Mandate the vaccine and establish a realistic start date

Today 6.5 % of the nation is vaccinated. If cruise lines would mandate the vaccine for crew and passengers and give a realistic start date. Those who want to cruise can focus on getting the vaccine. Let the ports of call know that all crew and passengers will be vaccinated. This seems like the answer to cruises returning. Testing can be relaxed, ship precautions can be reduced. Even if someone gets the virus onboard it won't spread to other passengers or crew. Those who don't want the vaccine can cancel, but those still booked on cruise ships want to cruise.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

Today 6.5 % of the nation is vaccinated. If cruise lines would mandate the vaccine for crew and passengers and give a realistic start date. Those who want to cruise can focus on getting the vaccine. Let the ports of call know that all crew and passengers will be vaccinated. This seems like the answer to cruises returning. Testing can be relaxed, ship precautions can be reduced. Even if someone gets the virus onboard it won't spread to other passengers or crew. Those who don't want the vaccine can cancel, but those still booked on cruise ships want to cruise.

I do not believe that being vaccinated will be an option.  Cruise lines will not take the risk.  People with vaccinations will still have a degree of vulnerability.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

Well it would have to be after nov 1 2021 as the cdc has mandated tested until then. I'm hoping they can find a way to cruise before the cdc order lifts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I do not believe that being vaccinated will be an option.  Cruise lines will not take the risk.  People with vaccinations will still have a degree of vulnerability.

LOL.  Stay home and let us live.

And what would that degree of vulnerability be?  Please quantify for us.  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

Yes.   Let’s do it.  

Even California is opening back up (how about those collapsing hospitals?)

57 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

Remember that just because you have the vaccine does not mean you won't get covid or spread it.    They are saying people who get the vaccine would have reduced symptoms and maybe no symptoms but can still be spreaders.   I don't believe they can or will relax testing or any precautions for quite awhile.

We are still along way from getting the planet vaccinated, no idea how they are doing in countries such as the Thailand or the Philippines where a lot of crew come from.    

Impossible to know when majority of the US will be vaccinated as we are at the mercy of the manufacturers  It is being said that most will be vaccinated by this summer.     

All we can do is continue on day by day, week by week, etc etc. and hope that someday in the near future we will all be cruising again.

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

Mistaken assumption that the virus cannot spread in a mostly vaccinated population. It has yet to be established that the vaccinated cannot transmit the virus. With more and more variants coming to light, until proven otherwise we can not assume the vaccinated are always protected.

Besides, people do eventually get off the ship and enter the general population. Until most people are somewhat protected, it is very unlikely that cruising will resume.

• Like 5

I laugh that everyone thinks this vaccine is the end all to be all.  Just like the flu shot!!!.  There are so many variations of this virus, just b/c you get it, does not mean you  will be protected, anymore than you are protected with the flu shot.  I will get the vaccine (even though I am totally against it) ONLY because I want to cruise again.  We have been traveling all over since June and neither one of us have had any issues at all.  In fact - until we go in March, when the stupid CDC has mandated we get a test to come back to the states, we have not even had a COVID test.  This will be the first for us.  But willing to put up with the CDC BS so we can continue to travel.  Just like we will put up with the requirement to get the Vaccine even though I don't think it will do anything more than a flu shot (which I have never had).  Unfortunately, we live in a stupid world right now, and the CDC wants to control everything.  So whether I like it or not, I will do what they mandate. We refuse to sit at home in a bubble and die.  We want to live, so will do what we have to so we can continue to travel.  I know I will get blasted because we don't live in fear, but I simply don't care anymore. I am totally over all this BS.  Get the country open and let people live again. My mother almost died last weekend of a stroke.  Thankfully, she will be fine.  But life is short - LIVE IT!

Edited by karena1
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, broberts said:

Mistaken assumption that the virus cannot spread in a mostly vaccinated population. It has yet to be established that the vaccinated cannot transmit the virus. With more and more variants coming to light, until proven otherwise we can not assume the vaccinated are always protected.

Besides, people do eventually get off the ship and enter the general population. Until most people are somewhat protected, it is very unlikely that cruising will resume.

I know people could still get the virus after the vaccine, but this would protect from a mass spread around the ship. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, karena1 said:

I laugh that everyone thinks this vaccine is the end all to be all.  Just like the flu shot!!!.  There are so many variations of this virus, just b/c you get it, does not mean you  will be protected, anymore than you are protected with the flu shot.  I will get the vaccine (even though I am totally against it) ONLY because I want to cruise again.  We have been traveling all over since June and neither one of us have had any issues at all.  In fact - until we go in March, when the stupid CDC has mandated we get a test to come back to the states, we have not even had a COVID test.  This will be the first for us.  But willing to put up with the CDC BS so we can continue to travel.  Just like we will put up with the requirement to get the Vaccine even though I don't think it will do anything more than a flu shot (which I have never had).  Unfortunately, we live in a stupid world right now, and the CDC wants to control everything.  So whether I like it or not, I will do what they mandate. We refuse to sit at home in a bubble and die.  We want to live, so will do what we have to so we can continue to travel.  I know I will get blasted because we don't live in fear, but I simply don't care anymore. I am totally over all this BS.  Get the country open and let people live again.

That’s the spirit!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just googled to see if other countries such as Thailand and Philippines, where a lot of cruiselines crew live, are vaccinating yet.      These 2 countries are in the process of securing/order China's vaccine manufactured by Sinovac.     

China has not yet completed their test trials but began distributing the vaccine to people are high risk and also has distributed it to areas such as Brazil that were having large spreads for months.   

Data from Brazil in Jan shows the vaccine is 50.4% effective    

So even though someone has been vaccinated it doesn't mean the vaccine they received is truly working as good as the projections for Moderna and Pfizer.      I do not see relaxing of testing or other safety procedures for quite a while.

6 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

Why do they need test cruises if everyone is vaccinated.

Curious, when do you think Everyone (Crew from all over the World and Passengers) will be vaccinated?    

15 minutes ago, Suncoastsailors said:

I know people could still get the virus after the vaccine, but this would protect from a mass spread around the ship. 

No, it would not. It can, and probably will, spread all over the ship. The good news is that no one on board will be overly affected by it. But. when they get off the ship, carrying the virus, they will have the potential to spread it others that have not been vaccinated.

19 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I laugh that everyone thinks this vaccine is the end all to be all.  Just like the flu shot!!!.  There are so many variations of this virus, just b/c you get it, does not mean you  will be protected, anymore than you are protected with the flu shot.  I will get the vaccine (even though I am totally against it) ONLY because I want to cruise again.  We have been traveling all over since June and neither one of us have had any issues at all.  In fact - until we go in March, when the stupid CDC has mandated we get a test to come back to the states, we have not even had a COVID test.  This will be the first for us.  But willing to put up with the CDC BS so we can continue to travel.  Just like we will put up with the requirement to get the Vaccine even though I don't think it will do anything more than a flu shot (which I have never had).  Unfortunately, we live in a stupid world right now, and the CDC wants to control everything.  So whether I like it or not, I will do what they mandate. We refuse to sit at home in a bubble and die.  We want to live, so will do what we have to so we can continue to travel.  I know I will get blasted because we don't live in fear, but I simply don't care anymore. I am totally over all this BS.  Get the country open and let people live again. My mother almost died last weekend of a stroke.  Thankfully, she will be fine.  But life is short - LIVE IT!

I applaud you Karena1.   We were going to take our rescheduled trip to Aruba in the spring and now you have to test before traveling and before boarding a flight home to the USA.  I cannot take the chance of a false positive so back to the drawing board on travel choices.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

They have not even said when they are going to conduct their test cruises.

Test cruises.  There was a call for volunteers and there was speculation that the test cruises would begin soon thereafter.  However, just as the cruise lines could choose to follow that plan (make changes to their fleets, such as enhanced medical facilities and increased medical staffing; make changes to their operations, such as only one crew member to crew cabin, enhanced cleaning routine, no self-serve buffets, and so on; sail at reduced capacity and with limits on cruise length), they could also decide not to pursue that avenue, wait out the pandemic, and restart their cruise operations once the CDC lifts all restrictions.  Could that be what’s happening?  I know this is speculation.  However, I can imagine that the finance folks have reviewed the matter, crunched the numbers.  Is it possible that, with all of the uncertainty in the near term and in the hope that the vaccine roll-out might bring an “end” to the pandemic,  they’ve argued and convinced managements  that it’s better to wait things out?

2 hours ago, Suncoastsailors said:

If you are talking about cruises out of the US, it's not up to the cruise lines. It's up to the CDC.

first off....the flu vacine is at best rated at 60 % effective....a long way from the 95% for the Moderna and Pfizer shots....that said, I question that 6.5% have been vaccinated....that would be 21million. Maybe so....could you post a link to that?

Doug

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Test cruises.  There was a call for volunteers and there was speculation that the test cruises would begin soon thereafter.  However, just as the cruise lines could choose to follow that plan (make changes to their fleets, such as enhanced medical facilities and increased medical staffing; make changes to their operations, such as only one crew member to crew cabin, enhanced cleaning routine, no self-serve buffets, and so on; sail at reduced capacity and with limits on cruise length), they could also decide not to pursue that avenue, wait out the pandemic, and restart their cruise operations once the CDC lifts all restrictions.  Could that be what’s happening?  I know this is speculation.  However, I can imagine that the finance folks have reviewed the matter, crunched the numbers.  Is it possible that, with all of the uncertainty in the near term and in the hope that the vaccine roll-out might bring an “end” to the pandemic,  they’ve argued and convinced managements  that it’s better to wait things out?

I heard that in the Fall MSC Grandiosa ship sailing out of Italy had very few passengers much less than amount allowed due to the fact most people were fearing travel.   I highly doubt they were making any type of profit.     They just began sailing out of Italy on 1.25 and I read on another thread that hardly anyone is on board this week.      I think they are allowing 2500 passengers and they only have a couple hundred passengers last I heard (they can board at every port so that number fluctuates a couple times in the 7 day cruise period.   

It is very possible that RCL could follow these protocols just like they are doing on Quantum in Singapore the problem is getting the CDC to say Yes.     What is the latest on how many passengers are boarding the Quantum for their sailings?