Mandate the vaccine and establish a realistic start date

Novavax released results of their vaccine trial tonight.  Different approach from Pfizer, Moderna, Oxford, etc but still  90% effective overall  and 89% effective against UK variant.  Problem is they were only 60% effective against the emerging South African variant.  Other vaccine makers are still evaluating their effectiveness against South Africa strain but if they are also only 60% it makes me less optimistic about cruising. 

Just my two cents, but I think the cruise line should mandate that all adults both passenger and crew get vaccinated.  Anyone eligible for a vaccine should get it as it provides the highest degree of protection.

As for children which has no approved vaccine yet or people who for one reason or another can't take the vaccine (such as people with severe allergies), get proof of negative Covid test within 72 hours of cruise like they do for international flights, maybe even conduct a second rapid test when checking in at port.

Do that, and you can safely assume that almost everyone on board are either protected or virus free.  It is obviously not a 100 percent fail safe guarantee, but as close as it gets.  Couple with lots of infrared temperature sensors, mandatory mask wearing when outside your room and social distancing, and hopefully we can have a relatively safe cruise.  There may still be sporadic instances of Covid on board but the important thing is to avoid a super-spreader Covid outbreak.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

That's doses administered. Remember that it takes two doses per person. 

OK.  The original statement was that 6.5% have been vaccinated.  Seems to me, that’s close enough although they may or may not have had the full course.

Edited by d9704011

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Currently vaccines are approved for age 16 and over

Ok, still no kids can get it. Would make a problem mandating vaccines but cant bring your kids. Maybe allow kids to not have it? Just those 16 and over. Still seems like a possible problem

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Novavax released results of their vaccine trial tonight.  Different approach from Pfizer, Moderna, Oxford, etc but still  90% effective overall  and 89% effective against UK variant.  Problem is they were only 60% effective against the emerging South African variant.  Other vaccine makers are still evaluating their effectiveness against South Africa strain but if they are also only 60% it makes me less optimistic about cruising. 

That is what is so promising about the mRNA technology. You do not need to redo the whole vaccine like traditional vaccines for each variant. You just tweak the mRNA with different instructions.  Moderna is already working on a booster to be available in about 9 months. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Suncoastsailors said:

Today 6.5 % of the nation is vaccinated. If cruise lines would mandate the vaccine for crew and passengers and give a realistic start date. Those who want to cruise can focus on getting the vaccine. Let the ports of call know that all crew and passengers will be vaccinated. This seems like the answer to cruises returning. Testing can be relaxed, ship precautions can be reduced. Even if someone gets the virus onboard it won't spread to other passengers or crew. Those who don't want the vaccine can cancel, but those still booked on cruise ships want to cruise.

Here is my take on your proposal: 

First of all, since I don't fall into any of the categories that have first, second or possibly third dibs on getting a vaccine, it will be a while until I can cruise if proof of vaccination is ultimately required.  There is probably a high percentage of people in my situation who want to cruise but won't be able to due to lack of vaccine availability. 

Secondly, the CDC requires each ship to obtain a certificate in order to sail and one of the requirements is a test cruise.  As some have pointed out, these test cruises have not seen the light of day. 

Lastly, the risk of restarting too early is greater than any possible gains.  I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer or a Negative Nelly but it's way too early. Eventually when more people are vaccinated your idea or some form of it could be perfectly viable. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Suncoastsailors said:

Today 6.5 % of the nation is vaccinated. If cruise lines would mandate the vaccine for crew and passengers and give a realistic start date. Those who want to cruise can focus on getting the vaccine. Let the ports of call know that all crew and passengers will be vaccinated. This seems like the answer to cruises returning. Testing can be relaxed, ship precautions can be reduced. Even if someone gets the virus onboard it won't spread to other passengers or crew. Those who don't want the vaccine can cancel, but those still booked on cruise ships want to cruise.

Good luck finding a vaccine even if you are eligible. Due to my job, I am currently eligible.  I just got an email from the board of health that there are 30,000 people eligible yet the county only received 800 doses last week. People who had their first dose are being told they can't even make an appt for their 2nd due to there not being any vaccine available. Something about a big lie that there was a big stockpile for the 2nd doses.  If you have even glanced at the news lately, there is a severe shortage of vaccine right now.

The new administration is trying to find out where all the vaccine went to, but is encountering difficulties obtaining information.  They ordered another 2 million doses to bring the country up to 6 million, but the additional vaccines won't be ready until late summer. The manufacturers are manufacturing for the entire world, not just the US. We have to get in line for our share of the vaccine. 

Additionally, the company that makes the specialized syringes that allow you to get an extra dose out of each vial announced yesterday that they cannot produce more any faster.

Statistics say that we must be vaccinating 2.5 million people a day in order to get everyone vaccinated by late summer.  Right now, the US is only vaccinating 1 million a day. At this rate, it won't be till next summer before everyone is vaccinated with 2 doses.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, karena1 said:

I laugh that everyone thinks this vaccine is the end all to be all.  Just like the flu shot!!!.  There are so many variations of this virus, just b/c you get it, does not mean you  will be protected, anymore than you are protected with the flu shot.  I will get the vaccine (even though I am totally against it) ONLY because I want to cruise again.  We have been traveling all over since June and neither one of us have had any issues at all.  In fact - until we go in March, when the stupid CDC has mandated we get a test to come back to the states, we have not even had a COVID test.  This will be the first for us.  But willing to put up with the CDC BS so we can continue to travel.  Just like we will put up with the requirement to get the Vaccine even though I don't think it will do anything more than a flu shot (which I have never had).  Unfortunately, we live in a stupid world right now, and the CDC wants to control everything.  So whether I like it or not, I will do what they mandate. We refuse to sit at home in a bubble and die.  We want to live, so will do what we have to so we can continue to travel.  I know I will get blasted because we don't live in fear, but I simply don't care anymore. I am totally over all this BS.  Get the country open and let people live again. My mother almost died last weekend of a stroke.  Thankfully, she will be fine.  But life is short - LIVE IT!

This is a great article to read about natural immunity. So far, it is looking like natural immunity is lasting at least 8 months. This bodes well for the efficacy and long term immunity of the vaccine.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/01/06/science.abf4063

BTW, the two current vaccines bear absolutely no resemblance to the flu vaccine.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cured said:

This is a great article to read about natural immunity. So far, it is looking like natural immunity is lasting at least 8 months. This bodes well for the efficacy and long term immunity of the vaccine.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/01/06/science.abf4063

BTW, the two current vaccines bear absolutely no resemblance to the flu vaccine.

There's also a unknown portion of the population that has some cross immunity from something else and is immune w/o getting covid to build antibodies.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

There's also a unknown portion of the population that has some cross immunity from something else and is immune w/o getting covid to build antibodies.

This 🔝 

I know some people who have been terribly exposed to CV19 and never contracted it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

It sounds like the OP has not even heard about the CDC's No Sail Order

You must have nodded off, the CDC rescinded the No Sail Order the end of October. What there is is a set of guidelines the ships must meet in order to sail. That’s what the rest cruises are for, to prove they can meet all the guidelines.

16 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

You must have nodded off, the CDC rescinded the No Sail Order the end of October. What there is is a set of guidelines the ships must meet in order to sail. That’s what the rest cruises are for, to prove they can meet all the guidelines.

Except they can't meet the guidelines because the CDC isn't helping them through the gray areas. So essentially it is a no sail order.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Except they can't meet the guidelines because the CDC isn't helping them through the gray areas. So essentially it is a no sail order.

With how high covid cases were november thru january across the US I dont think the cruiselines wanted to even risk trying to get thru the gray areas of the CSO.

• Like 1