This is depressing

slavetoabunny

8 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

I wonder if the Captain is ever NOT asked who's sailing the ship.  And hope he answers "My pet monkey" or in the case of Captain Kate on Celebrity Edge she pulls out a picture of her hairless Sphinx cat.

Capt Kate is truly a trailblazer for women. Kudos to her and what she has accomplished.  Bug Naked (her hairless cat) must be very proud of her...

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 2

I’ve had the pleasure of sailing with Captain Kate. She has the strongest presence of any captain I have sailed with. And her crew genuinely appeared to love her. I believe she has left the equinox for one of celebrities big girls, but I would consider it an honor to sail with her again anytime. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I’ve had the pleasure of sailing with Captain Kate. She has the strongest presence of any captain I have sailed with. And her crew genuinely appeared to love her. I believe she has left the equinox for one of celebrities big girls, but I would consider it an honor to sail with her again anytime. 

She seems quite the woman (and Captain). I find her story fascinating. I'm subscribed to her YouTube channel.

On 2/4/2021 at 9:31 PM, complawyer said:

dont be depressed, we're all in the same boat....

18 hours ago, xcell said:

they are "ships" not "boats" -- has it been that long since cruising you have forgotten -- joking of course...

Actually, there is one place where you can call a ship a "boat". It's up here on the Great Lakes (where I live). Great Lakes ore carriers are commonly referred to as "ore boats" up here on the Lakes.

Image result for great Lakes ore carriers

Btw, my uncle was one of the past Captains of the above pictured ship, the Roger Blough.

11 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Jimmy Buffett was literally the son of a son of a sailor. Jimmy Buffet's grandfather was a sailor out of Nova Scotia. As a child he was exposed to sailing through his grandfather and these experiences would go on to influence his later music.

I think about Paris when I'm high on red wine
I wish I could jump on a plane
So many nights I just dream of the ocean
 I wish I was sailin' again

And today is Bob Marley's Birthday as well - He would have been 76

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slavetoabunny said:

Having resigned myself to not sailing in 2021, my husband and I rented this secluded mountain cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains for a week.  We can even drive there.

https://www.georgiamtncabins.com/property/Reel-Medicine-Cabin-Blue-Ridge

Nice digs! I especially like the hot tub on the porch. Looks like you're going to have to change your CC profile pic. Instead of being on the railing of a cruise ship, you'll have to be posed on top of a mountain!

Have fun and enjoy your land-based get-away...

• Like 1

I'm just going to sit around depressed I guess. Today's paper says the new UK variant is now doubling in the US every 10 days, it is up to 45% more transmittable, and 48% of white Americans polled say they will not get the vaccine.  And this doctor said reality is until we reach about 80% herd immunity.....well....we're screwed.   Our ship will not be sailing with any degree of comfortable atmosphere for a long time.   

23 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Nice digs! I especially like the hot tub on the porch. Looks like you're going to have to change your CC profile pic. Instead of being on the railing of a cruise ship, you'll have to be posed on top of a mountain!

My wife and I just booked a week in New Hampshire in June and a week in the Outer Banks in September. 2020-2021 will be the years for a lot of land based vacations. Rentals in the Outer Banks are up 200% from two years ago

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

My wife and I just booked a week in New Hampshire in June and a week in the Outer Banks in September. 2020-2021 will be the years for a lot of land based vacations. Rentals in the Outer Banks are up 200% from two years ago

Nice. I know New Hampshire is beautiful (are you staying in the White Mountains?), I used to live in Vermont. Also, I love the Outer Banks as well, used to do road trips there when we lived in Virginia (metro D.C. area).

I may have to shift my focus like you guys are doing and look at land-based vacations (with cruising continuing to be shut down for who knows how much longer). Wish I wasn't such a "ship guy"...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I'm just going to sit around depressed I guess. Today's paper says the new UK variant is now doubling in the US every 10 days, it is up to 45% more transmittable, and 48% of white Americans polled say they will not get the vaccine.  And this doctor said reality is until we reach about 80% herd immunity.....well....we're screwed.   Our ship will not be sailing with any degree of comfortable atmosphere for a long time.   

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Nice. I know New Hampshire is beautiful (are you staying in the White Mountains?), I used to live in Vermont. Also, I love the Outer Banks as well, used to do road trips there when we lived in Virginia (metro D.C. area).

I may have to shift my focus like you guys are doing and look at land-based vacations (with cruising continuing to be shut down for who knows how much longer). Wish I wasn't such a "ship guy"...

We stay around the town of Jackson, which is just north of North Conway. If we don't do a winter cruise we normally spend 4-5 days in Jackson skiing and snowmachineing. Best cross country skiing on the east coast

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 6:47 PM, PelicanBill said:

I wonder if the Captain is ever NOT asked who's sailing the ship.  And hope he answers "My pet monkey" or in the case of Captain Kate on Celebrity Edge she pulls out a picture of her hairless Sphinx cat.

We've had a captain answer, "My best employee.  He never asks for time off and never asks for a raise.  His name is autopilot".

9 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Or sitting in the hot tub sipping wine!!  I'm really excited about the cabin.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, farmersfight said:

You can't beat the Outer Banks in September. The weather is still awesome and the prices really come down. We have a 5 bedroom 5 bath ocean front for $2900. Long story short we made friends with a couple from Montreal on a 14 day cruise in 2018. They were supposed to meet us in Jackson NH for a couple days June of 2020. Border was closed, then they were supposed to come to the Outer Banks in September 2020 with us. Border still closed. I really hope the can make in in September 2021 Lol

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Laszlo said:

You can't beat the Outer Banks in September. The weather is still awesome and the prices really come down. We have a 5 bedroom 5 bath ocean front for $2900. Long story short we made friends with a couple from Montreal on a 14 day cruise in 2018. They were supposed to meet us in Jackson NH for a couple days June of 2020. Border was closed, then they were supposed to come to the Outer Banks in September 2020 with us. Border still closed. I really hope the can make in in September 2021 Lol

@Laszlo
Is this the weekly rate?
I could see potential for a Von Bond w/ this one :)