Cruise line for middle age folks

Zdiva

16 minutes ago, Zdiva said:

Have really enjoyed traveling on Viking Ocean cruises. Want to find a similar experience on a ship with a younger median age. Any ideas?

I think most veteran cruisers will agree that, while premium/luxury lines (or even the upper end mass market lines like Celebrity and Viking) tend to cater primarily to adults, itinerary often determines the age demographic.

Our preferred line is Oceania and there is no question that its longer (3 wks+) cruises (particularly to more “exotic” locations [I.e., NOT Caribbean/Med/Alaska]) attracts a mostly retired passenger base.

However, on shorter (<2 weeks) itineraries, particularly the ones favored by college/university alumni associations (who often book O for food/service quality/value), the average age can drop by 10-20 years. We’ve seen this on an O “extended journey” comprised of a transatlantic segment + a Med segment. The second segment had folks in theirs 40s-50s and even kids.

44 minutes ago, Zdiva said:

Have really enjoyed traveling on Viking Ocean cruises. Want to find a similar experience on a ship with a younger median age. Any ideas?

Rookie error here.

While it’s true that certain lines cater to a primarily older passenger base, it is (IMO) itinerary that has a very significant effect on age demographics.

Short (<2-3 weeks) cruises to anywhere draw a mostly retired demographic. Short cruises (<2 weeks) to popular destinations (Alaska, Med, Caribbean) draw younger crowds if for no other reason that vacation time allowances.

That said, I’ve witnessed first hand an average 10-20 year drop on the same ship when comparing back-to-back segments with vastly different itinerary ports abd length.

FWIW, when asked by “younger” folks for a cruise line recommendation, my first response is “with whom do you want to dine?” “Do you want a conversation with someone who had decades of professional, personal travel et al. experiences OR do you want to discuss the topic - “How ‘bout them Niners?”

As has already been recommended, consider Oceania, which is very popular with college alumni groups and “foodies” of all ages.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Rookie error here.

While it’s true that certain lines cater to a primarily older passenger base, it is (IMO) itinerary that has a very significant effect on age demographics.

Short (<2-3 weeks) cruises to anywhere draw a mostly retired demographic. Short cruises (<2 weeks) to popular destinations (Alaska, Med, Caribbean) draw younger crowds if for no other reason that vacation time allowances.

That said, I’ve witnessed first hand an average 10-20 year drop on the same ship when comparing back-to-back segments with vastly different itinerary ports abd length.

FWIW, when asked by “younger” folks for a cruise line recommendation, my first response is “with whom do you want to dine?” “Do you want a conversation with someone who had decades of professional, personal travel et al. experiences OR do you want to discuss the topic - “How ‘bout them Niners?”

As has already been recommended, consider Oceania, which is very popular with college alumni groups and “foodies” of all ages.

Oops - senior moment. What I meant to say was: 

....Long (>2-3 weeks) cruises to anywhere draw a mostly retired demographic. Short cruises (<2 weeks) to popular destinations (Alaska, Med, Caribbean) draw younger crowds if for no other reason that vacation time allowances.....

Signed in and saw the correction... Oceania could be a good choice, but it's a roll of the dice unless you can find a themed or group cruise date. Check you professional organizations for group cruises. Or do serious web searching. Might I suggest a 911 cruise are frequently 30-52 folks. (Police,fire,medical folks) 

19 hours ago, Zdiva said:

Any cruise that is only 7 days in the Summer will generally have families with kids.

Disney cruises.

7 day cruises in the Summer with only 2 or 3 stops are sometimes considered "booze cruises" and attract a younger crowd.

On 2/4/2021 at 3:37 PM, Zdiva said:

Never been on Viking  so what age range are you looking for?

We sail mostly Oceania & while itineraries have  a younger  age group for the most part  the pax are well over 50

Most are fairly active  still

Seadream, Windstar, Star Clippers  may appeal to you

We loved our cruise on msc yacht club, no crowds , great lounge  with live music, outdoor area with restaurant , pool and hot tubs , lots of chairs. Drink package, WiFi included also butler assigned to your suite, very reasonable price.