Cancel any reason claim experiences?

brookie848

Has anyone ever claimed on a cancel for any reason policy? This isn't a cruise-related trip, but until I can do that again we are planning a land vacation and I'm hoping someone can share their experiences with me...just in case.

We are planning on booking a beach house in September. My husband's job is essential and if the state where the beach house is on our state's no-go list, we will need to cancel the trip even if we are healthy. However, no regular insurance policies cover things like this -- I've already checked.

We live in New York and this state does not allow cancel any reason insurance policies. My parents, who are traveling with us to the beach house, live in Pennsylvania. They are allowed to buy cancel any reason policies. If we have them book the beach house and we end up not going because of Covid restrictions, what kind of information will we need in order to make the claim? Can we just say..."not going!" and get our money back after filling out some basic paperwork?

I know filling out a regular claim is mountains of paperwork, doctor's notes and other official documents that need to be filled out (been there, done that -- twice). How does it work for cancel any reason?

And does anyone know if certain credit cards will offer this type of travel insurance?

Thanks and here's hoping we're back to safe cruising soon!

Hello b8 I trust you understand that CFAR does not refund at 100%, usually capped to a max of 75% of "non-refundable" costs. Which you must submit documentation for.

Paperwork is minimal.

You may want to look into Chase Sapphire CC's.

bon voyage

13 hours ago, brookie848 said:

We live in New York and this state does not allow cancel any reason insurance policies. My parents, who are traveling with us to the beach house, live in Pennsylvania. They are allowed to buy cancel any reason policies. If we have them book the beach house and we end up not going because of Covid restrictions, what kind of information will we need in order to make the claim? Can we just say..."not going!" and get our money back after filling out some basic paperwork?

Now you're talking Insurance Fraud.

I know Bo mentioned 75% but some policies are even less. TravelGuard is only 50% last I checked.

I "think" NY recently (like in the past 6 months) changed their laws about CFAR. I would double check

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Now you're talking Insurance Fraud.

I know Bo mentioned 75% but some policies are even less. TravelGuard is only 50% last I checked.

I "think" NY recently (like in the past 6 months) changed their laws about CFAR. I would double check

How is it insurance fraud if my parents book a vacation they plan on doing?

We've been going to the beach together for decades. Sometimes my husband and I book the condo, other times my parents book. We're just trying to protect ourselves since there is a chance that Covid will still not be under control in September.

I think the OP might want to give a decent travel insurance broker a phone call.   But keep in mind that many so-called CFAR policies  that apply to cruise lines are not actually insurance but simply a waiver sold by the individual cruise lines.  Many cruise lines make it very clear in their language that CFAR is not insurance.   One could start a very interesting thread about the New York Department of Insurance and their many restrictions.  Consider that New York is one of the few States that has not given permission for the sale of GeoBlue travel health policies.  Why?  It is an interesting question but certainly does not serve New Yorkers well.  But one might wonder if it is related to the protection of Empire BC/BS.

Hank

Dealing with all those claims is such a headache. I would rather avoid it and purchase a ticket with a 100% return policy in case of everything. I see no reason of dealing with it right now. In any case, I  hope you manage to deal with it and reach your goals 

18 hours ago, brookie848 said:

Has anyone ever claimed on a cancel for any reason policy? This isn't a cruise-related trip, but until I can do that again we are planning a land vacation and I'm hoping someone can share their experiences with me...just in case.

We are planning on booking a beach house in September. My husband's job is essential and if the state where the beach house is on our state's no-go list, we will need to cancel the trip even if we are healthy. However, no regular insurance policies cover things like this -- I've already checked.

I know filling out a regular claim is mountains of paperwork, doctor's notes and other official documents that need to be filled out (been there, done that -- twice). How does it work for cancel any reason?

And does anyone know if certain credit cards will offer this type of travel insurance?

Thanks and here's hoping we're back to safe cruising soon!

Hi brookie848,

> And does anyone know if certain credit cards will offer this type of travel insurance?

No, they don't offer this.

> How does it work for cancel any reason?

You still have to document what was prepaid and the cancellation penalties, but for the reason, I telll people the best reason is to say ""We changed our mind and cancelled".

> We live in New York and this state does not allow cancel any reason insurance policies. My parents, who are traveling with us to the beach house, live in Pennsylvania. They are allowed to buy cancel any reason policies. If we have them book the beach house and we end up not going because of Covid restrictions...

You're right that New York State does not allow cancel any for reason insurance policies. Back in March Gov. Cuomo said they would be available, but New York never changed their regulations so none are available.

If you can document that your parents made the travel arrangements, paid for the beach house and have the reservation in their names, no fraud is committed. They can buy the policy. If they fulfilled the cancel for any reason (CFAR), they are covered.

If you want more information about this or related areas, I'm doing a Q & A on Cruise Critic for January 2021 at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2500-qa-cruise-insurance-with-the-tripinsurancestorecom-january-2021/

I also did a Q & A in June 2020: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2484-qa-cruise-insurance-w-steve-dasseos-of-the-tripinsurancestorecom-june-2020/

I hope this helps you,

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi brookie848,

> And does anyone know if certain credit cards will offer this type of travel insurance?

No, they don't offer this.

> How does it work for cancel any reason?

You still have to document what was prepaid and the cancellation penalties, but for the reason, I telll people the best reason is to say ""We changed our mind and cancelled".

> We live in New York and this state does not allow cancel any reason insurance policies. My parents, who are traveling with us to the beach house, live in Pennsylvania. They are allowed to buy cancel any reason policies. If we have them book the beach house and we end up not going because of Covid restrictions...

You're right that New York State does not allow cancel any for reason insurance policies. Back in March Gov. Cuomo said they would be available, but New York never changed their regulations so none are available.

If you can document that your parents made the travel arrangements, paid for the beach house and have the reservation in their names, no fraud is committed. They can buy the policy. If they fulfilled the cancel for any reason (CFAR), they are covered.

If you want more information about this or related areas, I'm doing a Q & A on Cruise Critic for January 2021 at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2500-qa-cruise-insurance-with-the-tripinsurancestorecom-january-2021/

I also did a Q & A in June 2020: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2484-qa-cruise-insurance-w-steve-dasseos-of-the-tripinsurancestorecom-june-2020/

I hope this helps you,

Steve Dasseos

Thank you! This definitely helps and I will definitely take a look at your Q&As.

I have used “cancel for any reason“.  In our case our reason was because our son who coached overseas moved to a team in the US after we planned a trip to see him in Europe.  I still had to provide documents so I sent a newspaper clipping which was sufficient.    Note: some policies have anywhere from a 14 day to a 48 hour window before the trip wherein you can’t “cancel for any reason”.  For instance some policies will not refund your 75% if you cancel within 12 days of your trip.  All this to say...read the fine print.   
Also...I have just been looking for “cancel for any reason” for a 2022 trip.  I have noticed that many “cancel for any reason” policies have “Covid related events” as an exemption or an exemption if there is a government advisory against travel.  Again, be sure to read the fine print.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Cancun01