New Canadian travel restrictions

hcat

7 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Are you kidding?  How many sources do you want?  

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/immigration/story/2021-02-02/san-diego-offers-covid-19-vaccine-to-undocumented-residents

San Diego County residents can access the COVID-19 vaccine for free regardless of their immigration status, public officials have repeatedly said.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/politics/covid-vaccines-undocumented-immigrants/index.html

Undocumented immigrants should get coronavirus vaccines, the Biden administration said Monday, adding that federal authorities won't conduct immigration enforcement operations at vaccine distribution sites or clinics.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/us-wont-make-immigration-arrests-at-covid-19-vaccination-sites

In its statement, DHS said it encourages everyone "regardless of immigration status" to receive the vaccine when they are eligible and that the agency and its federal partners "fully support equal access to the COVID-19 vaccines and vaccine distribution sites for undocumented immigrants."

The previous administration, the current administration, caravans...let's leave this out of the discussion, it's irrelevant to helping and encouraging people to get a vaccine, ALL people

15 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

The previous administration, the current administration, caravans...let's leave this out of the discussion, it's irrelevant to helping and encouraging people to get a vaccine, ALL people

i am simply answering a question.  As someone with family and friends in Mexico, I probably know more people that have died from COVID than most.  I know of one person that has died in the US and about 10 - mostly elderly - in Mexico.  Does that mean the US should vaccinate Mexico first?  How about other countries?   ALL can extend quite far.

Trust me, it is my own personal best interest to get everyone in my community vaccinated.  I am actually a "padrino" to someone who's parents don't have status.  Would I want to see that kid's parents (who are also my friends)  die or become ill?

Edited by SelectSys

The bottom line is that you cannot control people leaving the country.  The land borders may be blocked but the air ports are not.

The only controls at your disposal are those in place for people entering the country.

Edited by iancal

19 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Are you kidding?  How many sources do you want?  

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/immigration/story/2021-02-02/san-diego-offers-covid-19-vaccine-to-undocumented-residents

San Diego County residents can access the COVID-19 vaccine for free regardless of their immigration status, public officials have repeatedly said.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/politics/covid-vaccines-undocumented-immigrants/index.html

Undocumented immigrants should get coronavirus vaccines, the Biden administration said Monday, adding that federal authorities won't conduct immigration enforcement operations at vaccine distribution sites or clinics.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/us-wont-make-immigration-arrests-at-covid-19-vaccination-sites

In its statement, DHS said it encourages everyone "regardless of immigration status" to receive the vaccine when they are eligible and that the agency and its federal partners "fully support equal access to the COVID-19 vaccines and vaccine distribution sites for undocumented immigrants."

Thank you. I do not live in San Diego, nor do I watch the other two sources that you quoted.

23 hours ago, bennybear said:

Again, is it not up to the state to make the decision on who and what criteria it uses to make  this decision?    In this pandemic governments need to make  the best decisions to protect their people period! 

Of course it is up to the "state". I was merely questioning the definition of

"Winter Home" in reference to another post by em-sk:

"The Canadians getting a vaccine in the US were mostly people who qualified under US rules by having a winter home in the US."

54 minutes ago, nini said:

Of course it is up to the "state". I was merely questioning the definition of

"Winter Home" in reference to another post by em-sk:

"The Canadians getting a vaccine in the US were mostly people who qualified under US rules by having a winter home in the US."

So then the state will determine the criteria for winter home

1 hour ago, nini said:

Thank you. I do not live in San Diego, nor do I watch the other two sources that you quoted.

No worries - those outside of the border region are typically not that aware of the nuances of informal immigration.

Back in the day, we didn't really have a fence at all and a daily cavalry charge of people would run across the border and cross the freeway.  So much so, that they were causing freeway accidents and the sign below was posted on freeways at popular immigrant crossing points.

image.jpeg.2e02a15656bd395eabb2eddcf4d808f7.jpeg

Another nuance is that Mexicans can't claim asylum in the US while people from most of Central America can.  

Edited by SelectSys

On 2/5/2021 at 10:54 PM, nini said:

"Having a winter home" is a nebulous statement. A home is where you lay your head...a hotel... a VRBO...

They may or may not be home owners paying taxes... .. They may be taking the place of a U.S. Citizen who could be receiving the vaccine. The vaccine is costing our taxpayers to vaccinate someone who just happens to be here at the right time at the right age. 

News reports that show up in Canada usually feature people who own property in the US and spend part of the year in Canada and part of the year in the US.   

That said news reports do not represent everyone just the story of the people they interviewed.

Edited by em-sk

On 2/6/2021 at 9:32 AM, SelectSys said:

Totally agree with this perspective.  I do wonder that in addition to quarantine you could also be charged with some kind of crime?  I think that Canada is now imposing penalties for unauthorized travel or at least breaking quarantine.  

Got it!  This is completely separate from the transfer tax which is a separate issues.  Many of those are also vacant or being underused.

Large scale foreign purchase of real estate also occurs in parts of California.   Restrictions by the Chinese government on moving money out of the country have slowed the processes as of late, but the trend is still quite strong.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/08/23/homes-sale-chinese-investors-purchasing-fewer-u-s-houses/1960142001/

California is the epicenter of Chinese residential investment in the U.S., with 34% of purchases in the state. 

In Irvine, population 280,000, “there are 65,000 houses... and 21,000 of them are owned by Chinese.” Lu of Fidelity National says.

“It’s normal for Chinese buyers to raise the price aggressively," says Phil Lee, a broker at Keller Williams in Irvine. "For example, a $1.2 million house, they pay $1.22 million, all in cash.” 

In recent years, Chinese investors made about half of all home purchases in the city, but that share has fallen to about 36% in 2019, Lu says.

You do realize that all over the US the various governments has started and continue planning on vaccinating many non-citizens and residents?  These people typically pay no taxes other than sales tax as they live outside the formal system.    

In Canada, the requirement on entry was (and still is), you must demonstrate that you have a worked out plan of how you will quarantine at home for 14 days.  If you don't have a plan you will be put up at a hotel the government has leased and quarantine there.  The problem is to many people we not sticking to their plan.  They could be fined for violating the local quarantine laws in their province.  To many people were violating the rules that they are no proposing everyone quarantine in a hotel under government supervision.  Similar to what Australia and the UK are now doing.

As for fines it varies.   The federal quarantine act only applies to holding someone long enough to determine if they are safe to enter Canada.  Once admitted into Canada it is provincial authorities and quarantine laws that apply.  Yes, there are fines for breaking quarantine.  

Edited by em-sk

7 minutes ago, em-sk said:

In Canada, the requirement on entry was (and still is), you must demonstrate that you have a worked out plan of how you will quarantine at home for 14 days. 

Not nearly as onerous as I thought!  Thanks for the details.

8 minutes ago, em-sk said:

The problem is to many people we not sticking to their plan.

What a surprise.  Most people believe rules are for others and not themselves.  I see it everyday in my town regarding COVID policy and I allegedly live in a community that "believes in science."

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

No worries - those outside of the border region are typically not that aware of the nuances of informal immigration.

Back in the day, we didn't really have a fence at all and a daily cavalry charge of people would run across the border and cross the freeway.  So much so, that they were causing freeway accidents and the sign below was posted on freeways at popular immigrant crossing points.

image.jpeg.2e02a15656bd395eabb2eddcf4d808f7.jpeg

Another nuance is that Mexicans can't claim asylum in the US while people from most of Central America can.  

However, I will tell you that San Diego is my birthplace and I lived in S. Cal

for 29 years. So, I am very familiar with the various issues of which you speak.

We would often walk across the border with friends and do some shopping.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Not nearly as onerous as I thought!  Thanks for the details.

What a surprise.  Most people believe rules are for others and not themselves.  I see it everyday in my town regarding COVID policy and I allegedly live in a community that "believes in science."

They are working on getting on getting more hotels setup.  When ready in a few days the expectation is everyone quarantines in a hotel under government supervision for 3 days with a COVID test on entry and a COVID test on exist.  If positive it is extended for the full 14 days.  

Yes, people are good at promising to boarder control officers all sorts of thing, but several days later appear to have lapses in memory.  I suspect a universal trait in humans.  

• Like 1