned the hard way that the title of a post can indelibly follow you. a better title would have been 'problem with my free HAL Mini mag light' , LOL

I have about four of these mini mags. they are great. take care and happy cruising.

Edited by tuolumne couple
  • Like 4

Thanks, tuolumne couple. You will never guess what happened when I loosened the butt of the flashlight a quarter turn. The bulb lit up. It is out again, can't get it to relight. Fixing this Mini-Maglite may be beyond my abilities.

When you think things can't get any worse, I just found a second opened container of skim milk in the refrigerator. Somebody opened a second jug before finishing the first. I'm not mentioning any names, but the guilty party knows who she is. If it's not one thing, it's another.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, whogo said:

Thanks, tuolumne couple. You will never guess what happened when I loosened the butt of the flashlight a quarter turn. The bulb lit up. It is out again, can't get it to relight. Fixing this Mini-Maglite may be beyond my abilities.

When you think things can't get any worse, I just found a second opened container of skim milk in the refrigerator. Somebody opened a second jug before finishing the first. I'm not mentioning any names, but the guilty party knows who she is. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Thanks for a thread giving us a much needed laugh!  I’ve been entertained for two days with this......yeah, I know doesn’t take much, right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Personally, I would go to the Maglite website and contact them to see if is still under warranty. Let them know in no uncertain terms you will not take "no" for an answer.

On another note you might consider a game camera in the kitchen.

Keep us posted as to your progress. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2021 at 9:14 AM, JennysUncle said:

Lose the batteries.  You now have an indestructible waterproof HAL pill case.

Do you think the sound of pills rattling around in a flashlight would catch the attention of a customs inspector?

On 1/10/2021 at 12:02 PM, tuolumne couple said:

I have some good news for you. What you do not realize about Mag-Light is this: there is a spare lamp or bulb which is very delicate, and is stored in the rear butt of the flashlight, where you put in the batteries.

My Mini-Maglite does not have a spare in the base. I downloaded two Mini-Maglite manuals, neither matches my model. I did learn how to use the Mini-Maglite in candle mode by putting the front on the back end as a base. I would never buy anything this complicated for myself.

The Mini-Maglite has been operating properly. I called HAL customer service to tell them they could quit working on my Mini-Maglite issue. They acted like they did not know anything about it, should have had a Personal Cruise Consultant bulldog the problem.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 1/10/2021 at 9:14 AM, JennysUncle said:

Lose the batteries.  You now have an indestructible waterproof HAL pill case.

Funny you should mention it, JennysUncle. I used my huge MagLite with 3 D size batteries removed in an attempt to smuggle booze onto a cruise ship. A word to the wise, security is onto the trick. I was called to the naughty room shortly after boarding to explain myself and had to debark a moment to "empty" the MagLite. Less than six ounces, but more Stoli than I enjoyed gulping down neat and lukewarm. Security confiscated the MagLite upon reboarding, considered it a cudgel. Good point, my aged father-in-law gave it to me when he became too infirm to lift the monster.

1620035832_maglite3Dcell.thumb.jpg.68fbcd3ac4d236ec661d772c3b14939c.jpg

Wish I knew about the foam rubber wrapped spare bulb concealed in the butt end earlier, tuolumne couple. Boy, Stoli and foam rubber do not mix, surprised the spare bulb still works.

After reading the instructions that I downloaded, I see that I failed to make monthly inspection of the batteries and failed to lubricate the threads and o-rings twice yearly with petroleum jelly.

MagLite instructions from the horse's mouth:

"Schmieren Sie alle Gewinde und Gummi-O-Ringe zweimal jährlich mit Erdölgelee. Untersuchen Sie die Taschenlampe monatlich und entfernen Sie vorsichtig alle beschädigten Batterien und entfernen Sie alle Korrosionsrückstände."

Live and learn. Don't accept high tech gifts unless instruction manuals are included.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1