Cost vs. Benefit of OLife Add-on

Psoque

2 minutes ago, nancynana9950 said:

Hello all. This has been an interesting read. We are considering a September Canada/New England/Bermuda cruise on Oceania. It would be our first. No flights involved. Only one of us is a light drinker. Nearly all ports we can do on our own. I think we will have to compare the final cost for cruise only to OLife shipboard credit to pay gratuities and the one shoreex and a few drinks? Make sense?

Just remember that there is no savings in selecting the OLife SBC.  The cost of  OLife  is identical to the SBC amount, so it's a wash,  Some like the convenience, but OLife SBC is non-refundable, so it's use it (not hard to do)  or lose it.

38 minutes ago, nancynana9950 said:

Hello all. This has been an interesting read. We are considering a September Canada/New England/Bermuda cruise on Oceania. It would be our first. No flights involved. Only one of us is a light drinker. Nearly all ports we can do on our own. I think we will have to compare the final cost for cruise only to OLife shipboard credit to pay gratuities and the one shoreex and a few drinks? Make sense?

No, it doesn't make sense. See what 1986rz1 posted above me, or re read the thread. You should just do cruise only, pay for your grats, or better yet find a Travel Agent that will include them, pay for your shorex and drinks. You won't come out ahead, but you also won't have to spend any non refundable OBC at the end of your cruise on stuff you probably wouldn't get otherwise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nancynana9950 said:

Remember the Olife shipboard credit is the difference between cruise only and OLife....so basically you are pre-paying your own shipboard credit and it is non-refundable.   You would be better off to go Cruise Only and then buy your own shipboard credit ahead of time which is refundable.  

• Like 1

We are booked on Marina this coming Fall: first time on Oceania but experienced cruisers having sailed to and set foot on all 7 continents and spent years at sea starting with the originals Queens in the 1950s.  We really like Azamara and the R-Ships and decided to give the larger Riviera/Marina a try.  However, extremely disappointed in all the obfuscation by Oceania with its "OLife" program and options.  Seems to me that the only reason for this Rubik's cube of a pricing system to scam passengers into spending more than necessary for the same offerings if al-la-carte.  I could not get a clear understanding of airfare costs and choice to NOT use Life air, preferring to select and fly independently ($1500 business class across the Pond).  Additionally, the extra cost of "deviations" from what Oceania wants to to do, is just nuts.  I know of no other cruise line which over-charges in this manner.  Still, we are look forward to this cruise and hopefully the product will exceed the expectations we have so far garnered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nancynana9950 said:

or shop around for a TA that offers  Gratuities  & do cruise only

JMO

38 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

We are booked on Marina this coming Fall: first time on Oceania but experienced cruisers having sailed to and set foot on all 7 continents and spent years at sea starting with the originals Queens in the 1950s.  We really like Azamara and the R-Ships and decided to give the larger Riviera/Marina a try.  However, extremely disappointed in all the obfuscation by Oceania with its "OLife" program and options.  Seems to me that the only reason for this Rubik's cube of a pricing system to scam passengers into spending more than necessary for the same offerings if al-la-carte.  I could not get a clear understanding of airfare costs and choice to NOT use Life air, preferring to select and fly independently ($1500 business class across the Pond).  Additionally, the extra cost of "deviations" from what Oceania wants to to do, is just nuts.  I know of no other cruise line which over-charges in this manner.  Still, we are look forward to this cruise and hopefully the product will exceed the expectations we have so far garnered.

best to book your own air  if you want BIZ class

take the "cruise only "fare  & fly in/out as  you prefer

7 hours ago, gina8231 said:

But what if the Olife is the “free” Special Offer?

5 hours ago, ORV said:

I guess I've missed that promo. 

That’s basically what I got. My TA had a group rate with 5% off, but only on the OLife rate. Still cheaper than paying the regular ‘cruise only’ rate. 

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That’s basically what I got. My TA had a group rate with 5% off, but only on the OLife rate. Still cheaper than paying the regular ‘cruise only’ rate. 

Ours was a little different: the TA would pay gratuities, but only if one booked the OLife rate. Essentially the same result.