will there ever be a NOT returning to base if there's a case

luckyinpa

3 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

the idea of evacuating the covid is a good one. if a copter costs 25K and there are 6000 people on board id gladly give 4 bucks toward the fee so they can get safe and better hospital care and the rest of us not have our trips cut short. i know id feel like crap knowing if i got it than i killed everyones vacation. 

But if one person comes down with COVID, then in all likelihood others have been exposed on the ship. Her or his spouse or other traveling mates, the steward who cleans his cabin, the people on the balcony next door who didn't wear masks when sitting there while their neighbors were out...

What is the rational thing to do at this point?  Let the infections slowly progress to the level of a Diamond Princess?  For those with short memories, you may want to reacquaint yourselves with the spread of infection on that ship over the course of less than 3 weeks, as shown below:

image.png.1dee12c52ace0097f176d2b60f79a534.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

But if one person comes down with COVID, then in all likelihood others have been exposed on the ship. Her or his spouse or other traveling mates, the steward who cleans his cabin, the people on the balcony next door who didn't wear masks when sitting there while their neighbors were out...

What is the rational thing to do at this point?  Let the infections slowly progress to the level of a Diamond Princess?  For those with short memories, you may want to reacquaint yourselves with the spread of infection on that ship over the course of less than 3 weeks, as shown below:

image.png.1dee12c52ace0097f176d2b60f79a534.png

Let us not forget that since no vaccine for Covid existed at that point none of those passengers had received it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

the idea of evacuating the covid is a good one. if a copter costs 25K and there are 6000 people on board id gladly give 4 bucks toward the fee so they can get safe and better hospital care and the rest of us not have our trips cut short. i know id feel like crap knowing if i got it than i killed everyones vacation. 

I don't think that's a solution. You are contagious 48 hours before you come down with symptoms. So, the person was already potentially spreading it among the other passengers and crew for 48 hours before they even thought they may be sick. The cat is essentially out of the bag at that point. If you can identify who they were in close contact with via contact tracing you might be able to quarantine just those people. But more likely they will just have to quarantine everyone. 

I happen to agree with the OP. Between the risks of getting cancelled at the last minute for a positive covid test, getting quarantined on the ship, getting the cruise cancelled due to a covid issue from the last cruise, getting unloaded in another country and stuck because of covid, or getting stuck in the disembarkation port due to covid - I'm not interested in cruising right now. 

I don't think this is comparable to any contagious disease in the past. There have certainly been cold, flu, and noro outbreaks on cruises but can't recall any where all the passengers were quarantined in their cabins and cruise was cancelled over it. Or the cruise had to return to port and all the passengers had to quarantine at a hotel before going home. 

• Thanks 1