Problem with HAL customer service.

whogo

I won a Holland America Mini-Maglite ten or fifteen years ago at trivia, might have used it for 15 minutes. When I took it out recently, it would not light. I tossed the batteries, glad they did not leak, and bought new ones next time I was at the store. The flashlight still did not light up. HAL customer service reps were no help at all, acted like they never heard of a HAL Mini-Maglite. I'm upset that I might have thrown out good batteries. Would a new bulb repair the flashlight? I appreciate any help.

• Haha 1

Yeah, I think Whogo is a real joker! But, I also have a lovely umbrella that I won at Music Trivia on the Prinsendam some18 years ago (or so) and it recently had a broken rib mishap.......and it was really pretty good quality versus whatever, if any triviality they are distributing now. Should I ask for a replacement?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

Yeah, I think Whogo is a real joker! But, I also have a lovely umbrella that I won at Music Trivia on the Prinsendam some18 years ago (or so) and it recently had a broken rib mishap.......and it was really pretty good quality versus whatever, if any triviality they are distributing now. Should I ask for a replacement?

I have always found there umbrellas to be top notch but I would call and demand a replacement 😳😜😎

• Haha 1

No advice on trying a new bulb? The local stores don't carry bulbs for two AAA battery sized Maglites. I assume the bulbs for other battery configurations wouldn't work and at the price the local stores are asking I might as well buy a new flashlight, but I'd still have a nonworking HAL Maglite. It's tough to support local stores when I can buy two of the correct size bulbs online for $7.25. That's twice as many as I need and for all I know the Maglite has a defective switch or something and I'm already out the two batteries that probably had some juice left in them.

"Why did you throw out two batteries that might be good?" you ask. Because I got sick years ago of house members keeping ballpoint pens that don't work and leaving batteries lying around that may or may not be good. I toss out ballpoint pens as soon as they quit working and toss out batteries as soon as they are dead. Don't get me started on bent screws and bolts with bunged up threads.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, whogo said:

No advice on trying a new bulb? The local stores don't carry bulbs for two AAA battery sized Maglites. I assume the bulbs for other battery configurations wouldn't work and at the price the local stores are asking I might as well buy a new flashlight, but I'd still have a nonworking HAL Maglite. It's tough to support local stores when I can buy two of the correct size bulbs online for $7.25. That's twice as many as I need and for all I know the Maglite has a defective switch or something and I'm already out the two batteries that probably had some juice left in them.

"Why did you throw out two batteries that might be good?" you ask. Because I got sick years ago of house members keeping ballpoint pens that don't work and leaving batteries lying around that may or may not be good. I toss out ballpoint pens as soon as they quit working and toss out batteries as soon as they are dead. Don't get me started on bent screws and bolts with bunged up threads.

No disrespect intended , but are you really serious?  It’s just a flashlight that’s 15 years old that you got free, so I’m assuming the jokes on us for responding.  Having a good chuckle over this one......thanks!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

For the umpteenth time in recent days, I received a phone message from "Publisher's Clearing House" that I was a winner of $3.5 million, a 2021 Lincoln (in my choice of colors), and $10,000/week for the rest of my life.  

How many flashlights might I be able to buy with such a fortune?  To bad that I can't forward the phone call to the OP.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, whogo said:

Buy a voltage meter...then you can always make sure batteries are dead before chucking them.

• Like 1

I've gotten umbrellas in my froo-froo drinks, but none of them has been of any use when it started raining.  Has this happened to anyone else or is it just me not using them correctly?  Dang things should come with instructions.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

44 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

Buy a voltage meter...then you can always make sure batteries are dead before chucking them.

Great suggestion, thanks, kevingastreich. Mrs. Whogo's birthday is coming up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

A few weeks ago, I made a birthday cake for DW with a bunch of pillow chocolates that we had collected over the years. Needless to say, the cake was NOT a hit... she hated it. 😕

Should I contact HAL customer service and request FCC, OBC or some other compensation?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

A few weeks ago, I made a birthday cake for DW with a bunch of pillow chocolates that we had collected over the years. Needless to say, the cake was NOT a hit... she hated it. 😕

Should I contact HAL customer service and request FCC, OBC or some other compensation?

You should have taken the wrappers off first. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

May I say that I think we have all been cruiseless (is that a word?) way too long since some folks seem to have taken the original post a wee bit too seriously!! Going on a year (in four days we'll have arrived at the casa) and frankly, we are going stir crazy right now.

• Like 2