Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

if anyone is considering doing Antarctica...do not hesitate...just back from cruising on Octantis one of the best trips we have ever done!  Iguassu Falls was also amazing!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, deec said:

if anyone is considering doing Antarctica...do not hesitate...just back from cruising on Octantis one of the best trips we have ever done!  Iguassu Falls was also amazing!

My only comment about Antarctica is that yes, I think many people would like to love it. But, there are many operators in this space with Viking being one of the newer entrants. Viking has one of the bigger expedition ships.

18 hours ago, deec said:

Viking has sold us.  We will be on Octanis next month!

viking's Expedition team was extraordinary ( although I have no comparisons) and were so very knowledgeable.  The ship is very comfortable and food was better than the larger Ocean ships.  The entire crew was friendly and willing to help anyway possible. 

• Like 4

While there are number of competitors in the space, Viking changed the game with brand new, larger, modern ships doing the route.

No other ship is as comfortable (imo).  I've done several expedition ships, but they all felt very...  Bare bones.  True design was missing.  

You can't say that about Viking's expedition ships.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2024 at 7:27 PM, deec said:

@deec  May I ask what cabin you had on the Octanis?  We will be on the Octanis in a couple weeks.  Last Friday, Viking emailed and offered us an upgrade from DN3 to Nordic Penthouse (Deck 4) for $495 each.  We went for the upgrade. 😊

Edited by Ktwofish

we were in the lowest category ( 2037) and had plenty of room for storage.  My husband is tall enough to use the top shelf.  You will have more drawers.  All cabins are convenient for moving about the ship.  We liked being low and mid ship better for the Drake Shake!  We felt that these staterooms were a bit bigger than Ocean Ships.

You will have a great time I am sure.  There are great discussions specific to Viking on the other Social Media page.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deec said:

we were in the lowest category ( 2037) and had plenty of room for storage.  My husband is tall enough to use the top shelf.  You will have more drawers.  All cabins are convenient for moving about the ship.  We liked being low and mid ship better for the Drake Shake!  We felt that these staterooms were a bit bigger than Ocean Ships.

You will have a great time I am sure.  There are great discussions specific to Viking on the other Social Media page.

Thank you, @deec  I am part of a group on the other social media.  I have received lots of great info from that group, too.  The other group is a little particular about posting, though.  Recently, my post was deleted because I used a colored background for my post.  I reposted with no colored background 🤪

• Haha 1

More than a "liitle" particular but the information has always been great!  It was an awesome trip.. we also really enjoyed the Iguasu Falls if that is an option for you.

4 hours ago, deec said:

More than a "liitle" particular but the information has always been great!  It was an awesome trip.. we also really enjoyed the Iguasu Falls if that is an option for you.

Unfortunately, we cannot visit Iguasu Falls on this trip. It looks amazing online!  We are squeezing this Antarctica trip in before another long-planned March trip.  The Viking promo code in December was just too good to pass up!

On 12/13/2023 at 7:28 PM, minka34 said:

We are headed for our first Expedition ship experience in March.  It is a repositioning cruise so not really an expedition itinerary. On VO, I usually dress for dinner - nothing too fancy but some nights I might wear a dress (gasp!). Would you say that the dress for dinner is generally more casual on an Expedition ship in comparison to VO or similar?

On board Polaris. Excellent Wi-Fi service. Had to deviate today to king George island for med evac by plane for a passenger. Excursion choices are automatically rebooked to re accommodate as necessary as space allows. Weather low to mid 30’s, great food

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wp bob said:

On board Polaris. Excellent Wi-Fi service. Had to deviate today to king George island for med evac by plane for a passenger. Excursion choices are automatically rebooked to re accommodate as necessary as space allows. Weather low to mid 30’s, great food

@wp bob Sorry to hear about the medical emergency.  I hope they will be OK.  Seems like the last couple cruises have dealt with this issue.  It’s good to know Viking has an option with King George Island and can adjust the trip for the remaining passengers.  Good luck with the rest of your trip.  We leave in 2 weeks!

• 2 weeks later...

Some comments on Polaris Jan 30 sailing - excellent service and activities except for some poor weather. 2 days washed out due to high winds and a medical emergency deviation but extra lectures and workshops added. Some of the landing sights were changed. The excursion times you prebook were all changed several times onboard. It was easy to add extras - we had 2 zodiacs and sop boat each day. Submarine was very popular and took precedent over all on schedule. We did not do it. There is no paper voyager daily except on request - all on the voyager app or on the tv. Fastest internet ever of any ship!!

Viking reps were everywhere at the airport, hotel, charter flights, etc. We were at the Hilton, got our room by 1p, good location for walking around and restaurants. When you are in Ushuaia, there is a little time to explore & shop there before you sail. We actually docked around 7pm on the last day so there was time then also to walk around.  Our charter did not leave until 2p for Buenos Aires. Viking took us to a nearby club as a hospitality lounge with snacks, wifi, luggage storage so we could see the town and shop - not much except nicknacks & tshirts.  Other departures went straight to the airport and had a meal provided in Buenos Aires airport instead. Plenty of empty seat on the charters each way.

Dress very casual in the day and evening unless you went to the 2 special restaurants - then slightly dressier. Entertainment was a classical duo, guitar duo, and a lecture at 8:30p every evening or a documentary film. also a crew variety show. the lecturers and expedition staff were all excellent

Drake passage was ok- some 10ft swells and high wind but doable. Lots of sightings of whales and penguins with chicks, seals, etc.

Food was excellent - lots of variety. large sushi station and crab and shrimp at night. Grill did hamburgers at lunch and steaks at night besides the regular buffet offerings and pizza, gelato, etc. Steak lunch grilled outdoors on deck one day. No problem adding a res for the restaurant or manfredi's on board. Several coffee, tea, hot chocolate stations around the ship. Several times the ship served hot cider, spiced wine, other complimentary alcohol drinks.

We were on deck 2 which was a great location, plenty of storage. Any location is good on this small ship.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Sorry if I am out of place. Trying to find out if anyone has taken the Viking expedition cruise from Duluth.  If so what was the exact cruise terminal address. Hoping to book a nearby hotel. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

20 minutes ago, Coconutguy said:

Sorry if I am out of place. Trying to find out if anyone has taken the Viking expedition cruise from Duluth.  If so what was the exact cruise terminal address. Hoping to book a nearby hotel. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

I am interested in this info, too.

48 minutes ago, Coconutguy said:

Viking boarding location was the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center. We tendered to get to the ship. We stayed at the Hampton Inn Canal Park (upscale Hampton Inn!)…lots of restaurants in the vicinity. 

• Like 1

We are currently on the Viking Octantis.  Just as everyone was getting ready for the morning landings, the captain announced there was an emergency and the ship would be loaded back up and headed for King George Island.  About an hour later, the expedition leader announce that we could not go to King George Island due to weather conditions preventing a plane from landing there (presumably to pick up the medical emergency.)  We are now headed back to Ushuaia cutting our time in Antarctica by 3 days.  It will be a 36+ hour trip back to Ushuaia.  We are disappointed but hopefully whomever is experiencing the medical emergency will be OK.  I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had to return early to Ushuaia.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 8:29 AM, Ktwofish said:

We are currently on the Viking Octantis.  Just as everyone was getting ready for the morning landings, the captain announced there was an emergency and the ship would be loaded back up and headed for King George Island.  About an hour later, the expedition leader announce that we could not go to King George Island due to weather conditions preventing a plane from landing there (presumably to pick up the medical emergency.)  We are now headed back to Ushuaia cutting our time in Antarctica by 3 days.  It will be a 36+ hour trip back to Ushuaia.  We are disappointed but hopefully whomever is experiencing the medical emergency will be OK.  I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had to return early to Ushuaia.

Emergencies do happen, but I’m curious do you know what the issue was?   It seems like this Scenario has happen frequently and causes the cruise to divert.   Since,  there is an extensive medical forms to be filled out, are the emergencies  more of the broken bone or heart attack or something else?   

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

Emergencies do happen, but I’m curious do you know what the issue was?   It seems like this Scenario has happen frequently and causes the cruise to divert.   Since,  there is an extensive medical forms to be filled out, are the emergencies  more of the broken bone or heart attack or something else?   

Viking is very protective about folks having medical emergencies. Unless you know the passenger affected or passengers who know them - the Viking crew will not share details about a passenger's health.  

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

The emergency situation was never divulged as it shouldn’t be.  The captain did say the Ushuaia hospital commended the ship’s medical staff on their care of the passenger.  Apparently this is the third medical emergency this season on the Octantis, and there was one on Polaris.  I understand one of these four emergencies was a crew member.  As you mentioned, the medical evaluation would have had no impact on an emergency like a broken bone or heart attack or ruptured appendix, etc.

We ended up going to Port Stanley, Falklands, after one sea day to get there and a final sea day return to Ushuaia.  

15 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

It seems like this Scenario has happen frequently and causes the cruise to divert.

The average age aboard the Viking is 60s-70s, with the more expensive itineraries trending higher age. I have no data of course, but I would expect health issues to be more prevalent among Viking than say Carnival on a caribbean itinerary.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cmason said:

The average age aboard the Viking is 60s-70s, with the more expensive itineraries trending higher age. I have no data of course, but I would expect health issues to be more prevalent among Viking than say Carnival on a caribbean itinerary.

Gosh...I don't feel old!   😄