Mandate the vaccine and establish a realistic start date

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

As COVID moves from being a pandemic to an endemic, mask use and distancing will be encouraged. Some of my initial PPE was from the days of the H1N1 virus (moving from being N95 dust and pollen masks for yard work to lifesaving masks during the high spread periods of COVID). 

The vaccines, especially the new J&J vaccine only prevent you from becoming seriously (fatally) ill when you catch COVID. If the virus is still around, it will spread and make people mildly ill. And the goal will still be to prevent it from being around. 

Mask use and social distancing isn't really compatible with being human, though. There's a reason we resist it so strongly (and I'm not disagreeing that it's necessary right now). I don't see a "new normal" setting in that makes those barriers permanent. Perhaps we are all more receptive to adopting those measures as needed, but I can't see them becoming permanent (or even sticking around past this summer).

• Like 7

On 2/27/2021 at 7:04 AM, OceanCruise said:

The Covid-19 vaccines were rushed to market and skipped the animal trials. There is no long-term data to know if this same phenomena will occur in humans.

You are incorrect. Stop spreading misinformation.

Here is some evidence for you, Australia’s national science agency did the animal trials for Astra Zeneca https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/Health/Infectious-diseases-coronavirus/Fighting-the-virus/Vaccine-testing

20 hours ago, broberts said:

Good on you, I am tired of people spreading lies on this forum.

20 hours ago, koolZip said:

As soon as I see the words "live in fear" in someone's comment, I know that I can, with complete confidence, ignore everything else they have to say.

Yes totally!

19 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Agreed.... Also, ‘basement’.

Yes!

10 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

And sheeple; add these three terms to a list of posts to avoid. 

Agree!

9 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Also "the Fauci". 

OMG yes!

8 hours ago, cured said:

Can we also add Fow-Chi?

Yes we should and will! 

I want add general statements about avenues and techniques to combat virus spread that “don’t work” (even though they clearly work well when applied to some scenarios).

I will never understand the people who spread this rubbish on this forum. Is it lack of awareness, fear or malice? So tiring and so boring, I would much rather read arguments about dress code.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

And the goal will still be to prevent it from being around. 

That's not the goal whatsoever. The goal it to make it so the vulnerable population can either avoid it or safely recover from it. For the rest of us, it'll continue to be a bad cold or the flu.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

That's not the goal whatsoever. The goal it to make it so the vulnerable population can either avoid it or safely recover from it. For the rest of us, it'll continue to be a bad cold or the flu.

How would you suggest the vulnerable population avoid the virus?

About "the rest of us", how do you want to handle the retroactively vulnerable? You know, otherwise healthy people that end up on ventilators, or suffer long haulers syndrom, or children that develop MIS-C.

On 1/28/2021 at 5:06 PM, karena1 said:

I laugh that everyone thinks this vaccine is the end all to be all.  Just like the flu shot!!!.  There are so many variations of this virus, just b/c you get it, does not mean you  will be protected, anymore than you are protected with the flu shot.  I will get the vaccine (even though I am totally against it) ONLY because I want to cruise again.  We have been traveling all over since June and neither one of us have had any issues at all.  In fact - until we go in March, when the stupid CDC has mandated we get a test to come back to the states, we have not even had a COVID test.  This will be the first for us.  But willing to put up with the CDC BS so we can continue to travel.  Just like we will put up with the requirement to get the Vaccine even though I don't think it will do anything more than a flu shot (which I have never had).  Unfortunately, we live in a stupid world right now, and the CDC wants to control everything.  So whether I like it or not, I will do what they mandate. We refuse to sit at home in a bubble and die.  We want to live, so will do what we have to so we can continue to travel.  I know I will get blasted because we don't live in fear, but I simply don't care anymore. I am totally over all this BS.  Get the country open and let people live again. My mother almost died last weekend of a stroke.  Thankfully, she will be fine.  But life is short - LIVE IT!

coming up on one year of “two weeks to flatten the curve”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lizzius said:

You know people were pissed once they realized the depth of those lies, too.

Except they were not all lies. Lies are knowingly false statements made to decieve. Making a statement that later proves false is not of itself a lie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

Except they were not all lies. Lies are knowingly false statements made to decieve. Making a statement that later proves false is not of itself a lie. 

Not sure this is a righteous road you're trying to defend here... Flabbergasted, honestly, at the very idea of offering those examples as a defense.

2 minutes ago, lizzius said:

Not sure this is a righteous road you're trying to defend here... Flabbergasted, honestly, at the very idea of offering those examples as a defense.

I'm not defending the statements. Just pointing out that throughout history statements have been made that later prove to be terribly false.

In fact the "two weeks and it will be over" is a line pushed by one side of an idiotic argument in an attempt to discredit the other.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:40 PM, Suncoastsailors said:

Today 6.5 % of the nation is vaccinated. If cruise lines would mandate the vaccine for crew and passengers and give a realistic start date. Those who want to cruise can focus on getting the vaccine. Let the ports of call know that all crew and passengers will be vaccinated. This seems like the answer to cruises returning. Testing can be relaxed, ship precautions can be reduced. Even if someone gets the virus onboard it won't spread to other passengers or crew. Those who don't want the vaccine can cancel, but those still booked on cruise ships want to cruise.

Since I started this topic vaccination administration has accelerated. It is now expected that there will be enough supply to vaccinate the entire US population by July 2021. Mandatory vaccination of crew and passengers seems sensible, at least for the first few months of cruising. Cruise lines could request permission to restart on the basis of full vaccination. This certainly would help ease concerns of all involved. It is time to set a date, a goal. Sorry for those unable or unwilling to vaccinate but we need to start somewhere and be successful. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 10:41 PM, Suncoastsailors said:

Since I started this topic vaccination administration has accelerated. It is now expected that there will be enough supply to vaccinate the entire US population by July 2021. Mandatory vaccination of crew and passengers seems sensible, at least for the first few months of cruising. Cruise lines could request permission to restart on the basis of full vaccination. This certainly would help ease concerns of all involved. It is time to set a date, a goal. Sorry for those unable or unwilling to vaccinate but we need to start somewhere and be successful. 

I agree.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 9:41 PM, Suncoastsailors said:

Do you think cdc just will remove their testing protocols they have in place until nov 1, 2021?

People have a lot more faith than I do the cdc will just say sure, poof it's gone. Vaccines enough, go for it. And rcl isnt going to say ok nov 1st, cancelling everything until then. Refunds are in the mail, bye til then.

I dont see vaccines being enough for cdc and them removing the protocols.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 2:06 PM, karena1 said:

I laugh that everyone thinks this vaccine is the end all to be all.  Just like the flu shot!!!.  There are so many variations of this virus, just b/c you get it, does not mean you  will be protected, anymore than you are protected with the flu shot.  I will get the vaccine (even though I am totally against it) ONLY because I want to cruise again.  We have been traveling all over since June and neither one of us have had any issues at all.  In fact - until we go in March, when the stupid CDC has mandated we get a test to come back to the states, we have not even had a COVID test.  This will be the first for us.  But willing to put up with the CDC BS so we can continue to travel.  Just like we will put up with the requirement to get the Vaccine even though I don't think it will do anything more than a flu shot (which I have never had).  Unfortunately, we live in a stupid world right now, and the CDC wants to control everything.  So whether I like it or not, I will do what they mandate. We refuse to sit at home in a bubble and die.  We want to live, so will do what we have to so we can continue to travel.  I know I will get blasted because we don't live in fear, but I simply don't care anymore. I am totally over all this BS.  Get the country open and let people live again. My mother almost died last weekend of a stroke.  Thankfully, she will be fine.  But life is short - LIVE IT!

Yup, we totally agree and have done the same thing. Not going to sit at home and do nothing. The only good thing that happen in the last year the lockdown with 5 grand kids, 2 daughters, son and daughter in law for 4 weeks. Then we decided our Governor is and still is dictator and quit listening to him. Had to cancel our family trip to Hawaii last June so we went on a camping trip to Yellowstone instead. 

So we do what we want, as we camp, boat and fish which our governor shut down! We still travel. We have traveled cross country, been to Mexico plus have flown 4 times. Have no issue with the airlines. Washington State still won't let us visit our mom who is in an assisted living. So we have to talk to her through the window. 

I do wear a mask but only were I have to. Once outside it is off.

So I agree with everything Karena said. Will not live in fear! We are LIVING!

• Like 5