PRE-Travel covid testing

Izena

My next scheduled cruise is in April.   I am anticipating need  pre travel negative covid tests to be required.   I am starting to stress out.  
Just checking it appears pre- travel  covid testing  is  pricey.  I have seen prices from $150 - $350.   I’m not sure I want to pay that.

Will also check with cruise line if  test needed if have received vaccine.

• 3 weeks later...

American Queen, competitor of ACL just announced that as of July 1st, ALL passengers and crew must have the Covid vaccine to travel on their ships. No vaccine, no travel. I'm guessing ACL will follow. Does that mean no cruises until July 1st????  Stay tuned..............

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tom47 said:

My TA has notified me that we must have negative Covid tests 4 days prior to our Sept 2021 Columbia river cruise.

Had my second Covid shot today.  Wonder if still have to have the tests.  Have heard various things if you've completed both shots.  It's all a waiting game!

They may eliminate the requirement for a test if you have proof of the Covid vaccination, but I doubt it. Even when vaccinated, you could be a carrier of the virus and still able to infect any non-vaccinated people.. My guess - if ACL requires all passengers and crew to be vaccinated (like AQSC is doing as of July 1st), they will not require a Covid test.

ACL covid protocol as of today states that cruisers that have received the vaccine  will still be required to get pre cruise tests and another test upon boarding.  

my April cruise has been cancelled.  I will wait until next year to cruise.  I am tired of having a cruise cancelled (x3).  I am awaiting info from TA about the travel vouchers.  I’m beginning to lose enthusiasm for cruising.

On 2/13/2021 at 8:42 PM, Izena said:

ACL covid protocol as of today states that cruisers that have received the vaccine  will still be required to get pre cruise tests and another test upon boarding.  

I’m beginning to lose enthusiasm for cruising.

Think I'm rapidly joining that club but still hanging on to hopes for later this year.

• 1 month later...

On CoVid testing, many communities still have sites that will test for free. We are fortunate to live in a suburban community that has a free testing site with 24-48 hour turn around that is just a few blocks from our house.Also we have a Medicare Advantage program that would pay for all CoVid related issues including testing and vaccines. There are also a number of nearby locations that will test for a charge, but it is not a huge cost. More important is the turn around time and the type of test.

Hope everyone is getting vaccinated. Our state has made all adults eligible.  It is in the interest of all of us to have all of us vaccinated. The virus can only continue if it has a safe place to replicate and vaccination can put a stop to that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone actually gotten a PCR test, and how much did it cost?

According to my Medicare Advantage policy, tests are free only if I am symptomatic or have been exposed.  The CVS and Walgreens sites say exactly the same thing.  Otherwise the tests are $129 (Walgreens) or $139 (CVS).  For the two of us, several cruises planned this summer/fall, that gets kind of pricey!

We are scheduled to cruise with ACL on September 29, 2021.  We are getting second shots Thursday.  We hope that with new CDC guidelines, negative test requirement will be waived.

Recent CDC statements have said that people who are vaccinated would not carry enough virus to infect others so as long as you are vaccinated I’m hoping that these tests will be waived.  Would they make vaccinated crew get tested every week?  Just saying...

The ACL website now states that a test 4 days before boarding wil not be required of passengers who can provide evidence of having been fully vaccinated 2 weeks prior to the cruise. This appears under the Preparing for travel and boarding section.

• 1 month later...

Was a pre-boarding COVID-19 test required?  Their web site (https://www.americancruiselines.com/account/covid-19-operating-protocol )

says,

"...But at a minimum will include the requirement for a negative COVID-19 test result. "

and

"Fully vaccinated guests are not required to obtain a COVID-19 test prior to travelling to the ship and will be asked to present proof of the vaccine ..."

???????????????????????????

Sorry, This is a repost.  I posted this to the wrong topic and can't figure out how to cancel...

Frickwg, is your point that these two quotes appear to be contradictory?  I know it looks that way at first.

ACL's initial policy was (1) Mandatory PCR non-rapid test taken by passenger 72 hours before cruise, followed by (2) Rapid-test taken by ACL at the ship prior to boarding.  At that time their wording said something like "...vaccinations are encouraged...but at a minimum TWO negative tests are required."

But now the (much better) policy is (1) vaccinations by passenger are required, and (2) a Rapid-test taken by ACL at the ship prior to boarding is also required.  So they changed the wording that said TWO tests to ONE, as you quoted above.  So basically they eliminated one of the two tests when they added vaccinations to the requirements.

ACL web link to Covid-19 Protocol

https://www.americancruiselines.com/account/covid-19-operating-protocol

I suggest checking the web site or call ACL listed on the Covid Protocol web site.

from the web site

Fully vaccinated guests are not required to obtain a COVID-19 test prior to travelling to the ship and will be asked to present proof of the vaccine (i.e. vaccination card) at time of boarding. A guest is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last recommended dose of vaccine.

Guests who are not fully vaccinated must take a COVID-19 test within 4 days of the start of their cruise package. Only molecular test results (such as a NAAT or PCR test) will be accepted. Guests are asked to submit their test results to American Cruise Lines at healthsafety@americancruiselines.com and present the result at the time of boarding.

Additional requirements may be necessary for testing and vaccination depending on the time period and region traveled. These requirements will be communicated directly to guests. 

For our June 14 Alaskan cruise ACL sent us a survey to check" I plan to be vaccinated" or" I will NOT be vaccinated".  We are vaccinated. Completed in February 2021.

2 hours ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

Frickwg, is your point that these two quotes appear to be contradictory?  I know it looks that way at first.

ACL's initial policy was (1) Mandatory PCR non-rapid test taken by passenger 72 hours before cruise, followed by (2) Rapid-test taken by ACL at the ship prior to boarding.  At that time their wording said something like "...vaccinations are encouraged...but at a minimum TWO negative tests are required."

But now the (much better) policy is (1) vaccinations by passenger are required, and (2) a Rapid-test taken by ACL at the ship prior to boarding is also required.  So they changed the wording that said TWO tests to ONE, as you quoted above.  So basically they eliminated one of the two tests when they added vaccinations to the requirements.

Now I am even more confused.  The protocol website does not say what kind of test?  A "Rapid-test taken by ACL at the ship prior to boarding" would be fine.  But do I need to  take the test myself?  How do I find out which kind of test????  The website says nothing.

1 hour ago, frickwg said:

Now I am even more confused.  The protocol website does not say what kind of test?  A "Rapid-test taken by ACL at the ship prior to boarding" would be fine.  But do I need to  take the test myself?  How do I find out which kind of test????  The website says nothing.

As I understand it:

If you are NOT fully vaccinated, your first test has to be the full-blown PCR test (the kind where the sample gets sent to a lab, and requires a couple of days).  Your second test will be the quickie kind, administered by ACL at the pre-cruise hotel or ship.

If you ARE full vaccinated, there is no PCR test required.  You just get the quickie test when you arrive for your cruise.